Kimberley Lumber Mill, Working Fire

ENGINE 11, LADDER 31, UNIT 22, additional resources below. WORKING STRUCTURE FIRE, KIMBERLEY LUMBER MILL. 

*As I walk around the bullpen, Charles flags me down before I even get to speak to anyone else. I walk straight over there.*

'What's wrong-'

'KVFR. They're upgrading to commercial structure fire.'

'Jesus? This late? It's been what, 3 hours?'

'Yeah, I guess it's not under control. I'm toning out a full commercial alarm. But our primaries are down. Clinton'

'I just looked at it. Go with 6, 1 and 4. They all available?'

'Yeah. One second. I'll send those.'

'I'm going to set up in the EOC. I want you in there with me. Something tells me, if this is an upgrade 3 hours in, it should've been upgraded 3 hours ago.'

'I know.' He says, trailing off.

*I log into the EOC computer, bringing up the active emergency screen and opening this call. Kimberley. Fucking Useless. I think to myself. Seconds after it loads, I see the SCFD units get updated. The Screen now reads:

KV-E1 - O/S
KV-U1 - O/S
KV-U2 - O/S
KV-R1 - O/S
KV-T1 - O/S
SC-E11 - TONE
SC-E14 - TONE
SC-E16 - TONE
SC-L31 - TONE
SC-L32 - TONE
SC-R2 - TONE
SC-Q24 - TONE
SC-22 - TONE
SC-RIT - TONE
SC-T31 - PAGE
SC-T32 - TONE

*Man that's gonna be a lot of trucks. I lean across the desk, and catch a glimpse of Aylward's desk light flicking from yellow to off, meaning he's off dispatching, signed off and on his way to the on site EOC. Hopefully it's enough to handle it all. Grabbing the radio mic I was reaching for, I switch to county comms and key up.* 

"50-12, ERT."

*after a few seconds, I hear a response.*

"50-12."

"We just got an upgrade to commercial structure fire on the Kimberley call. We've moved to the management center."

"Yeah okay, 10-4. I'll continue in and meet you there."

*He's going to be pissed.I think, to myself, though I'm sure my face says it out loud too. As Aylward enters the EOC, I look to him with obvious concern.*

'We've got a hell of a shit show brewing I think. Any word on just how big of one it is?'

'Well, I just saw on Twitter... It's. Well, here, you take a look'

*With that, a picture loads up on his phone, nothing but a column of thick black smoke.*

*As my call with Russo finishes, I hear the radio.*

"50-12, ERT."

*Shit, this isn't gonna be good.*

"50-12."

"We just got an upgrade to commercial structure fire on the Kimberley call. We've moved to the management center."

"Yeah okay, 10-4. I'll continue in and meet you there."

*I open the call list and see the swath responding on the MDT. I debate the lights, but instead just switch to working fire channel and see what I hear, while I drive in. I turn up the news radio slightly, just enough to hear what's happening.*

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

The tones drop as I'm finishing up my dinner. I hear commercial fire and get up, of course the second that the squad goes OOS we get a fire, and it's at a fucking lumber yard. I get up and go down to the bay and get my shit on, and slide into the officer's seat. "County from Squa- correction Ladder 31 enroute." I say on my portable. I flip open the map book to figure out the water supply and then see the additional info about the volunteer clusterfuck going on at the scene. I sigh out loud.  

Fire%20Generic.png
Firefighter/Paramedic Ewan Raven, Paramedic In Charge
Unit unassigned

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1142

*Jumping up from the table, I look over at my pizza depressingly. Only two pieces gone. I should've had a second one. I run to the bay, gotta remember how to drive this thing. Hopping in, I turn on the engine, pop out to open the bay door, pull on my boots and throw my jacket from the engine, grabbing my helmet, which I almost forgot, and throw it in the engineer's compartment.*

'Alright, I guess you're assuming the officer's seat?' I say to my new friend. We've got two more climbing in the back, and with a drive to Kimberley, a long time to make friends.*

"County From Squa- Ladder 31 en route"

*I guess that's my queue to pull out. I go forward, reaching up to activate the lights and the siren, almost simultaneously, and then have to stop to wait for traffic to clear.*

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*My stomach rumbles and I take the extra second to grab a fast break off my desk when I grab the keys. I keep those for times like this, and I need to calm down. It's going to be quite the drive over, and likely an impressive parade.*

"Dispatch, Shift 22 responding."

*I debate briefly between music and news, and figure I need at least some of the drive to calm down. It would NOT do for the news to see a shiloh county officer going off on anyone and I just might, with the history of stupidity that Kimberly has.*

FireCpt%20Generic.png

Captain Karen Summers
Unit Not Assigned

Badge 1612

As we pull out and Frank and Hannahan get situated in the back I look up and see a massive column of smoke miles in the distance. I sigh again and switch the radio over to the volunteer's tac channel gateway and listen to the pandemonium. I keep my portable on our dispatch and tac scan so I don't miss anything. 

Fire%20Generic.png
Unit unassigned

Badge 1142

*Listening to the flurry of incoming en routesm I try to keep track of it all, updating each on on the screen and radio as they report. This is going to be one helluva traffic snarl when all these units descend. Actually, looking at it, we don't even have an EMS unit on scene yet. Jesus, no rehab? Holy shit? Switching to the EMS frequency for county 911.*

"Available 911 Ambulance, we need a unit to standby at working structure fire, Kimberley Lumber Yard."

Lieutenant Charles Aylward
Shiloh County ERT Communications Dispatch Supervisor
Badge 1663

*In the middle of cleaning the poop, I hear the tones drop and the light above the Engine and Ladder and the Unit light up.*

'Oh cool a call.'

*Thinking its something simple like a fire alarm, I walk over to my gear and start to casually put it on, until I hear the robolady say Structure.*

'Oh, this kinda call!'

*I mutter to myself slipping into my pants. I turn around and grab my shit from the back of the Engine and throw it on the Ladder, grab the rail and pull myself in the seat behind the officer. My blood boiled with anticipation the moment I shut the door behind me. I took a peek at the MDT and saw a list of units from the county assigned to it. That's more than usual! With my jacket finally slipped on, I sit down in my seat slide the pack straps on my shoulders and sit back.*

'All good back here!'

*I say watching Frank get in.*

spacer.png

Firefighter John Hannahan, EMT
Ladder 31

Badge 1132

*I head to the engine, getting my boots and pants. I climb into the driver's seat and crank the engine up, hitting the door switch and master emergency button. Once the lieutenant and the two firefighters are aboard, I pull out of the bay. I turn on the PowerCall and step on the Q pedal, winding it up. I reach up and yank the airhorn chain repeatedly as we pull into traffic, accelerating quickly to catch up to the truck company.*

'Looks like we get us a fucking worker! That's what I'm fucking talking about!'

u22apc.png

Acting Platoon Chief Marcus Stone
Unit 22

Badge 1909

*Another unit marks themselves responding, the radio keys up. Before I have a chance to respond on the general channel, I hear through county tactical:*

"COMMAND, WE HAVE A MAYDAY. MAYDAY MAYDAY."

*Shit, it's gone worst case scenario. That voice, he's scared. In the half second that I hear the first Mayday until I hear the last, it feels like five minutes pass. One the screen I see a man down activation on one radio. I acknowledge the man down alarm and then press the emergency traffic button on the screen, now highlighted red, an autonomous process whenever a mandown is activated. I wait three seconds while the warble plays. I know anyone listening to the channel that knows that sound knows it's time to shut the fuck up.*

"All units, clear traffic. We have a mayday. Go ahead command, this is ERT."

*Silence for a second.*

"Kimberley Command, this is ERT, do you copy?"

*Another radio lights up on the radio screen, a second man down. Shit. Please be vollies that don't know how to use their radios.*

"ERT, I've got two firefighters down. I REPEAT TWO MAYDAYS."

*Oh my god.*

"10-4 Command, start rescue operations, closest responding units are being assigned to Mayday support. BREAK. Engine 16, ERT"

"16 Sir."

"When you arrive, I need your team immediately on rescue with KVFR."

"10-4 sir. ETA Two minutes."

*Shit, we still don't have any ambulances. God dammit.*

'Charles, can you try to find some ALS units to get out this way? No one is answering radio. Where is everyone?'

"10-4 Engine 16. Kimberley Command, Engine 16 is two minutes out."

"10-4"

"All responding apparatus to Kimblerley, be advised, two mayday activations."

*I look to Aylward who's working away at the lists, getting ready to key up a direct dispatch, calling available EMS I hope. This just got a whole lot worse.*

"I picked the wrong day to quit smoking. Hopefully you're not a tattletale Jennifer." I say and roll down the window. I pull out my emergency stash of nicotine and light up. It's an old ass truck anyway. I go ahead and thumb through the map book as the column of smoke gets ever bigger. It doesn't look like there's much in terms of water supply, I keep flipping around trying to find a water source we can draft from, relay from, or shuttle from. 

That's when the mayday went out. It's been a long time since I've heard those words, the surge of adrenaline hits but there are no feelings. I say nothing. I just finish the rest of the cigarette in one drag and take a moment to cinch down my SCBA harness. I take my mask out of my bag and get it ready to go. I then pick back up the map book. There really is fuck all for water where we're going. It's going to be a long fucking night. I light up another cigarette and ride in silence.

Fire%20Generic.png
Unit unassigned

Badge 1142

"All responding apparatus to Kimblerley, be advised, two mayday activations.

*My blood runs cold. Two maydays, and I know they've passed it on to us as soon as they knew. I silence the music with a quick press and silence fills the car. Within moments, there's occasional chatter, but I'm honestly stunned. How could they let this fire get this out of control. And don't they know anything about when a structure is defensive only? To prevent situations like this. Fires can't burn forever. I know it's the mill but.. still. For God's sake. I'm still, at a minimum, 10 out. The first of the reinforcements are arriving and for the love of everything, I fucking hope there's someone who can knock some sense into whoever's scene this is. I don't want anyone dying today.*

FireCpt%20Generic.png

Captain Karen Summers
Unit Not Assigned

Badge 1612

*Getting ready to turn off to the Northbound I hear the Mayday traffic. Not today. Fuck the ERT. I listen to the warble, then the announcements. I immediately flick my master light switch to ON and cut through traffic, headed southbound on the Junction now. I'm getting there now. Waiting for the emergency traffic to clear, I use my sirens and horn to clear through the traffic, visibly confused at the ERT with sirens. 

*I key responding on my MDT, and use voice text to send a message to Henry.*

I'm going to scene. Code 3.

*There's a long drive still, but I'll make good time on the highway. The Tahoe will hit 110 if I push it, and by god, if traffic moves, I'll get there.*

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

'Not a tattletale. Don't worry.'

*I find it odd in such a new truck he's willing to smoke. I could see maybe a 2000, but this must be what, at least 15? Jeez, that's old around here? I like the SCFD better already.

*As the maydays sound, the truck falls silent.When the radios clear, my  stomach knots but I know it's go time.*

'I know you're not an officer and I'm not asking permission, but we're going to find out how fast this truck goes. Holy fuck. What are we looking at ?'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

"What are we looking at ?" Jennifer asks.

"Operation enduring clusterfuck it seems." I say back. "And it's governed at 68, make sure you keep all the wheels on the ground, it doesn't need to be 6 firefighters killed today." The radio traffic is a complete mix of panic and chaos. Occasionally screaming can be heard, whether it's painful screams or panicked screams I couldn't tell. Whatever is going on someone hasa a lot to fucking answer for. 

Fire%20Generic.png
Unit unassigned

Badge 1142

*Looking at the speedometer, it's struggling to hit 60, let alone beyond that. I don't think beating the governor will be an issue*

'Yeah, not gonna be an issue. This thing hasn't seen 60 yet. And doesn't look like it will any time soon.'

*Looking back to the rear of the cab for a second, I speak up.*

'How's it back there? You two good?'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

'Yup.'

*I say curtly. My blood ran cold hearing the radio. I almost wanted to turn it off but every transmission made me more and more ready to get these asshats outta there.*

'Who's at 16 today?'

*I bet the guys from 16 can get them out, at the least. I sat back in my seat and looked out the window. The smoke seemed so far away yet so close, as if the next exit was the one to get off on yet still wasn't quite close enough. I looked over at Raven, Garcia, and Noel then back out the window. Besides the muffled sirens, there was near silence.*

Edited by John Hannahan

spacer.png

Ladder 31

Badge 1132

'16 is Essex, right? They've got a good team out there from what I hear.'

*Traffic has been good, clearing to the right, and I've pretty much maintained speed in the left lane the whole way out. Thankfully. But at the same time, it's eery.*

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

'Good, good.'

*I have nothing much to say. Hopefully no more people get injured. It sounded like 16's boys could be trusted, although I've never met em at a fire before. Oh lord, why did these vollies have to be so jolly. I'm guessing they just got there so how did they get into that situation so fast? These thoughts ran through my brain all the while the smell of burning wood kept getting stronger. Well, that smell and Raven's cigar. I hate that smell.*

spacer.png

Ladder 31

Badge 1132

As we round a curve a flash of brown enters my peripheral vision. "Don't jam the brakes." I say sternly, I don't think Jennifer saw what I saw but suddenly the truck hit the deer I had just seen and plasters it over the front of the truck and gets thrown under the truck. Despite the shower of gore over the front of the truck its largely undamaged. "Keep fuckin going." I say as she checks up. I watch as the windshield wipers start to wash away the deer from the windshield. 

If this is any indication as to what awaits I should have called out sick. 

Fire%20Generic.png
Unit unassigned

Badge 1142

*I leaned forward after that hit and subsequent rumble. Roadkill now I guess but a part of me laughed thinking of the look of the blood splatter across the front of the truck shows the guys already on scene. 'We literally killed something to save your sorry asses'. I didn't smile but I did, in a weird way, feel just a tiny bit better.*

'Raven, where do you want me?' *I ask, hoping to somewhat break the silence.*

spacer.png

Ladder 31

Badge 1132

*Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. The first time I drive county trucks, and it's already covered in blood and guts. Jesus Fucking Christ.*

'Well, that's right shit. At least, red trucks hide guts? Holy fuck me.'

'Raven where do you want me?'

*He says something I don't quite here, mostly because I hear the blood in my ears, I just splattered a deer on my first run in the ladder.*

'Hey, wasn't this the call that's been running all shift? Started as an AFA or something? Your call notes show anything Raven?'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*I'm sad. My party sized bag of Cheetos is empty, just like my soul now. I guess my day could be worse. I could look like Henry stressing out over there.*

I can see him in the EOC freaking out. I hear the mayday and take a peak at the incident on the computer. I see no medic unit has been dispatched.

*I lean back in my chair.*

'Henry! Henry!' I shout. He doesn't appear to hear me.

I shove two of my fat Cheeto dust covered finger into my mouth an let out a huge whistle. 

'Hey Henry! I got Medic 5 available in quarters if you need them for that incident!' I shout across the room as I lick the cheeto dust from my fingers.

James "Big Jim" Kowalski
Dispatcher

Shiloh County ERT Communications
Badge 2098

"Keep going Jennifer, we'll write it up later." I say. I turn my attention to Hannahan, "Fuck if I know. All there is is screaming and chaos going on right now, I can't even transmit to command there's so much traffic. We'll have to figure shit out when we get there I guess. We're still a few out. Looks like it came in as an AFA."

"County from Engine 16 we're on scene, stand by for an update." I hear from my portable radio. I can't remember who's on at 6 today, but hopefully they don't fucking suck. 

Fire%20Generic.png
Unit unassigned

Badge 1142