Pumped Up Kicks

M. Price

'911, where's your emergency'

'Someone just got shot!'

'Where?'

'In the parking lot.  Oh god, he is coming this way.'

'Sir, where exactly are you? I need your address!'

'I think I'm dead.'

Hearing a gunshot on the other end followed by sounds of what I can assume is the phone and the caller dropping.

'Sir, are you there?  Sir?'

Not getting a response, I start tracing the call for the location.  Hearing more gunshots in the background over the still active line I realize we may have something bad going on here.

'Hello? Are you still there? Hello?!'

More gunshots can be heard on the other end so I prepare to activiate the ASTF as I look to Goodricht and other dispatchers. Before any other sound comes through the line goes dead. I immediately dial the supervisor's extension and get Aylward.

'Sir, I think we have an active shooter here.  Anyone else have similar reports of gunshots in Oxnard?  I couldn't get an exact address. ALI just gives me a tower by the arena. Working a trace now.'

Morgan Price
ERT 911 Communications Dispatcher
Badge 1606

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After hearing about a possible active shooter and getting the adrenaline rush that comes with it I take a deep breath to calm my nerves. It's probably just a prank call or whatever. No way it's legit.

My thought gets interrupted by the monotone ringing and I key call answer.

'911, where is your emergency?'

'I'm at the Central Park Parking lot, looking at Park Plaza. I think someone just got hit by a car?'

'okay why do you think they got hit by a car?'

'well, he's just laying in the parking lot and like he doesn't look too good. I think he's bleeding.'

'okay, help is on the way, can you tell me exactly where he is?'

While talking I key in for pedestrians vehicle accident and line up my units.

'Just in front of Park Plaza. I'm across the street. I looked out after I heard like a thud. The car must have left. I don't see anything there now.'

Okay, hit and run. And my caller saw nothing. Guess I'll need a couple extra sheriffs.

'okay ma'am, can you go and tell me what condition she is in for the paramedics?'

'oh god no! I. Just. No! That's *gag* no, I just, I'm not.' and the like disconnects.

Lovely. I key up the Oxnard station for fire, alert an ambulance who is coming from north Oxnard and broadcast the sheriff message for a hit and run, unknown vehicle. While I quietly wait for someone to acknowledge, I know my call will probably go on the back burner pretty quick if Morgan's call turns out to be real. I'm watching her and the lieutenant out of my corner vision just in case, and I try to redial my caller for more information

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2099

My phone rings on intercom and I answer. Price's extension.

'Aylward.'

'Sir, I think we have an active shooter here. Anyone else have similar reports of gunshots in Oxnard? I couldn't get an exact address. ALI just gives me a tower by the arena. Working a trace now.'

'Okay. Let me.' I briefly check call notes. 'Nothing open in the area. Run the trace, good luck, I'll notify sheriff and ASTF.'

Disconnecting the call without waiting for a response, I key the task force notification alert and key my microphone for Oxnard area sheriff.

"Reports of active shooter, area of Oxnard Arena. Unable to provide further details. Address trace underway. Units acknowledge."

Reading over the ASTF alert, it seems vague, but it's all we have. 

ASTF ACTIVATION NOTICE: POSS. A/S OXNARD ARENA AREA. ADDRESS UNSURE. INFO TO FOLLOW. UNCONFIRMED.

Lieutenant Charles Aylward
Shiloh County ERT Communications Dispatch Supervisor
Badge 1663

After confirming with AMR that their ambulance is en route, I hear Engine 5 confirm the address and see squad 5 confirm as responding. I key my mic as my phone rings again.
"ERT copies Engine and Squad 5"

Answering the call I sit straight and start recording information

'911, where is your emergency?'

Park Plaza.' A Voice whispers. The panic makes me sit straight and my eyes widen. That's my call.

'What's happening?'

'A man. He's shooting in our office building. Please help.'

BANG. BANG. It's not loud enough to show she's close, but it's definitely gunfire. That's my mvpa. Oh god. My trucks! I take a deep breath and before I respond my caller disconnects.

'Aylward! Shooter is at Park Plaza. I'm cancelling everything and telling to stage. Shots confirmed fired. I'm broadcasting emergency. '

I've never actually done this. There's a panic feature, ERT can essentially call a mayday, and it simultaneously broadcasts on all our dispatch channels. I press it and hear a muted beeping. When it stops I speak.

"All units, all units. Units responding to Park Plaza. Stage immediately, reports of active shooter at this location. All units be advised active shooter at this location. Standby for dispatch."

My voice is shaking. Dear god, did they make it? I look at the screen and see both trucks mark as staging. They're two blocks out. Fuck, that's too close. I end emergency traffic and hear the voice start to come back to life on the airwaves.

I think I just broke three policies, but I needed to do that, suspension be damned.

I put my headset on and call my caller back. When the call answers it's open air.

'This is 911, is anyone there?'

*Tap.*

'If you need medical assistance tap twice.'

Nothing.

'If the shooter is on your floor tap twice.'

Tap tap tap tap tap.

Jesus, that's a yes.

'What floor are you on?'

Tap tap.

'Is anyone--' bang, bang. Shots. 'How many people do you have there with you?'

Silence.

Muting myself, I yell out. 

'Lou! I've got an open line, second floor, shooter is up there actively shooting. No voice contact, not responding to my questions!'

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Badge 2099

Jesus, an active shooter in Oxnard. I mean, we had all handled nasty calls before, but I never really thought something like this would happen here. Of course, we had thought the same thing before the bombings last year, and the sniper shooting the sheriff. It's my turn, and I slam the 911 button as the line rings. I take a deep breath as it connects and put on my dispatch voice.

"Shiloh County 911, what's the address of your emergency?"

"AHHHH! AHHHHH! AHHHHH! HELP ME!"

"Ma'am, this is 911, what's the address you're at?"

Oh no. Was this another caller from the active shooter? The cell tower was right. I hit rebid and try to get a Phase II location as the woman speaks again.

"AH! I'VE BEEN SHOT! HELP ME! OH MY GOD! HE SHOT ME IN THE STOMACH! I'M DYING!"

"Okay, ma'am, what's the address? Are you at Park Plaza in Oxnard?"

"YES! OH MY GOD! HELP! It hurts so much! Please help me"

"Okay ma'am, everyone is on the way. Stay on the line with me, I've got a few more questions for you, alright? How many shooters did you see?"

"1, there was 1. He fucking shot me. Why aren't you coming? We're dying here!"

dispatcher.png

Rebekah Martin
911 Telecommunicator

Badge 2102

Watching the rest of the communications coming in through different calls, this is a clear mass shooter, and we've got a clear area. I start keying in for the rest of the protocols. Jesus, what even is the protocol for this? We've got victims, so mass casualty, and I guess we'll send command over? Yes, definitely need a command post. This is going to get hectic. 

Keying county wide law enforcement, I update the announcement.

"All units, all units, this is ERT, providing update for Active Shooter. Park Plaza, Oxnard. Park Plaza, Oxnard. Multiple confirmed victims, reports of lone shooter. Repeat, reports of one shooter."

I start typing for the next alert as I stop broadcasting. I'm at least able to provide more information for these two alerts.

MASS CASUALTY INCIDENT. TEAM ACTIVATION TO OXNARD ARENA. SHOTS FIRED, MULTIPLE WOUNDED. A/S IN PROGRESS AT PPARK PLAZA IN OXNARD. 

I send out that alert, committing the units to that call when I realize the ASTF alert is still unconfirmed.

ASTF ACTIVATION NOTICE: CONFIRMED A/S OXNARD ARENA AREA. PARK PLAZA. SINGLE SHOOTER, MALE. 

I commit that alert, and then start the mobile command team alert.

MOBILE COMMAND TEAM NOTICE: ACTIVATION TO OXNARD ARENA. MASS CASUALTY ACTIVE SHOOTER AT PARK PLAZA. 

When I commit this call, it asks for a dispatcher assignment. Oh shit, we have to send one of our people. Initial call came from Tai. I guess that's who we're sending. I stand up from my desk to go break the news to her.

Badge 1663

My phone goes off again, and again, and again. Three task force activations. Something serious is definitely happening. When I read the notices on my phone, I immediately stand up to go to the comms centre from my office. I practically break into a stride until I get to the airlock. I swipe my fob at both doors and when I get in, there's a flurry of activity. I turn into the lobby and see Aylwayd coming out of his office.

'Charles. Get your dispatcher and then get to the EOC. Who are you sending?'

'Tai.'

'Okay. I'm headed to start the EOC. Make sure she's geared up and ready. Vests for everyone.'

'Yes, sir.'

I give him a nod, and then make an about face and head out into the hall back towards the EOC. When I get in, there's already a couple staff there starting up operations. I get to work myself making sure all the equipment is on and we're operating a unified command for this.

Chaos, it's been nothing but chaos since I've received that first call.  Nevertheless I take another call coming in.

'911, where's your emergency?'

'Oh thank god, send someone! I'm the back of a loan office on Park Street in Oxnard.  Someone came in with an assault rifle and just started shooting in here!'

'Ok, sir, we've alr... help is already on the way.  Where in the office are you right now and can the shooter get to you?'

'In the back room with one of the employees.  No he can't get in here.  Or at least we don't think so.  He's already shot the other 5 people that were in the office.  All I wanted was a loan for my boat.  We didn't think the loud sounds we heard were gunshots.  Am I going to die?'

'Alright, sir, just stay on the line and calm down.  Help is on the way, we will get to you as soon as we can.  Understand, help is coming.'

Muting the call for a second I call out to the higher ups.

'Sir, I have a call from a loan office in the same area of the shooter.  The guy is in the back room of the office with an employee there.  Reports that there are several victims in that office.'

Morgan Price
ERT 911 Communications Dispatcher
Badge 1606

'Tai!' I call out, walking over to her desk before she answers another call.

'You okay?'

'Yes, sir' She says, half confidently.

'Okay, you're first dispatcher on this, so I'm going to get you to gear up and roll with command team on this. Take the dispatch truck. There should be someone down stairs in the garage. Make sure you take a portable, and a vest. If you don't know how to wear one, one of the guys downstairs will get you sorted. '

'Uh, okay, yes, sir.'

When she hits the make busy on her set, I see the red light go on over her desk. 'Heads up everyone, EOC is active' I say, pointing to the big monitor on the wall. I head over to the airlock, making my way out to the hall to join Goodricht in the EOC.

Badge 1663

Hearing the call go out my stomach sinks as I get up from my desk and call myself responding.

"200 responding.  Responding units I want the following intersections blocked off.  Park Street-Winter Ave, Park Street-Spring Blvd, Watt Street-Vulture Drive, Cardinal Street-Sicily Drive.  All responding units not blocking those streets stage in the OCP parking lot off Whitetail Road."

Letting go of my mic on my shoulder I go to the armory and get my patrol rifle.  Then I head out to 200 and stow my rifle away before getting in the truck.  Leaving the station I head towards the scene in Oxnard.

sd200lt.png

Lieutenant Andrew Blackburn
Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

*Doing my compstat reports for the month of march,  I hear commotion on the radio and hearing the words Shooter multiple times I start growing concerned I turn the volume up on the portable sitting in the charger on my desk. As I do that my department phone buzzes with the pages for units confirming the active shooter.*

"400 Show me going to the active shooter."

*I open up the cabinet to the side of my desk and open up the cardboard box containing my department issued vest. I take the white bullet proof vest and put it over my uniform shirt. clip my portable to my belt and walk out the door to my office downstairs to the parking lot and see the platoon commander truck peel off. I get into my charger and flip the slide switch to position 3 and follow him out of the parking lot.*

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

In my office, a notification comes in of a potential shooter. I turn on the news and open the CAD, but continue working away. When I get multiple confirmations of victims, and the activation of all the teams, I know that's my cue to go. I stand and look through the rack for a vest, and find one, before putting on a jacket. I grab my phone off the desk before heading out and pause. I debate sending the message, but I do anyways. 

Kendall. Be safe. I'm going to the arena.

I put the phone in my pocket and make my way to the garage where the most commotion I've ever seen here is occuring.

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

>ALL UNITS< >ALL UNITS< SHOTS FIRED, ACTIVE SHOOTER. REPORTED MASS CASUALTY. Staging Oxnard Arena. Shooter and casualties reported at Park Plaza. All Law Enforcement Requested. Shiloh County SWAT respond. Time out 14:17

Units to secure perimeter, support tactical operations. 

EMS Staging at Oxnard Arena. All units report to command for assignment. All available EMS units to make them selves available to ERT for assignment and deployment. 

ERT Responding with Mass Casualty Support, Active Shooter Task Force, Mobile Command Team

Badge 1663

Hearing the call go out and for a brief moment I forget my unit number as I hear the Lieu's orders of what intersections he wants blocked off.  As I listen I'm already on my way.

"206, responding, will take the Watt Street-Vulture Drive intersection to block off"

sd208dep.png

Deputy Nathan Keene
Unit 208

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 2117

As the radio chatters on I am already making myself enroute.  Fuck that this had to happen here.  This is going to be a long day.

"215 responding, heading to the OCP Parking lot of Whitetail."

Damn it, damn it, damn it.  May not have to do anything but still damn it.

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

Clearing a traffic stop, I make my way East and hear a chirp on the radio. 

"Reports of active shooter, area of Oxnard Arena. Unable to provide further details. Address trace underway. Units acknowledge."

I key my radio and report in.

"217-SWAT. Returning from Northriver to Headquarters to stage with SWAT."

Location unknown. Right. Like that's going to do much.

I don't bother to turn on my equipment, I just make my way back leisurely to the station. As I hear the radio traffic, I'm listening for any more information. A couple units have sirens going, I hear them, but I don't see them. I don't bother. I'm staging for probably nothing. As I pull into the lot, I hear a shrill warble. Jesus, what is that?!

"All units, all units. Units responding to Park Plaza. Stage immediately, reports of active shooter at this location. All units be advised active shooter at this location. Standby for dispatch."

A female dispatcher with fear obviously in her voice. Jesus, it sends shivers through my spine. As she finishes speaking, my phone goes off, the automated SWAT dispatch. I park and acknowledge it, marking myself at station. 

"ERT, 217 off air, I'm at station, going to be taking SWAT. Responding SWAT deputies reporting to Headquarters, advise"

I get out, grab my duty bag and run in the back door, through the lobby and towards the garage, which is bustling with activity. Jesus, even Greene is here. 

'Sarge, you taking the bearcat or the pickup? I'll drive the other' 

When he responds, I chuck my bag at the SWAT locker for me, and start changing into tactical gear. I see everyone moving down to the trucks. Jesus. 

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

Hearing the call go out I am already out from behind my desk and heading to the SWAT garage where I climb into the bearcat as I see Wagner take 102.

"103 responding to staging"

Curses in my head I follow Wagner out of the station.

SWATdeputy.png
Isaiah Greene
SCSD Recruiter/SWAT Team

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1512

swatbadge.png

Nervously, I put on a vest, jesus, these are heavy and uncomfortable. I pull my jacket back over it. I exhale, thank the guy who helped me get ready, and unplug the dispatch response vehicle. When I get in the cab, I notice that the command post is pulling out first, I let them move before I go. When the engine turns on, I hear the radio come to life. all these units calling responses. I almost take the mic to respond, and realize, I'm actually joining them. 

I stare at the siren controls for a second, see what looks like the lightswitch and flick it. The red light flashes on the windshield from the right hand side and I start to move forward. I turn the knob and hear a siren, way too loud, before immediately turning it off. Outside of the station. Right. 

Pulling out onto the road, I try again. Much better.

"ERT, 1204 is responding to scene."

I swallow, and pull out, following the guidance on my GPS to the Oxnard Arena. Shiloh is a cacophony of sirens.

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Badge 2099

*After going to grab my car I hear the call go out for the active shooter. The station instantly wakes up and comes alive. The Platoon Commander runs to his truck holding his rifle throws it in and tears out of the parking lot. The CO runs out to his car and takes off. I slide into the seat of 253 and start the engine.*

"200 responding.  Responding units I want the following intersections blocked off.  Park Street-Winter Ave, Park Street-Spring Blvd, Watt Street-Vulture Drive, Cardinal Street-Sicily Drive.  All responding units not blocking those streets stage in the OCP parking lot off Whitetail Road."

"206, responding, will take the Watt Street-Vulture Drive intersection to block off"

"253 headed to park and winter"

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Deputy Emily Vogel
Unit unassigned

Badge 2118

With all the radio chatter going on I was already on my way.  With instructions on where to go now I call myself responding with my intentions.

"231 responding, taking Park Street-Spring Blvd intersection to block off"

sd230dep.png

Deputy Alejandro Sanchez

Unit 231

Badge 2038

'Henry. You're hearing this too. Right? Jesus. This is dangerous. Like, really dangerous. Right now, I'm giving you an out. We have to drive past headquarters. It's your choice. You can go with me, or stay. There's no judgement.'

'You want to go Diana?'

'People are going to need us. I need to be there. But I understand if you don't feel safe going until the scene is safe. You're not a cop, I wouldn't ask you to do that. I can take an unmarked and let you know when it's safe.'

'We're a team. I'm with you.'

I smile,  knowing he's got my back.

"ERT, this is MCIT-S, show us on the way to Oxnard Arena for staging. We're responding from South River."

"ERT Copies."

"Thanks, please advise any other MCIT units available to respond if possible."

"10-4"

mcitcpl.png

Corporal Diana Walter
MCIT-Sierra

Badge 2035

Shiloh County Health Mental Crisis Intervention Team Member

*I fly behind Blackburn, Although the drive is short it feels like an eternity.*

"400 to 200 Have all responding traffic units take an intersection. I want every deputy out with their IFAK and Patrol rifle out. All plain clothes MOS must have their vests and raid jackets on."

*I take a breath*

"400 to County. Start bringing in off duty deputies to handle 911 calls in Fort Shannon. Reach out to Arcadia and Clinton for mutual aid if needed. Lets get Shelter in place orders for the 6 blocks surrounding park plaza"

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

Seeing 400 behind me and hearing chatter from him I wonder if I had instructed enough intersections to block off.  Probably did but let's be safe and call to block off some more.

"200 to responding units.  Additionally I'll need units to block off the intersections of Spring-Oak, Spring-Cardinal, Winter-Vulture, and Watt-Cardinal."

That's now 8 intersections to initially block off.  Those are the only intersections that I can memorize without looking a map which I can't look at when I'm driving.  Will instruct more deputies when I arrive and look at one.

sd200lt.png

Lieutenant Andrew Blackburn
Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321