Shiloh County Medical Center - Emergency Department

Chris07

I’m not a happy camper right now. I hate hospitals

*I walk in through the EMS entrance through the automatic double doors. I make my way to the triage desk. I have an obvious cut on my right eye brow.*

’Do we register here...or...what?’ I ask O’Reilly who’s getting registered.

SheriffDep%20Generic.png
Deputy Jaydon Scott
Unit unassigned
Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1871

'Yeah here. I can get you guys.'

*I comment absently as I'm finishing up with the last patient and the crew heads into a room. Since both of them are going to need to be seen, we'll need the CPD officer here to "babysit" until they're cleared. I start to take down the first officer's information, and as I'm typing I call over to the other girl working registration here with me to page CPD over. She handles that in between doing room assignments and I finish up with Mr. O'Reilly, moving onto the second officer.*

'I know you guys want to get out of here, I'm working as fast as I can.'

*I finish up with the Mr. Scott, getting them both a wristband. I roll out from behind the desk and point down the hall, while giving directions to where I want them to go.*

'Alright, down this hall, take the first hallway left, and all the way down, just before you reach the waiting room are the 'fast track' rooms. They should be able to get you in and out pretty quickly. Good luck, gentlemen, take care.'

Grumbling quietly, I pull up in the EMS bay, parking in one of the spots that isn't labeled for a physician or on call staff, and avoiding the EMS bay entirely. It's getting crowded, and I'm hoping I can just get in and out quickly. I'd really rather not be seen at all but as I reach up and touch my head gingerly, I wince. Definitely got a more decent knock than I felt at the time. This is really not what I wanted to spend my shift doing.

"211 is going to be out of service at county."

I leave it at that, if they have an issue I'm sure they'll go to Russo or Blackburn, who likely both know what's going on by now. I step out of my unit, and walk in the EMS bay, towards the registration desk, where there's two ladies at the EMS registration.

'Hi, I was told to be seen here, if you could tell me where you want me to go..?'

I trail off, and the woman who.... is that a wheelchair? She's more accommodating than I expected from the hospital staff. She starts to take my information and department info, and gets me triaged into their system.

pd220sgt.png
Sergeant Allison Devito
Unit 220
Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1825

After registration I find my way to a fast track room. I'm shown to my room and left in there. This is bullshit. At least there's a TV. 

*I turn on the TV as I wait*

Just as I turn on the TV, I hear a knock at the door. 

'Mr. Scott?' a pretty woman in her early 30s pokes her head in as she proceeds to enter the room. 

Damn she's gorgeous.

'Hi, I'm Stephanie York a physician assistant.' She says as she closes the door behind her.

'What brought you in today?' she asks.

I explain the whole situation, our fight with the EDP, and maybe embellished a few details for dramatic effect. She asks me some questions, like did I lose consciousness, or have any headache or nausea. I keep my tough guy exterior up.

'Nah. I'm fine. I'm just here because...you know....the boss says I have to.'

She approaches me: 'Mind if I take a look at the eyebrow?'

'Sure. Have at it.'

She touches my head and looks at my wound. I feel her soft touch, and am enamored by her beautiful face and eyes.

'Well, Mr. Scott, I'm sorry to say I think that's going to need closure.'

'No way?' I say disheartened.

'Yeah, but I think I should be able to do it with derma bond. No stitches required. I'll just clean it out real good and glue it closed.'

'With like....super glue?'

'Thats exactly it. Let me just go get it and I'll have you out of here pretty quick. I know you're dying to get out of here.'

'Hey. Thank you so much.'

*Can I have your number?*

She walks out of the room to get the needed supplies.

SheriffDep%20Generic.png
Deputy Jaydon Scott
Unit unassigned
Badge 1871

'Alright, who is ready to get their head glued'

*Entering in the room with one of the deputies in it.  Steph suddenly had to deal with some other patient so she asked me to take care of this job for her.  Was just finishing up my break so I figured why not.  Steph is a nice girl after all and she helps me out all the time.*

*My jaw drops. I'm sad*

'Oh....ok...I am I guess' I say defeated that I may never see the PAs beautiful face ever again.

I cry internally.

I get on the hospital bed and lie back ready to have this dude glue my right eyebrow closed. Although I will say his biceps are pretty impressive.

'You lift? You look like a guy who lifts'

Edited by Chris07

SheriffDep%20Generic.png
Deputy Jaydon Scott
Unit unassigned
Badge 1871

'Absolutely, today is leg day though'

*Seeing the deputy is ready, I grab a syringe filled with saline.*

'Alright, hold still.  Going to clean it first and this is going.'

*Squirting the saline over the wound I grab a gauze and wipe it dry.  Putting the saline syringe down I grab the squeeze pen with the dermabond and scan it in to let the hospital know that it's getting used.  Scanning the deputy's wristband next to let the hospital know who it was used on.  Putting the scanner down I squeeze out some glue over the would then I pinch the wound together as I glance at the clock to count to one minute.*

'Damn that's sick bro. What do you do to get those gains? I bet your diet is super strict.' I say.

I feel the warm glue on above my eye. I smell a faint plastic-y smell. Luckily it doesn't hurt all that bad.

At least if I can't get that PA's number, I can at least find out what this dude's secret is.

Edited by Chris07

SheriffDep%20Generic.png
Deputy Jaydon Scott
Unit unassigned
Badge 1871

'Lot's of protein bro and working out for 30 minutes each day.  Crunches, squats, lifting the weights.  Diet isn't that strict.  Saturdays are my cheat day.  I have pizza.'

*The one minute passes and I let go of the wound.  Putting a bit more glue on top I set down the glue pen and stick on a bandage.*

'Alright, you're good to go.  Now remember don't get it wet and refrain from physical activity for a few days until the glue falls off.'

*I get registered, thanking the nice girl in the wheelchair. She hadn't given us her name, so I didn't call her by name. I always thought it was kinda weird to read people's nametags and just start using their first name. I resume my position at the door to the EDP's room, and once the CPD officer gets there I give him a quick rundown, warning him about the pain tolerance and inhuman strength. I then head off down the hall to Fast Track, dipping into a room next to Scott's. Some massive dude was gluing his face back together. I hop up on the exam table and sit, waiting. Hopefully whatever nurse or PA or whatever came to see me was at least good eye candy. Hopefully that buff guy wouldn't be in here. Hospitals were always full of eye candy. Something about the scrubs just did it.*

sd217cpl.png

Corporal Richard O'Reilly
Unit 217

Badge 1943

*Once I'm registered, I walk down the hall towards the fast track ER rooms, and one of the techs shows me to a room and takes a set of vitals. Once the tech leaves, I wait for one of the providers to come see me. I'm startled out of my reverie by a knock on the door.*

'Ms. DeVito? I'm Stephanie York a physician assistant.'

*She steps inside, and closes the door behind her. She asks what brought me in, and I explain the fight with the EDP, getting knocked on the head with the stool, commenting that it was a good solid knock. She asks me some questions, if I lost consciousness, had any headache or nausea, any dizziness or blurred vision.*

'Just a headache. Really though, I'm fine. The sup wanted me to be seen, CYA kind of thing I think.'

*She gently runs her hands over my scalp, and I wince when she hits the sore spot with that lump forming.*

'That's definitely a solid knock. So let me ask you, do you feel okay?'
'Yeah absolutely. Like I said, I'm fine.'
'Make sure you follow up with your primary care within the next couple days then, and if your symptoms get worse or you're more irritable than usual for no apparent reason, come back in. Sound good?'
'Absolutely. Thank you so much.'
'Some ice should help with the swelling as well.'
'Thank you.'

*She heads out, and not much later, a nurse comes in with discharge paperwork, and a decent stack of concussion patient education materials. I sign, and head out, back towards the ambulance entrance so I can leave.*

pd220sgt.png
Sergeant Allison Devito
Unit 220
Badge 1825

'That's sick bruh.' I say to Conway.

'Right on. I'm trying to get that protein in. I just need to do more pure lifting, I do a lot of High interval training and I don't think that's allowing my to bulk up like I want.'

'So....weird question...and strictly....bro to bro....is that lady who just saw me before you came in, like...available?' I ask.

'I don't want to sound weird but I find it hard to believe that someone that beautiful wouldn't be taken.'

SheriffDep%20Generic.png
Deputy Jaydon Scott
Unit unassigned
Badge 1871

'Yeah, sorry bro, I know Steph is a wonderful girl but she is spoken for.  Her girlfriend is also a wonderful person.  Anyways, I'll be right back with your discharge papers.'

*Leaving the room I head on over to the nurses desk and get the discharge papers for Dep. Scott.  Returning to the room.*

'Ok, here you go.  Feel free to look them over and sign when you're ready.'

'Oh really? Thanks for the intel.' I say winking.

My soul is both crushed and slightly aroused. Damn...I don't know how to feel. Part of me thinks that’s hot, and the other weeps at the tragic loss. The girl of my dreams bats for the wrong team.

My crushed spirit signs the discharge papers and leaves the room.

'I'm good to go right?' I say as I hand my papers to Cliff at the desk.

Edited by Chris07

SheriffDep%20Generic.png
Deputy Jaydon Scott
Unit unassigned
Badge 1871

As I walk out I see O'Reilly in a room waiting.

*I poke my head into the room*

'Taking your time I see. Fucking milking the clock...' I say teasingly.

'You ain't been seen yet? Who's got the dope head?'

Edited by Chris07

SheriffDep%20Generic.png
Deputy Jaydon Scott
Unit unassigned
Badge 1871

*I chuckle as Scott pokes his head in.*

'Yeah, you know we gotta milk it a little bit. A tech came by and took some vitals real quick, but I haven't seen a doc or PA yet. CFU PD is sitting on the dopehead while we get seen. Hopefully one of our guys will get here before too much longer and I'll get out of here.'

*A cute PA brushes by Scott, and I smile at her as she walks in.*

'Hey, I'll catch up with you when they let me outta here,' *I joke. The PA starts interviewing and examining me, and I smile at her, answering all her questions.*

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

*It doesn't take long for the PA to finish her examination. She discharges me, giving me paperwork on concussions and instructions on how to care for the black eye I have welling up. I gather the paperwork and head out of the hospital, getting back in my truck.*

"217 is clear of County, in service.

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

• 2 weeks later...

*As we pull up to county Jake seems a bit out of it because of the pain meds.*

"Dunne get us a wheelchair"

*Dunne gets a wheelchair and we step out. Dunne is wheeling him in as we get to the desk I pass the tablet off to the registration desk.*

'Its gonna be a trauma. My guy cooked himself. Also avoid the Wendys in oxnard,'

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

*I look up from my place at the registration desk as Rory comes in and grabs a wheelchair.*

'A patient?'

*He looks over to me and nods and I grab all of my shit, arranging it on my desk so I can roll over to them when they come through the door. Moments later Rory and a shorter woman walk in, Rory pushing a wheelchair with a kid, definitely no older than 19 cradling a hand wrapped in lots of gauze. I doubt I'll be getting any signatures from him but it's always worth an ask.*

'Sir, my name is Aubrey from registration. Can I have your name?'

'Yeah, I'm Jake Adams'
'Mr. Adams, what's your date of birth?'
'November 2nd, 2000'

Aha, I knew it. No older than 19.

'Alright, Mr. Adams, what's your current address?'
'467 Cherry St, in Oxnard.'
'What kind of insurance do you have?'
'I.. well my parents have Cigna, but it happened at work does that matter?'
'Oh yeah, who's your employer?'
'I work at Wendy's over in Bicentennial plaza, in Oxnard.'
'Alright, I have to ask everyone, do you have any advanced directive or living will?'
'No'
'Do you have a primary care doctor?'
'Nope'
'And do you have a preferred pharmacy if they send you home with any prescriptions today?'
'Nope'
'Alright Mr. Adams, are you able to sign some things for me?'
'Yeah, sure.'
'Okay, this first one is consent for the hospital to treat you.'

I move the signature pad peripheral that's connected to my laptop over to the young man. I leave it on the desk so he doesn't have to support it with his hand and he can just sign it. He does, and I move on.

'This next one is for your HIPAA rights. It says that we won't share your information with anyone who isn't directly involved in your care or your insurance company.'

He signs again, and I continue once more.

'Alright, two more. This one says we aren't responsible for your belongings while you're here, and the next one is our non-discrimination policy which says we won't turn people away because of age, sex, religion, disability, race, or country of origin.'

After he finishes signing, I take the stylus back and set it back in its holder. I take one of the blank wristbands from the container full of them on my desk and secure it around his wrist, before printing out the labels for him. I adhere the label to his wristband and the triage nurse directs them into a room.

*I look up as I see EMS bring a patient in with a wrapped hand. This must be the burns patient I had heard of. I get up from the desk and walk down to the room, meeting the paramedics inside the room as they get settled in.*

'Afternoon, guys. What happened today?'

*I look between the two paramedics, not sure if the short, bitchy one was in charge or the taller, awkward one. It was hard to tell.*

John Thompson, M.D., MPH

*A doctor whom I've never seen before walks up and asks for report. He looks familiar, I wonder where is surgeon friend is.*

'20 year old male paitent second degree burns to all 5 fingers and the palm of his hand due to sticking it in a deep fryer. 100 mics of fentanyl given in the field, Lock in the AC for access.'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

*I nod. Apparently the short, bitchy one was in charge. Or at least had patient care.*

'Vitals stable, I take it?'

*I glance into the room at the patient. He looked like the fentanyl was doing okay for him, and I could see the nurses getting our own set of vitals and verifying that the line was patent.*

John Thompson, M.D., MPH

'Vitals are good, Nothing out of the norm.'

*The nurse signs off on the tablet. I turn back to the Doc*

'Anyone ever tell you that you look like a doctor on TV?'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

'How long have we been working on this?' I ask aloud. The room has calmed down quite a bit, and everyone has been doing a good job up to this point.

'Uhhh...31 minutes' a nurse acting as scribe says.

'Alright' I say slightly defeated, 'Stop compressions please.'

*I check the monitor. Slow ventricular rhythm at around 40. PEA*

She came in hypotensive despite large volumes of fluid, and it didn't take but 5 minutes before she lost a pulse. She's been in PEA for the past 20 minutes without change. We've tried calcium, bicarb, complete ultrasound exam, but found nothing easily correctable. She's covered near 90% in second and third degree burns, perhaps the trauma of that is just too great. Her body has given up. It's not easy giving up on such a relatively young firefighter killed in the line of duty, but what we're doing isn't working, and she has no hope of a quality of life even if we were to be successful. There's no need to prolong the inevitable.

'Do we have a pulse?' I ask.

*A few people start trying to find a pulse*

'No. No pulse' someone says allowed.

'Are we calling it?' the surgeon asks as he stands back near the patient's left side, trying to stay out of the way.

'Yeah. Unless there's any objections from the room?' I ask aloud.

*No one says anything. The room is silent for about 5 seconds*

'Okay. That's it. Time of death 15:19.' I say as I take my gloves off.

'Lets clean and cover her up' as I walk out of the room.

*The surgeon follows me to my computer*

'The way she was burned up, she wouldn't have survived. Hell, even if she did defy the odds she'd be so disfigured and disabled she wouldn't have much of a life to come back to. Oh well. If you'll excuse me, I have an emergent Lap Choley to attend.'

'Thanks, Dave.' I say as he leaves.

I see another patient coming in and see Thompson jump up like a squirrel and Chase after it. I'll go see them in a moment. This lumber mill fire presumedly claimed its first casualty. The victim? A Kimberly Volunteer Firefighter.

md1.png
Dr. Chris Grant, DO MPH
Medical Director - Shiloh County EMS
Attending Physician - Emergency Medicine
Shiloh County Hospital Medical Center