Detective work room

Z. Russo

Located on the first floor, on the opposite side of the building from the Uniform Division Platoon room, this general work area is shared by all detectives. Each division has an office on the perimeter of the workroom, as well as the Detectives Divisional Captain. 

image.jpeg.cf361fb4ac3293bedec069b7043e18ec.jpeg

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

• 1 month later...

*Entering the Detective Squad Room the lights are dimmed and the place is empty.  Fucking hell I sigh.  These bastards better be out on assignment or something.  Leaving the room I head back to my office, no, fuck it, I'm going down to the gym and see if I can break the punching bag with my kicks.*

sd200lt.png

Lieutenant Andrew Blackburn
Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

• 2 weeks later...

*I walk into the Squad room. It's early. I'm the first one in for the morning. I walk over to the coffee machine, empty it and clean it out in the nearby sink. I empty out the old coffee grounds and throw them into the garbage. I put a new coffee filter in and scoop a few scoops from the red plastic bin of coffee grounds. I close the lid of the coffee maker. I fill the coffee pot with water and pour it into the coffee maker. I replace the coffee pot and hit the BREW button.*

The coffee machine comes to life. I wait around. I hate having to make the damn coffee, but there something about being here first that's peaceful. Maybe its the lack of goddamn people.

As I wait for the coffee to finish brewing, I grab a newspaper from the bundle on the counter. It's today's paper. I open it up and read what bullshit the media is feeding to us today.

As the coffee finishes I grab a cup and pour myself some fresh coffee. I add cream and 1 sugar and give it a stir. I head to my desk, newspaper and coffee in hand. I have a seat. I sip the coffee. It tastes like mud, but it'll do. I thumb through the paper....nothing good.

I'm still alone, I don't expect anyone will be coming in for at least another 20 minutes. I really ought to get caught up on my emails, but....

*I open my desk drawer and dig deep into it. I pull out a copy of Playboy magazine and open it inside of the newspaper so as to hide what I'm truly reading.*

sd301det.png

Detective Patrick Hannagan
Shiloh County Sheriff Department Deputy
Badge 2009

• 1 month later...

*I walk into the squad room and walk over to a seemingly empty desk. My partner walks over to hers, Seeing as were going to working together I walk over to introduce myself*

'Hey, I'm Steve I'm the new transfer from the county narco task force'

sd302det.png

Detective Steve Lattanzio
Unit 302

Badge 2038

*Walking to my desk and sitting down in my chair the new guy introduces himself.  Spinning around I greet him in return.*

'Welcome, I'm Emily'

*Extending my hand for a handshake I wonder how long this guy will last.   There was Horowitz, Peck, probably a few others, and I wonder where Hannagan went.  Probably had a heart attack.  That fat bastard.*

detfordblackdet.png

Detective Emily Morris
Unit 302

Shiloh County Sheriff Department Detective
Badge 1504

*I shake her hand and settle into my desk. I see that there’s a open report for a robbery involving an elderly lady in southriver. There’s a post it note on top of the report from the captain saying “Priority”* 

‘Looks like we have our first open case.’

*I go through the case folder to see the contact information and see the contact information so we can make a follow up call so we can set up an interview*

sd302det.png

Unit 302

Badge 2038

'Felony Assault and Robbery. Perp mugged an old lady in south river. The report says that they got 80 bucks and an EBT card from her.'

*I pick up the desk phone and dial the number.*

'Hi Is this Carmen Rodriguez?'

'Yes'

'This is Detective Lattanzio with the sheriff's department, I'm calling to follow up with the incident that happened a few days ago. How are you feeling?'

'I'm ok the hospital said I have a bone bruise on my hip.'

'At least its not broken. Can we speak to you in person sometime today? You can meet us here or we can come to you. Whatevers easier.'

'You can come any time I'm home all day/, I'm at 415 South Second St.'

'Ok We'll see you then.'

*I hang up the phone.*

'We have an interview. You want to head out? '

sd302det.png

Unit 302

Badge 2038

• 4 weeks later...

*I finish the receipt and hand it to him.*

'Heres the receipt of the firearms. We'll call you if we need anything from you'

Detective Sergeant Edward McSorley
Unit Unassigned

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department Professional Standards Division
Badge 2042

• 1 month later...

*Its 1am, I got called in from the desk saying that there's a prisoner that needed to be debriefed that wont shut up in the cells. Since I'm on nightwatch with spaulding were the on calls for this shit. I arrive to the office in a polo and khakis. I put a kcup in the machine as I get the paperwork and voice recorder ready. I flip through the oncall list for the DAs office. The desk officer saw me come so hopefully he got the prisoner ready.I get the paperwork ready as I wait for Spaulding*

sd302det.png

Unit 302

Badge 2038

*i walk into the detectives room and see steve flipping through paperwork*. 

‘Morning steve have you gone over the folder yet?’  

*i sit down at my desk and sign into my computer* 

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Sheriff's Detective Blake Spaulding

Unit unassigned

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 2039

'It looks like some Junkie that was caught up on what looks to be felony shoplifting wants to turn on her dealer. Probably looking at getting a plea deal. She's still in holding. You know which ADA is working tonight?'

sd302det.png

Unit 302

Badge 2038

• 1 month later...

*i walk into the room and flip the lights on and sit down in my chair at my desk and log into my computer seeing a case from last shift*

'Shit i forgot about this case guess i gotta call Lattanzio to find out if he will be coming in for this shift or not' 

*i pull my phone out of my suit pocket and unlock it and send Lattanzio a text*

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Unit unassigned

Badge 2039

• 4 weeks later...

*we pull back into the stations parking lot and head into the Detectives office and i sit down at my desk*

'Lattanzio if you wanna bring the phone and wallet to Evidence for Processing i'll finish off the paper work'

*i place the Two Evidence bags down on my desk for Lattanzio to grab and then log into my computer and start Paper work*

'Suspect will be charged with Assualt in the first degree. the Law reads "A person is guilty of assault in the first degree when: 1. With intent to cause serious physical injury to another person, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument; or 2. With intent to disfigure another person seriously and permanently, or to destroy, amputate or disable permanently a member or organ of his body, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person; or 3. Under circumstances evincing a depraved indifference to human life, he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to another person, and thereby causes serious physical injury to another person; or 4. In the course of and in furtherance of the commission or attempted commission of a felony or of immediate flight therefrom, he, or another participant if there be any, causes serious physical injury to a person other than one of the participants."'

*i enter on my report and send it to the database and turn my computer off and wait for Lattanzio to get back from Evidence*

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Unit unassigned

Badge 2039

*i enter the office and sit down at the desk with my name on it and turn my computer on and well it warms up i look at the notes for the day and see a follow up on the stabbing from last shift*. 

‘great guess I’m handling a follow up for today interesting i gotta get some paperwork done first though’ 

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Unit unassigned

Badge 2039

• 2 months later...

*I get the notification there has been an officer involved shooting from communications. I get the paperwork to start the process for an officer involved shooting process set up so its ready when I come back. I walk over to get the keys to an unmarked car and I leave my office*

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

*I walk into the detective squad room and into my office. Seeing the deputy on the bench outside my office give him a nod to come in.*

'Come in, I'm going to need your gun so ballistics can process it.'

*As I sit down I grab an evidence bag and open it. I open the recording app on my department phone.*

'So as you know this shooting is now under the investigation of internal affairs, Due to your probationary status you do not have union representation and as of now we are recording.'

'This is Sergeant Edward McSorely badge 2042 opening up the record the time is now 1142 hours. Can you state your name, badge and rank for the record.'

'Deputy Christopher James Micheal badge 2109.'

'Can you tell me what happened from the moment you took the call on the radio?'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

*As I listen I take a few notes on the computer. While this is a good shoot it seems like this deputies actions were unwarranted and are cause for concern.*

'Alright, I have a few questions for you. Given the original audio which I pulled the dispatcher said that it was a man with a gun. You delaying response by not using your emergency equipment is questionable judgment. Additionally you said you did not have your gun out and were trying to negotiate with him. This is your first day on the job, Unless your last job was hostage negotiator what makes you think you have the capabilities and training of talking an armed man down?'

*I pause waiting for a response.*

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

‘Sir, Before my job here I was with the 1st Combat Engineer Battalion, in my time there I was a trained EOD Tech. There were times that I needed to talk down our suspect to get to a bomb to save a great many lives. The suspect in this case was questioning his own actions when I arrived, if he was not he would have fired upon me the minute I pulled up. WIth the vantage point that he had he knew I was arriving on scene a half block before I pulled up.’ 

'Unless you were trained by THIS department your military experience is irrelevant. As far as this department is concerned you are not qualified in any way shape or form to make that call of what a perp is thinking. In face we have a specialized unit for psych calls. Which you made no effort to request am I correct in my assumption?'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

‘At that moment in time I had not called for anything but back up for the call. I was waiting for another officer to have help in further assessing the situation in which I sat. May I ask you a question before we go any further Sir?’

'As long as it pertains to this investigation.'

*I say as I type my notes. Asking questions is normal for this type of investigation, Mostly pertaining to the perps condition or my investigative process.*

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

‘My Assumption is that you have spent time on the streets with other officers, with other people around that you have had to keep in mind while making the choices in your actions, would this be correct?’ 

‘If this is correct that means that you have also had to make calls that were questionable for the safety of those whom you thought were involved in the situation. Bringing up now that in my time talking to command I also stated that there might be a child in the house. There were children's toys all across the yard, with that in mind I felt that my actions were in fact needed. Not only was there the victim's life, my life, but the possible life of a child involved in this situation. With only one shot fired we as officers should rest a little easier that a child was not hurt in a mass raining of bullets.’ 

*I clear my throat.*

'See, Right now your making assumptions instead of looking at facts. You ASSUMED that the there were children in the house, While ignoring the FACT that there was a man brandishing a firearm at you and a third party. Did you take into consideration there could have been innocent civilians in the house being you, OR caught elsewhere in the crossfire. Did you ignore the FACT that this man is a clear and present threat to everyone on the block? Because it sounds to me as if your trying to play hero and hope everyone has a happy ending. Meanwhile your going to get either yourself or someone else killed because you think this is a TV show. If that's how you feel maybe this isn't the job for you. '

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042