Traffic Pursuit

J. Wagner

SHERIFF TRAFFIC AND K9 RESOURCES. ACTIVE PURSUIT. WESTBOUND DRIVE ON-RAMP (GRID U16)

Driving down Summer Road, it feels weird to be in Oxnard in a marked unit. I'm wandering around and probably should make my way back to Fort Shannon soon. At the red light I key up a red Ford Explorer plate. The audible Bing on my laptop indicates a warning for this vehicle. Looking up I see no movement yet, but the screen shows open warrant for male owner, armed robbery.

"ERT, this is 211, Oxnard by the Public Safety Academy, I've got a red Ford Explorer, active warrant. I'll be initiating a traffic stop."

"10-4 211. Received plate from your laptop"

When the light turns green I hear the engine Rev and he takes off. Immediately I light up and follow up Partridge Drive when it becomes clear he's not stopping.

He doesn't indicate but cuts hard left onto the interstate ramp, nearly taking a car out. I take a quick turn and follow him down, gaining thanks to my supercharged engine.

Keying the mic again, I announce.

"ERT, 211. Active pursuit. West bound i484 off Patridge. Red Ford Explorer. Need backup!"

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Shiloh County Sheriff Department 
Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sitting at my desk I hear an incoming for a traffic stop. I gather the information from the unit screen and radio back acknowledged.

"ERT, 211. Active pursuit. West bound i484 off Patridge. Red Ford Explorer. Need backup!"

"10-4 211. Broadcasting Emergency." Keying the alert tone, I speak after the beep stops. "All units, be advised active pursuit, I-484 Westbound of Partridge Drive Oxnard, Red Ford Explorer, ADS-665, caution advised, suspect for armed robbery. Requesting available traffic and K9."

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2099

*Hearing a Pursuit get called out On the radio i key up*

"206 ERT show me Enroute, 206 211 Direct Give me updates i'll head him off if i can"

*i flip around and find a Entrance Ramp and get on 484 and set up on the side with my lights on waiting for them to get closer.. i know i'm not traffic but i can atleast assist til we get traffic*

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

*I hear the call come over the radio for the pursuit*

'Lets get some work done pal.'

*Grabbing the mic, I key up.*

"ERT 232 en-route"

*I turn the lights and siren on as I head for the closest on ramp for I-484. As I get up to speed Kilo starts to get an anxious whine in the back*

'I know buddy, lets go get us a bad guy'

*'Be pretty awesome to get a live bite my first day with my new partner' I say to myself*

sd230dep.png

Deputy John Jones
Unit 232

Badge 1402

*hearing 232 key up and mark himself enroute i key up myself*

"206 ERT can you have Fire have a Medic crew Stand by in station incase something happens, 206 to 232 i'm set up in south ft shannon if you wanna set up a bit farther north of me i got on at tenth street south"

*i release my PTT and then back my car on to the on ramp and block it off so this guy doesn't kill anyone getting on if he comes this far and hop out*

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

I'm standing by i484 on Northriver as I hear the callout. Ah shit. I key up the mic and show myself joining.

"252, I'm right by the Theatre on Northriver, joining pursuit. Gonna be on stand-by if spikes are necessary."

I flick on my lights and turn on wail sirens as I drive onto the ramp and traffic begins slowing down. 

I back up on the hard shoulder just a few metres before the ramp as I turn off the sirens and get out by the passenger seat. I momentarily open the rear right door as I put on my reflective vest, close the door, pace to the trunk, open it, grab spikes and then shut the trunk

I stand a few metres ahead of my car so I don't get turned into minced meat if the suspect crashes into my car.

I lay down the spikes for now (the spikes were not deployed, it's just sitting on the ground), waiting for an update.

Edited by Zezinho

sd251dep.png

Deputy Nathan Clarkson
Unit 251

Badge 2112

* cruiseing to try to find the chase i hear it overhead right as wagner calls where he is i flip my lights on,cut off a slow to start semi and dart up the ramp they just passed waiting a 15-20 seconds incase wagners got cars with him as i key up and gun my explorer* “256,211 direct, chargeing up the ramp you passed im behind you” * i release my mic as i fall in behind working to catch both SUV’s infront of me my engine roar no doubt heard with my traffic just now*

Edited by Vanguard

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Badge 2024

*Hearing that the pursuit is well ahead of me and that amount of traffic around me is insane. I slow down and go with the flow of traffic.*

”258 I’m far enough away, I am going to have trouble catching up with the pursuit do to traffic.”

sd204dep.png

Deputy Dave Lafferty
Unit 204

Badge 1117

* trouble with that sick lookin mustang? The hell,thst might be something we can use though as i key up * “256,258 direct, recomending surface roads to catch and then maybe try a less clogged on ramp or block with spikes one near us ,with traffic that heavy hes either gonna wreck,slowdown,or try to get off and keep running,whats your location?” * i say trying to maybe coordinate something as i finally catch wagner debateing over taking*

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Badge 2024

*hearing wagner is on 48 instead of 484 i jump back into my cruiser and start heading north on 484. I key up my ptt*

“206 211 do you want a road block set up?” 

*releasing my ptt I change my siren to a priority tone and start moving traffic* 

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

I walk to the trunk, open it, grab a whistle and then close it. I blow in the whistle indicating drivers to keep going as I wait nervously for the moment to throw the spikes. I key up my portable and say:

"252, need someone to take traffic control on I-484 heading south. North has spikes ready if necessary."

I turn off the portable and wait.

sd251dep.png

Deputy Nathan Clarkson
Unit 251

Badge 2112

"206, if you can, try to get a block to force him towards 252. There's spikes, but traffic might be a problem. He's slowing a bit, but we're still heading up."

I Look down at the speedo, we're looking at about 70 now, a significant drop in speed.

"Maintaining 70 now. Traffic's getting heavy, we might end up slowing more. Any units that can get closer?"

At this point I'm chasing him, we're buzzing along, but there's not much I can do to stop him, too much traffic. If we can funnel him up 484 towards the spikes, that might be our best bet, if he doesn't bail and run before then. 

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

“256,211 i can attempt to herd him with you or try overtaking and force him to slow,its whatever youd prefer im single file behind you,whatever you need” * i say still on wagners ass a fan might work or if we had two other cars we could rolling roadblock his ass,i can get infront two others on each side*

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Badge 2024

*In the left lane, traffic hasn't been giving my much of an issue, moving out of the way well in advance for me. I see lights in the distance.*

"232, 256 and 211, I am coming up behind yall now."

*As I am getting closer I see traffic ahead building, running at 115 MPH trying to catch up I slow to around 95. Still trying to close the gap but I dont wanna toss Kilo around if I have to brake real hard*

sd230dep.png

Deputy John Jones
Unit 232

Badge 1402

* hearing we got a dog comming i decide to pitch the whole rolling roadblock idea,with a twist* “256 to 232 and 211,direct, we ideally  need a fourth car but if somebody can get behind the runner and the jersey barrier  or something,im not afraid to pull infront ,if you both are familer with a rolling roadblock,we pin him with our cars match speed i brake till he kisses my bumper forcing him to if we can keep him from side slipping free,it might just get this stopped,thoughts?” * i say releaseing my mic i probably need a supervisiors approval but if the others are up for it then i can ask*

Edited by Vanguard

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Badge 2024

"yeah, 206. Negative. Too much traffic to try anything yet. We're getting close to the interchange, of we can get him north we might have better luck stopping him with less traffic."

No fourth car, we're still getting through traffic, we might hit that turn sooner than later

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

"10-4. 258. You coming up here?. What's your location" I call out, heading in formation wondering how much longer we can do this.

Traffic is starting to break, so things will pick up soon.

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

“ im right behind you what you wanna do,fan or try to run blocker for the off ramps,your call your lead car afterall” * i reply as i peak out from behind 211 so im in his mirror i can punch foreward  Ir run blocker alongside im game for anything right about now*

Edited by Vanguard

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Badge 2024

“258, I am at Newport and Sixth street North. I am trying to stay to the east in the event he exits off and takes city streets.”

*I say as I turn left onto Sixth Street.*

’They still haven’t gotten that explorer stopped yet? You have at least one charger up there. Once traffic clears, pit them and be done with it.’

*I say to myself as I continue heading back towards I484.*

sd204dep.png

Deputy Dave Lafferty
Unit 204

Badge 1117

*hearing the radio traffic i Gun it North up 484 Parting Traffic like the Red sea. Keying up*

"206 211 i have a two Minute ETA to the Interchange if you want i can take lead traffic is pretty heavy on the interchange though this could be our chance to stop him"

*releasing my mic i wait up on a bridge and start to see lights off in the distance*

'here we go bring him to me boys bring him to me'

*i key up again*

"206 258 whats your ETA we will be the two fastest vehicles if he breaks and starts to speed up" 

*i release my PTT and set up at the ramp waiting for the suspect* 

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

“I’m still on Sixth street fighting traffic.”

*I say as I continue trying to get through traffic.*

’Who would have thought everyone would be out and about today.’

*I say as I cut a car off and they flip me off. I can only laugh a little as I keep going. Obviously he doesn’t realize it’s an unmarked  police car*

sd204dep.png

Deputy Dave Lafferty
Unit 204

Badge 1117