2020 Camping Trip

Blackburn

((It's that time of the year again.  Time for the annual camping trip.  In character wise this trip last 3 days, unspecified, in summer but out of character it lasts the entire summer.  Meaning this thread gets locked on September 1st.  This trip we'll be camping off of Murphy's Lake in Ponderosa Pine's State Park.  It's roughly a ten minute walk from the parking lot to the camping site that is roughly the size of 1 acre.  All members of ERT are invited regardless of what department they are in.  Yes, this also includes the dispatchers and the commissioner.  We'll start off in the morning at around 8am.  It's sunny with no clouds and warm.))

Camping2020tents.png

*Parking my SS in the parking lot I yawn as I step out of the vehicle in a black t-shirt and light blue jean shorts.  Should've pack up my car last night instead of this morning then I would've gotten a bit more sleep.  Grabbing my backpack from the passenger's seat I sling the strap over my shoulder as I pop open the trunk and press the locking mechanism on my car.  Putting on my sunglasses as Savo exits the car after me I shut the driver's door and walk around my car to trunk to pull things out from it.  Tent, sleeping bag, small dufflebag of clothes, and a cooler full of food.  Setting the stuff down on the dirt covered parking lot I shut the trunk up, re-adjust my UMaine baseball cap on my head, and begin waiting for others.*

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1504

*id get in a van That I rented  with Alyssa  and start the engine this is the rusty van ever we got a lot stuff even brought hunting gear and fishing gear even extra tents as where driving alysaa face to me and asks me*

(Alyssa) can we get ice coffee

(Me) *id look at her* “really soon your gonna be overdose on it and then I’m gonna have uses narcan“

(Alysaa) *she laughs* “well why are you where camouflage again”

(me) “for hunting are you wasted on sugar”

(Alysaa) *she kisses me*

*we arrived near Murphy lake I’d get out of the truck and grab my rucksack,tent bag  and fishing poles and Alysaa grab the beer pack and the vodka I’d wait for everyone to come*

sd204dep.png

Probationary Deputy Jay William
Unit 204

Badge 2016
17C4FD29-8D7C-4E7E-AF85-FB5663496C74.png

*The wife took the kids to Kentucky so I'm camping alone with my colleagues this time around.  Pulling into the parking lot I find an empty spot to pull into.  As I shut off my truck I see that I'm not the first to arrive with Hawke, Williams and his girl here.  He looks like he dressed for hunting.  Well fuck, going to have to address that.  This is a State Park for Christ's sake.  Opening the driver's door I hop out of the truck and give a nod to everyone as I head to the back.  Opening up the tailgate I start taking out my camping gear.*

'Williams if you're planning on hunting on this trip then don't.  This is a State Park.  Hunting isn't allowed here.'

sd200lt.png

Lieutenant Andrew Blackburn
Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

*having been goin back and forth with amber about the trip and her giving me the same answer im suprised when i feel my phone buzz with a text from her telling me to look up,as i ease into the area were camping  i glance out my window and see the county bird overfly the site i guess shes training again,tapping the horn of my compas a few times as i ease into the site,i park the truck and step out,an old set of  surplus 90s era woodland camo fatigues i cut into shorts  and a well worn  bass pro shops shirt with a equally well worn denim jacket completeing my outfit* 'hey guys,whats up' * i say as i leave the drivers door open with the radio  on loud enough to be heard but not to be rude and move to unpack the back of my jeep a local classic rock station playing through the jeeps stereo,as i first offload some freshwater fishing gear and then my cabelas woodland tent i take on hunts back up in maine and finally a llarge  coleman wheelsble cooler jammed packed with ice and food  and finally a slurplus woodlabnd pattern army ruck with clothes and a first aid kit, i open to check to make sure my off duty pistols stored safely insideit but unloaded,by now ajax is out and snifing around,aswell as  chico,the older 3 legged shepard still managing to get around suprisingy well* ' hope you dont mind i brought my pups,the bulk of you probably know Ajax,the older 3 legged dog  named Chico,hes a retired NYSP K-9 i adopted from a buddy at there kennels,nobody in the barracks wanted him,where exactly we setting up camp andrew?" * i say spotting him but not hearing what all he said  to who i think is one of our probies looking like he wants to hunt* '  stow that hunting gear probie,or ill arrest you myself should you even so much as think about taking game with it unless its legal fishing' * i add as i pause from unloading my stuff

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Sergeant Jason Paterson, K9 Unit
Unit 230

Badge 1337

“Yes Sir”

*id go into the van and closed  and change out of camouflage  into a nice Nike’s shirt and under armor shorts And  opens the doors and put all the the equipment in bag except for the hunting equipment that gonna stay in the van I grab my my machete holder and strap it on my leg after that I go into my cooler and grab a water I walk out of my van and ask everybody*

”does anybody wanna water have a lot”

sd204dep.png

Unit 204

Badge 2016

* i go back to unloading my stuff noting the rookie strapping a machete to his leg i mentally facepalm as i pull my survivial fire kit outta my truck and hook it in a strap on the rucksack i have* 'your not gonna need a machete,unless your gonna be cutting down say kindling for the campfire tonight,the path to the plot we rented its fairly clear,might help with smaller limbs for the fire tonight,but ive got a kit with me  if we need it,were not in vietnam or brazil afterall'

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

*Seeing some of the others arrive I give them all a nod hello as I get Savo on his leash.  Which becomes especially helpful as Patterson arrives with his two dogs and my border collie see's them.  This boy is damn strong as he almost pulls me to the ground when he wants to rush over to see them.*

'Not yet Savo, not yet'

*Managing to hold him back I'm thankful Patterson's dogs don't rush over.  Just rather not have the chaos of hyper dogs in the parking lot when they can have fun at the camping site.*

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

“I know I lost my survival knife  couldn’t find it plus me and Alyssa where kinda in a rush”

*id grab my flashlight and wait for more people to come and then Alysaa ask me again*

(Alysaa) “babe we should get a dog”

(me) “we already have talking bird who calls me an asshole every morning”

(Alysaa)”true”

sd204dep.png

Unit 204

Badge 2016

*I park my truck at the edge of the lot, as close as I can get. I move the shifter into park, turn off the engine, and toss the keys in the glovebox safe. No need to worry about losing them this weekend. I get out of the truck, grab my duffel bag from the back and my gear box, which has just about everything I'll need for a good weekend. There's some beer and cooler goods sitting in the cooler that'll make up the rest of a good time. 

I sling the bag over my shoulder and start dragging the box along the gravel to a point I'll call home for a few days. Times like this, I'm glad I bought a box with wheels meant for the woods, not just the floor of Walmart.*

'How's it going guys?' I say as I walk past the first few members.

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

'Going alright, it is a lovely morning....  Savo stop, sit!'

*Too distracted keeping Savo from rushing over to Patterson's dogs I don't even know that I'm responding to the commissioner.  Also thinking of how I'm going to carry all my stuff to the site.  It's a ten minute walk and I can carry all of my stuff except my cooler so I'm guessing I'll need to make another trip unless I get help with my cooler.*

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

“Good How your day going commissioner Burke”

*id grab a Pepsi out of the cooler as I say to commissioner Burke. today beautiful day good day for fishing oh forget I have bacon 🥓 well this is gonna be delicious dang it forget something alysaa will run to Walmart to grab the stuff*

Edited by Aidan721

sd204dep.png

Unit 204

Badge 2016

*oooh boy, he must be a new hire. Well, alright.*

'It's good. Gonna be getting set up soon.'

*I park my box and lay my duffel on top, and look around for someone who isn't going to refer to me like a new cadet in boot camp. And that can keep a single thought on the go.*

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

*Seeing Burke arrive I sling my backpack over my shoulder and leave my tent, sleeping bag and other gear by my truck.*

'Burke, good to see that you could make it'

*Approaching him I extend my hand for a shake.*

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

* as im unpacking my truck i see abnother car roll up,or rather i hear it,faceing the direction i hear it from i have to double take slf verifyng that burke is here,* 'ajax,chico heel,siit* both dogs come trotting up as i clip there respective leads on my pack but not harnesing them yet,then i see burke draging  essentally an oversized cooler withnubby tires compared to my cooler without them then i see eveyn with her own cooler* 'hello burke,,whered you get that box,and can it double as a cooler? * i then start walking as i lock my truck and shut it off ,clipping iyts keys on my ruck* "evelyn,need some help,does it have wheels,i have a free hand,my tents atop my ruck' * ii ask as my dogs form up with me like the good boys they are though its probably cause they smell the food in my cooler*

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

“I’m gonna get setup”

(Alysaa) “babe I am gonna head to Walmart to grab the list  told me to get” *she grabs everything and put it down where we park it and then get in and drive off*

*id let everyone know might get a head start grab the cooler  and my rucksack and follow the trail I have grab do another trip that alysaa drop stuff I’d walk I’m thinking why did Alysaa buy 5 packs of bacon Their all 8 packs I do math in my head as I’m walking I think why the heck we Have 40 piece of bacon anyways I set put everything on  the ground and Start setting up the Fire I put the grilling grate right by the fire so we can cook bacon and  Then I start getting my tent setup*

sd204dep.png

Unit 204

Badge 2016

'Yeah, I can carry all my stuff by myself except the cooler'

*Was trying to keep our dogs apart for the moment and he had to come over himself.  There's no point in holding the leash now so I decide to drop it and step on it.  As the distance between them is erased Savo goes to check out Patterson's dogs.  Meanwhile I strap my tent and sleeping bag to my backpack and get the stuff on my back.  Picking up my dufflebag I pick up Savo's leash again.*

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

*as i head over by evelyn i see her dog savo start to pull at his leash which shes stepping on as she says she needs help with her cooler,i move to intercepct savo crouching with my ruck to let him get to know me,and then he moves on to sniff both my boys i pwt him a bit * 'hey fella..hi savo,hey buddy' * i soon stand and grab my cooler again shifting hands so my right ones free to grab the handle of hers,by now my dogs are sorta playing chico beiing older not geting as riled up as ajax who is very much in  pet mode a stark contrast of how most of the guys here see hi at work* ' nice little patch of woods we got here huh?' * my eyes dart to the dogs when i hear what sounds like chico kinda snarl or something only to see him now playing with a stick,ajax is trying to take from him* 'hey,be nice old man!' *he gives me the telltale shepard goofball look and i cant help but smile' 'you big goof ball,share buddy ts big enough for ya both' *Ajax now joins him with that same look then goes back to playing with chico and now savo *'where we going with this evelyn,ill follow you'

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

*id get my tent setup and after that I got out a find a couple of sticks for Fire kindle and start a fire the first time it don’t work the second time it work I lay I down the graze grilling over the fire put the tin foil on and then lay the bacon I have the feeling that dogs are gonna wanna some*

sd204dep.png

Unit 204

Badge 2016

*With my stuff on my back and Savo's dog leash in one hand I hike the path up to the camping site with Jay who is helping me with my cooler.  Ten minutes later we come to a clearing by a gorgeous lake that will be our camping site for the next couple of days.  Smelling a fire I see that Williams had started we walk to the center of the clearing and set down the coolers.  Yeah, this is probably a good spot for them.  Kneeling down I let Savo off his leash so that he can explore.  He knows not to go too far from me so I'm not that worried about him wandering off and getting lost.  Looking around I begin to search for a spot to set up my tent.  There's a bridge over a stream, that's 5 foot wide, which leads to additional area of the camping site but I don't think I'll set up over there.  Would rather not cross a bridge whenever I want to go back and forth between the fire pit and my tent.  There's some small grove of trees between the lake and the fire pit that look nice but with the fire pit probably being the area for socializing maybe not there either.  Being next to the lake does seem nice though so I trek until I'm about fifteen feet to the water and set my stuff down ten feet away from another grove of trees on the western side of the site.  Pulling my tent out of it's bag I start to pitch it up.*

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

*id flip the bacon on the and then I see alysaa*

(me) “hey babe got what we need”

(Alyssa) “yeah and got all the stuff we need“

(me) “good can make coffee for everyone”

*id grab a beer out of my coleer and look at the sky as I am open it and I take a sip*

(me) “btw babe why did you buy 40 pieces of bacon”

(Alyssa) “idk their where on sale 15% off”

(Me) “well bacon done I will cook more later need find some fish”

*id get my fishing gear ready*

sd204dep.png

Unit 204

Badge 2016

*After greeting Burke I head back to my truck and gather my stuff for the trek to the camping site.  Several minutes later I arrive at the site and pick a spot by the edge of the forest and the stream to set up my tent.*

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

* i follow evelyn down to where she camping by now my pups are exploreing and playing with each other and savo chico even though hes only got three legs keeping up just fine with them as evelyn sets her tent up i drop her cooler near by then start my own trek twoards the streem and the beach the sparse trees by the streams mouth gives me decent shade when im not in my tent and allows easy access for fishing and swiming so i opt to setup there,ill sit on my cooler till i decide to fetch my chair outta my truck for now ill set my tent so it kinda has cover  under a taller tree but the openings facing the lake but cocked to the side so im not totally rude and anti social* 'three days of not a damn thing....' * i utter to myself as i gaze out over the lake and suck in the fresh air*

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

*After setting up my tent I turn around and stretch a bit to relax.  Seeing that someone had moved my cooler closer to me I kind of frown.  Had left my cooler in the center of the field for a reason.  Had figured it'd be a good place for the coolers as it was close to where I guess we'd all gather for meals and conversation.  Oh well.  Tossing my sleeping bag, dufflebag, and backpack into my tent I walk up to my cooler and bring it back to the center where I had left it in the first place.  Then I move on to get a closer view of the lake.*

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

*I pull into the parking lot in my F250 and find a place, shutting the truck off. Looks like I was a little late, like most of the others had made it down to the lake. Oh well, it wasn't a big deal. I glance over the cars to see who's here, not recognizing any of them except for Hawke's. I hop out and grab my pack with my tent and gear attached, slinging it into my back. I grab my cooler and start hiking down, smiling. It felt good to be out in the park, camping for a few days. I walk into the camping spot and glance around to see who I know. Jay, the Commissioner, a guy that looked vaguely familiar, maybe the supervisor, a new guy, and Evelyn. So all deputies, really.*

'Hey guys, sorry I'm on the late side.'

*I pick a spot close to the lake, not far from where Hawke appeared to be setting up. I set my pack down and then put my cooler with the others before starting to unpack and set up.*

u22apc.png

Acting Platoon Chief Marcus Stone
Unit 22

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1909