Vehicle Fire

A. Tai

ENGINE 1, MEDIC 1 - VEHICLE FIRE FORT SHANNON PUBLIC LIBRARY. INJURIES. TIME OUT 10:41

'911, Where is your emergency?'

'THE LIBRARY!'

'What library?' I say, checking the ALI. 

'Fort Shannon! My Car is on fire!'

'Okay, is anyone hurt?'

'No, it's just me, I'm out and fine.'

'Okay, do you-'

'Shit my laptop!'

'Sir!, Sir, do not go back in the car'

The line stays open and I hear screaming on the other end. Fuck, this is a medical now. 

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2099

As I hear the tones come in I’m ripped out of my sleep. I check the watch and it has been 5 minutes maybe since I fell asleep. Nonetheless there is a job to be done so I rush down to the bay and get my gear on. After I swung my coat on I open the door and hop in waiting for the others. 

engine11ff.png

Firefighter Joshua Grimm
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2102

*After a few minutes, I hear the engine come to life on the radio.*

"ERT, Engine 1 responding. Confirming Fort Shannon Library?"

"10-4 Engine 1, confirming Fort Shannon Public Library. Caller advises their vehicle is stopped outside of the library on the street. Last contact with the caller, they had gone back into the car to retrieve the laptop. We believe at the time there are injuries, however no word on the extent."

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Badge 2099

* as the tones drop me and keiko are finalizing truck checks and restock when a call comes in for a medic* ‘ keiko, we running to it or is the lieutenant?’ * i ask in my full accent as i climb in the drivers seat of M22 unsure if 1 is going or not* 

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 1714

"Engine 1 acknowledged. Medic 1, ERT"

"Go ahead."

"Be advised, we've received additional calls confirming that there are burn injuries on scene. Unclear if there's any entrapment."

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Badge 2099

*I step into the passenger seat a few seconds after Alyssa; she asks if I'm ready for the burn*

'Oh yeah, ecstatic.'

*I open up a new chart as dispatch updates with the additional callers reporting a burn victim but unknown if there's any entrapment*

'This guy better have been trapped at some point to have gotten burned, don't wanna hear that he was burned trying to save some shit from his car or something'

*I fill out what I can on the chart so far - dispatch and responding times, location, nature, etc. I shut the laptop and enjoy the rest of the ride when I've filled out what I can on it*

'Guess this guy's never played Grand Theft Auto... Burning cars explode after like 4 seconds, you run away from them not toward them.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

image.png

Paramedic Doug McGuire
Medic 1

Badge 0907

* as i pull into traffic im heavy on the airhorn through the first intersection alternating through the sirens after i release it* ‘ jeez i hope nobodys trapped...’ * i think were making decent time but im more focused on avoiding morning traffic to really timekeep*

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

As we approach the library, I can see the smoke column.

'Looks like it's working. Grimm, take the nozzle. Cook will back you up.'

We turn into the parking lot and I pick up the radio mic. The car is fully involved, and I can see a man sitting on the curb of an island a few spaces away. Looks like he's the injured man.

"Engine 1's on scene with a fully involved car fire."

u22apc.png

Acting Platoon Chief Marcus Stone
Unit 22

Badge 1909

Hearing my orders I hop off the engine as the truck comes to a stop.  Walking around the truck with Grimm I grab the bumper line and pull it as we walk to the car on fire.

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

‚Got it cap‘ I say as I hop off the engine, put my mask on and grab the nozzle. We walk up to the car. Damn that’s pretty hot. We put the line down and I get in position. 
‚Ready for water!‘

‘Ready cook?‘

engine11ff.png

Firefighter Joshua Grimm
Engine 1

Badge 2102

* i pull into the lot instinctively  parking to protect my fire though its not needed given were in a parking lot but its how i roll, throwing the truck into pump and chicking a wheel not even bothering to look for a hydrant if we cant kill this on the tank ill hit a plug,but it should be prerty straightforward, as the guys call for water i throw the tank on recirculate and call back to them as i charge there line*
’comming to ya guys, hit it!’ * for now my jobs done so while watching my gauges i start thinking of what i might need to do on a BLS level for the guy* ‘ if he grabed something in the car.......’ * i utter to myself hoping he wasent stupid*

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

*I pull the bus out and follow the engine*

'This guy better have been trapped at some point to have gotten burned, don't wanna hear that he was burned trying to save some shit from his car or something'

'If he did your under orders not to give narcs. That way he'll learn.'

'Guess this guy's never played Grand Theft Auto... Burning cars explode after like 4 seconds, you run away from them not toward them.'

'Bruh, you know how many times those cars killed me in san andreas'

*I pick up the mic since I haven't heard of any updates*

"M1, Do we have units on scene that can advise on the patient status"

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

*I walk out of the Library holding a copy of Weight Loss Made Easy by Val Kilmer with a Foreword by Rosie O'Donell in hand.*

'All this walking is killing me' I say to myself as I pant.

*I look out at the burning car and bustling fire scene*

'GOOD GOD!' I shout loudly in astonishment.

*I quickly find my second wind and use all my energy to waddle as quickly as possible.*

*Huff Puff*

*I quickly waddle up to the fire scene. This is perhaps the farthest I've ever walked without stopping to catch my breath.*

'I can't stop now...must keep going...' I say with determination while struggling to breath.

*I walk just past the flaming car to a nearby hotdog stand*

A large sign painted on its front advertises:

Jumbo Polish Sausages Buy 1 Get 1 Free.

'I'll take 8.' I say to the vendor. 

The fire scene continues to unfold behind me.

• Like 1

James "Big Jim" Kowalski
Dispatcher

Shiloh County ERT Communications
Badge 2098

As Grimm and Cook start hitting the fire I glance back and see the medic still isn't on scene. The fuck? They had come from the same station we did. I grab the engine's ALS kit and start walking over to the burned man. I kneel next to him, starting to assess his injuries.

u22apc.png

Acting Platoon Chief Marcus Stone
Unit 22

Badge 1909

"10-4 Engine 1."

As Medic 1 calls for a patient report, I wonder, did they elect to leave the ambulance and just roll the stretcher down?

"Yeah, Medic 1, Engine 1 is on scene, no patient status report at this time. Are you on scene?"

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Badge 2099

Grimm gets the fire knocked down pretty quick and stops spraying water as I head back to the engine.  Grabbing a fire extinguisher I head back to the car and open it up.  Searching for spots still burning and seeing nothing I back away from the car as I head to the Captain.

'Fire is out sir.'

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

Getting told we are good to go I help pack up the engine and get back into my seat on the truck.  Moments later we are clear and headed back to the station.  As we leave I see AMR still dealing with the burn victim.  It was good that they showed up unexpectedly but I can sense the upcoming drama to be heard in the living area later.

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021