Detective work room

Z. Russo

‘ dident have the chance to, we entered guns drawn gave commands he refused and before i could even think to holster my weapon and pull my taser he was around with his gun aimed at me,the tone of his noncompliance  led me to belive that had i not of shot him,he would of shot me, if i had to guess he was high on something so theres no garuntees less lethal would of worked, given the chance if i had a choice to draw a less lethel i would of,but he did not allow choice’

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Sergeant Jason Paterson, K9 Unit
Unit 230

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1337

‘ didn't have the chance to, we entered guns drawn gave commands he refused and before i could even think to holster my weapon and pull my taser he was around with his gun aimed at me,the tone of his noncompliance  led me to believe that had i not of shot him,he would of shot me, if i had to guess he was high on something so there's no guarantees less lethal would of worked, given the chance if i had a choice to draw a less lethal i would of,but he did not allow choice’

'Correct me if I'm wrong but you are a supervisor so your vehicle would have a less lethal shotgun in it that could have been taken prior to entry. In addition you also had the dog as well as your taser'

Detective Sergeant Edward McSorley
Unit Unassigned

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department Professional Standards Division
Badge 2042

‘ no your correct,what i ment by he did not allow a choice was that my truck had barely even stopped i skidded maybe a foot and by the time im even halfway out of my truck, the dog makes entry, trys to bite the perp and i hear the shots and subsequent yelp of the family dog’

* i sigh mentally remembering this guys never walked a beat*

‘ i called im on scene and not even 10 seconds after that i had to call in that he shot as i arrived, there was no time for me to grab anything out of my cruiser,and im not about to risk my dog  only for it to get shot upon entry doing so exposes what i deem an unnessary risk to everybody involved,includeing the perp, i enter with my taser drawn im not covering my partner incase he gets shot  Then i have a fellow officer down with a chance the taser fails to stop the perp potentially getting myself shot, i had no visual on the perp untill we made entry,theres no conceiveable time to use a less lethel untill we gave commands,but the perp turned with such speed thst there would not of been time for either of us to deploy a taser’

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

‘No your correct,what i meant by he did not allow a choice was that my truck had barely even stopped i skidded maybe a foot and by the time im even halfway out of my truck, the dog makes entry, try's to bite the perp and i hear the shots and subsequent yelp of the family dog’

* i sigh mentally remembering this guys never walked a beat*

‘ i called im on scene and not even 10 seconds after that i had to call in that he shot as i arrived, there was no time for me to grab anything out of my cruiser,and im not about to risk my dog  only for it to get shot upon entry doing so exposes what i deem an unnecessary risk to everybody involved,including the perp, i enter with my taser drawn im not covering my partner incase he gets shot  Then i have a fellow officer down with a chance the taser fails to stop the perp potentially getting myself shot, i had no visual on the perp until we made entry,theres no conceivable time to use a less lethal until we gave commands,but the perp turned with such speed that there would not of been time for either of us to deploy a taser’

'So I'm hearing poor judgment and bad tactics. Deputy Allen said there was enough time for him to put a vest on prior to your arrival. But your saying there was no time. I know a lot can change in a few minutes but something is not right here. And you didn't want to risk your dog, Which would have been a useful tool to restrain the perp. If I'm not correct I believe the K9 vehicles have a way to pop the rear door so the K9 can be deployed before the officer driving can get out. You know as a K9 Deputy you may have to put your dog into dangerous situations. Right?'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

‘ you say poor judgement, i counter with a rapidly devloping situation,deputy allen had his extra vest on prior to my arrival,as i pulled into the driveway of the residence the family dog entered as i stepped out of 230 the suspect shot said family dog,i was not about to send my k9 into a situation blindly without a way to cover it, that would be my disservice as a k9 handler and potentially get a sheriffs k9 killed, while i dont dispute that there were other options i recognize i was unable to feasibly and effectively employ them’

* i take a breath in my answer *
‘ unless you rather i send my dog in blindly to a perp in a defensible position and then run in after him while hoping my dogs not killed in the distance it takes me to enter the residence , as to the door poper system we have on k9 cars i refer to what i said above, i fully aknowledge the inherent risk a police K9 has to have,its my job as a handlier to mitigate as much of said risk as feesably possible while allowing it to fo the job the department bought it for,when we enforce the laws of shiloh county’

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

‘You say poor judgement, i counter with a rapidly developing situation,deputy allen had his extra vest on prior to my arrival,as i pulled into the driveway of the residence the family dog entered as i stepped out of 230 the suspect shot said family dog,i was not about to send my k9 into a situation blindly without a way to cover it, that would be my disservice as a k9 handler and potentially get a sheriffs k9 killed, while i dont dispute that there were other options i recognize i was unable to feasibly and effectively employ them,unless you rather i send my dog in blindly to a perp in a defensible position and then run in after him while hoping my dogs not killed in the distance it takes me to enter the residence , as to the door popper system we have on k9 cars i refer to what i said above, i fully acknowledge the inherent risk a police K9 has to have,its my job as a handler to mitigate as much of said risk as feasibly possible while allowing it to fo the job the department bought it for,when we enforce the laws of shiloh county’

'So you think that your dogs life is more important than a Human's. Thats concerning. Now, there is something that we need to discuss, You have been disciplined before due to use of force and poor judgment. Now what I'm seeing is a trend, Did you go into this situation and dismiss less lethal because you saw an opportunity to kill someone? Am I dealing with someone who is a liability. Am I dealing with an idiot or am I dealing with a rogue cop? Your file has quite a few complaints in it. Now tell me what kind of police officer am I dealing with.'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

‘your dealing with a  good police officer whos caught a lot of bad breaks, one thats listens to his gut while i do admit i could of made better choices had i got on scene 2-3 minutes ealier my gut said breach with weapons drawn as the perp had fired a weapon which killed a dog i had no way of knowing if the first shot missed or struck our EMT,i have a vest if i get shot i can both potentially survive it  as my vest takes the slug and defend myself, a police k9 gets shot and while it might survive the shot it more often then not cannot defend itself afterwards As the impact tends to be at the head or neck, both areas not covered to well by its vest, i had no way of knowing if a probationary deputy would of froze upon my dog making entry or would of followed it as he was stacked on the door and he had already delayed entry once already  so i was looking out for everybodys life, including the perps but again due to how things transpired after entry i was forced to shoot,had the perp not been standing over the EMT and not of turned leveling his weapon to chest height,i would not of fired,I could ld not risk a taser induced muscle contraction squeezeing the trigger putting potentally another round in our EMT’

* i sigh this was gonna be a loooong explanation*
‘ during my stint as an FTO and as a supervisior i got familer with all  patrol deputys both to see how i could potentially mentor and guide them and so i myself had an idea how in the event Patrol had more new hires then FTO’s   i could assist the other FTO’s  by having a ride along and how best to train them‘

* another pause and yet more ecplaining* my responsibility as a K9 officer ontop of enforceing the law is to is to employ my K9 in a smart efficient manor on calls  as is my responsibility to maintain my uniform my weapon my cruiser and my gear as every part of me represents the entire sheriffs department while on shift,were shiloh countys finest afterall,i dont deny that my dog taser or shotgun were options, im admiting due to the nature of the calls progression, We entered weapons drawn because the offender had just shot an animal and i as the seinor officer felt that an immediate entry would prevent further death, you suggest alternitives a taser ectra i have said numrous times that from my arrivial there was no time for them to be safely employed’

*another pause  while i keep my temper and tone in check,IA probably has never walked the street only  the station, he also has our policy book memorized  to my guess is the letter i needed to remember that,while i try to explain that said policys need to allow flexability*
 ‘for me to enter with anything but my weapon in this case would be a  further risk to life as the suspect was presumed in a defensable location and now pissed off by the failed dog attack i made the call to enter because cops need to head towards gunfire sometimes to save an innocent life’

‘after we entered and we saw the perp had his back to us,the thought of less lethal crossed my mind but in the seconds it would of taken to draw said option the act would of gotten myself or any other party involved shot as he  turned around so fast with his weapon aimed at me  as we issued commands and before we can even think to find cover or employ less lethal means he became a direct threat to my life and deputy allen and we fired, if i could of employed a less lethal i would of ,the scene escalated upon my arrival, and like i said had i been able to arrive sooner i could of had a better chance to employ  or my k9’

* i take another breath mentally sighing* ‘ i also dont discount the fact the entire situation could of potentially been difused had probationary deputy allen entered the residence and confronted the suspect,but in my past stint as a Field Training Officer for this department and having trained probationary deputys much like him for him to hesitate in this kind of situation is not uncommon some people freeze up,with most there trained out of the habit before a situation like this occurs but as he entered behind me and subsequently shot at a threat when i shot,im confidant he will have my fellow officers backs should this unfortunate situation inwhich said officers are forced to take a life occours again’

* its probably foolish but i want a reaction now even though i doubt he’ll bite*

’ humor me sergeant, how would you handle the incident if you were in my shoes,you roll up to two gunshots after a dog bursts through the fromt door, i mean youve called me out for presumed bad tactics and judgement,what would you of done diffrently,in my eyes your an untrained new hire cause from what ive heard,youve never even been on the streets,from judicial services to IA,so howed i exercise bad tactics and judgement, have you ever had to take as you put it certain risks, if i werent a K9 officer would you of rather i order the probationary deputy to enter without being able to cover him immediately therefor risking an officer down situation?’

* i finish the statement locking eyecontact with him*

Edited by Vanguard
  • Thanks 1

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

’Humor me sergeant, how would you handle the incident if you were in my shoes,you roll up to two gunshots after a dog bursts through the fromt door, i mean youve called me out for presumed bad tactics and judgement,what would you of done diffrently,in my eyes your an untrained new hire cause from what ive heard,youve never even been on the streets,from judicial services to IA,so howed i exercise bad tactics and judgement, have you ever had to take as you put it certain risks, if i werent a K9 officer would you of rather i order the probationary deputy to enter without being able to cover him immediately therefor risking an officer down situation?’

*The sergeant makes finishes his rant. I zoned out for most of it*

'Number one, I don't have to justify anything I do to you. I don't answer to you. You answer to me as I am investigating you for use of force. And the fact that you got hostile with an internal affairs supervisor during a routine investigation make me question if you are capable of remaining in your current role. I don't give a shit about the good you've done for the department or the county. When you get to my desk I only look at the bad. Considering there is a laundry list of questionable behavior and not understanding how an IA investigation works. I'm tempted to recommend modified duty pending psych eval and termination but not before reassignment to a non enforcement clerical position until a disiplin board is held.'

*I clear my throat.*

'Unless you have a major attitude adjustment in the next 30 seconds I will take your dog, I will take your gun and make the rest of your short time at SCSD a living hell. Do I make myself clear?'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

* he called me out not what i was expecting i guess even though we share the same rank he is to full of himself or thinks his shit dont stink to entertain my question, i hold my nerves then speak regaining the  Nerve i let show*

‘ crystal sergeant,for the remainder of both the interview and my career,my attitude will civil and as non hostile as can be,when dealing with you  and your partners from here on out, but i reiterate for the record,that i have stated the facts on the call as they happened and no matter how many times asked they will not change’ 

*i bite my tongue on the rest of the sentenence both literally and so i dont punch a   bitch who thinks a law degree makes him a god, he’ll retire or otherwise fuck up and things will go vastly different someday and I cant  wait for either day as his self built mountian crumbles and his world changes, we both afterall put our pants on the same way as the saying goes*

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

‘Crystal sergeant,for the remainder of both the interview and my career,my attitude will civil and as non hostile as can be,when dealing with you  and your partners from here on out, but i reiterate for the record,that i have stated the facts on the call as they happened and no matter how many times asked they will not change’

'Considering I have all I need this interview is over and your terrible attitude will be noted.'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

‘ noted and understood’ * saying that i move to stand reaching for my phone as i turn  almost like a soldier would on my heel and walk out pulling my phone and whike my hand is fully in the pocket i put it in flipping the lawyer the bird before pulling my cell  to dial a ride*

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

• 2 weeks later...

"you guy's ever do vice work or street level undercover work"

"Not with the Sherriff's office ma'am. but when i was working with Denver PD i did some Street level Stuff. What's the Game plan"

* i spin my chair around back to face my computer and start to login* 

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Sheriff's Detective Blake Spaulding

Unit unassigned

Badge 2039

"Not with the Sherriff's office ma'am. but when i was working with Denver PD i did some Street level Stuff. What's the Game plan"

'A few but not recently'

'Ok so you know the deal, One UC and an arrest team. One of my CIs sent me some numbers of people who may be selling some dope in south river. All street level shit and these guys are pretty shitty to begin with. Have either of you bought heroin before?'

detfordblackdet.png

Detective Liza Horowitz
Unit 302 -- Organized Crime

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1510

'Ok so you know the deal, One UC and an arrest team. One of my CIs sent me some numbers of people who may be selling some dope in south river. All street level shit and these guys are pretty shitty to begin with. Have either of you bought heroin before?'

'No Ma'am the stuff i did in Denver was weed and coke never dealt with Heroin out there'

*I start to check my Email's looking for anything out of the ordinary*

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Unit unassigned

Badge 2039

'No Ma'am the stuff i did in Denver was weed and coke never dealt with Heroin out there'

'Alright so were looking to buy in bags. Like 2 or 3 bags. My CI gave me a few phone numbers and street names. I got a few burner cell phones from evidence that we can use'

detfordblackdet.png

Detective Liza Horowitz

Badge 1510

'Alright so were looking to buy in bags. Like 2 or 3 bags. My CI gave me a few phone numbers and street names. I got a few burner cell phones from evidence we can use'

'Ok so whose doing what here?.'

*seeing nothing interesting i turn back towards the Narc Lady and lean back in my chair* 

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Unit unassigned

Badge 2039

'Ok so whose doing what here?.'

'You look too much like a cop. So you want to do arrest team.'

*I look at morris*

'Little hell raiser over could pass as a Junkie but its better to have two on the arrest team.'

detfordblackdet.png

Detective Liza Horowitz

Badge 1510

'You look too much like a cop. So you want to do Arrest team. Little hell raiser over here could pass as a junkie but it's better to have two on the arrest team'

'Ok so doesn't Morris Do the Deal then me and you be on the arrest team?, do we have any patrol units running back up on this with us?'

*i look at Morris myself. She doesn't look like a junkie but is clearly a hell raiser but then again all of us were when we were her age god i would kill to be her age again it sucks being old*

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Unit unassigned

Badge 2039

'Yeah, sure, I could make myself look like a junkie.'

Though I think both of you are closer to looking to one more than me I think to myself.

'Would have to go home to get a band shirt and some ripped jeans though.  We got time for that?  When we doing this?'

detfordblackdet.png

Detective Emily Morris
Unit 302

Shiloh County Sheriff Department Detective
Badge 1504

• 5 months later...

*Entering the office i flip the lights on seeing clearly i'm the only detective to sign on to shift today i head over to my desk and login to the computer and start to look at the news thats happened the last couple of shifts* 

'God i gotta make some calls and get shit set up for this sting'

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Unit unassigned

Badge 2039

After grabbing a coffee from the machine i enter the detective squad,im the tallest pereson in the room  which is nearly empty barring a few doing overtime worm from another shift and my partner*

'blake,,what all do we have if anything?' * i say as i sit into a chair*

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Detective Peter Karlsson
Unit unassigned

Badge 2113

'blake,,what all do we have if anything?'

*turning towards my partner with portable radio in hand*

'We were going to be getting ready for a drug sting but other matters have risen sounds like we're going to be needed down in oxnard they have an active shooter lets ride'

*standing up i make quick strides towards the door* 

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Unit unassigned

Badge 2039