Shiloh County Medical Center - Emergency Department

Chris07

‘Definately. She’ll get a full work-up if we get her back...*pause*...well we can rule out a tamponade right now.’ I say.

*With CPR on going we grab the ultrasound and check her pericardium. No fluid. No tamponade*

‘Tamponade is out’ I say.

‘Lung sounds sound clear and full on both sides. No tracheal deviation or JVD. Probably not a tension pneumo’ I say.

’It doesn’t look good’ I say a few minutes later.

*After several rounds of CPR and drugs she stays in asystole. Pretty unusual for a young otherwise healthy person. 
With all easily reversible causes of death ruled out, there’s nothing more to do. After 20 minutes, she’s had no change in rhythm.*

’I think it’s time we call it.’ I say to the room.

’Any objections?’ I ask.

*No objections*

’Okay, Everyone stop please. Time of death 11:01’

I take my gloves off and exit the room.

md1.png
Dr. Chris Grant, DO MPH
Medical Director - Shiloh County EMS
Attending Physician - Emergency Medicine
Shiloh County Hospital Medical Center

*As we continue the code, I rack my brain for possible causes but keep coming up pretty short. As Dr Grant asks for objections, I shake my head. I was out of ideas.*

'None here.'

*I take my gloves off and exit the room, heading back to my workstation.*

John Thompson, M.D., MPH

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

*sliding into the Ambulance bay we back into the hospital and unload Ms Patty*

'We have a 83 year old female name is Patty Dawson. Her Chief Complaint is Vomitting. When we arrived we found her in a bathroom vomitting and complaining of stomach pains i checked her BP and her Pulse her Bp Stayed at 140/90 and she also stated she hadn't taken her Blood Pressure Med. When i first checked her Pulse it was at 64 but when we started transport it rose and Leveled out at 76 bpm.'

*i let the Nurse write this Info down as a doctor comes out and grabs jackson and the Patient and bring her to a Room*

'When we addresses the Cramps she said it was a Solid 9 but when we got her laid back on the stretcher she said the pain dulled and dropped to a 4. Ms Patty also stated she hasn't drank any water soo i would expect some Moderate to severe dehydration there. thats all i have for Patient Infomation my partner has her lists of Allergies and medications if you need those'

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 2027

* being essentalky dragged into an exame room im thankful i geabbed the tablet off the strecher i try to control my twang but its still slightly noticeable as i hand the tablet over to the nurse* 

‘ tmhiwdy ma’am, so yeah theres not much for a history no real alergies per the daughter and also per the daughter ms dawson here apprentky walked a 1.5k marsthon esrlier this year, the familys adament thst its food poisoning but we git sent rather then an aks crew abd couldent recover the pizza in question as it was mainly just crumbs of crust’ * i pause as the nyrse hands me back the tablet signing what she needs to sign* ‘ she was ouking her guts out when we loaded her and dry heaving too, wasent in any condition to answer questions so my sincere applogies for the bare bones info, the family literally did nothing byt call us when there was a clinic just down the block they coulda taken her to’ * the nurse  grumbles something as she pages staff that will probably pump grandmas belly abd start fluids just to be safe, so i takr that as my que to leave stopping at david by the duolly closet abd area where we wipe down gear * ‘ raid there supplys lets restock our deathtrap’ * i say quietly as i start to wipe down our now empty stretcher*

Edited by Vanguard

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 1714

• 4 weeks later...

*I walk into ER North and take a seat at a computer next to the off-going attending. I proceed to clean my work area and make small talk with the off-going attending. Once I'm done cleaning I take a seat and log into my computer.*

Our conversation about Skiing comes to a conclusion.

'Ok. You got any to sign out to me so you can get out of here?' I ask him.

'Yeah. I got 3.' He replies.

'First is a 39 year old male, came in for pleuritic chest pain, cough, and shortness of breath. Cardiac and pneumonia work-up is negative.  No real risk factors. Resident got a Dimer on him...and it came back mildly elevated...so he's off getting a CTA now. If its negative, which I suspect it will be, he can go home.'

'Sounds like someone learned why its best not to go down the rabbit hole.' I remark as I quickly look at a few things on the patient's chart.

'Next one?' I ask, ready to hear about the next patient.

*He continues to give my the Cliff notes on the remaining two patients I'll be taking over.*

Neither is anything really crazy. All the hard work has been done, they are just awaiting some lab results before being dispositioned.

*Once he's done. We exchange pleasantries while he packs up, and then finally leaves.*

*Looking around I see Thompson (@Alpha) walk in*

He must have just started his shift as well.

'Hey Thompson. What music are we playing this morning? You got first request.' I say holding up a Bluetooth speaker.

Edited by Chris07

md1.png
Dr. Chris Grant, DO MPH
Medical Director - Shiloh County EMS
Attending Physician - Emergency Medicine
Shiloh County Hospital Medical Center

*I stroll into the ER, walking up to the physician work area and slinging my backpack under a desk. I take a seat, looking over to Dr. Grant.*

'Morning, Dr. Grant.'

*I take a sip of the coffee I brought in with me and rub my forehead, grimacing. Those appletinis last night really took a toll on me. Honestly amazing I woke up at home.*

'Hm, tough choice. Dealer's pick. Music doesn't sound very attractive right now, admittedly.'

John Thompson, M.D., MPH

• 2 months later...

I stand up as Scrat walks in and greet him.

'You doin okay? I can't imagine what you're going through.'

I sit back down, gesturing to a chair across from me.

'We had made entry on the fire, and Kat got separated. There was a collapse. We got to her and got her out, but it isn't pretty. I don't know exactly how bad yet.'

u22apc.png

Acting Platoon Chief Marcus Stone
Unit 22

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1909

*  on my way back from the bathroom i spot the deputy known as the illusive scrat with kat and the captain i toss my empty stryofoam coffee cup in a trash bin as i walk up turning my radio down and opting to stand for the moment*

‘ hey guys,  you must be james,im dave was kats engineer was on the pump and got told to sound evac next thing i know kats here entire house is pulling for her man’

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

'You doin okay? I can't imagine what your going through.'

'Yea i'm doing fine just fucking worried about Kat she went through alot when i was involved in that terror attack back in October. but i know Physically she'll be fine but mentally i'm not sure if she'll be able to fight fire again. But Explain to me what happened.'

'We had made entry into the house and kat got Sepearated. there was a collapse. We got to her and got her out but it isn't pretty. I also don't know how bad yet.'

*as stone finishes a another firefighter comes out and walks up to me*

'Hey guys, you must be James i'm dave. I was Kat's Engineer and was on the pump and then got told to sound the evac tones and next thing i know Kats here. The whole house is pulling for her Man'

'Thanks Dave... i'm glad you guys are all here for her and Mark you did everything you could i know you must be going through some stuff yourself with this being a Captain. But things happen i'm just glad she got out and is alive thats what matters and I'll make sure to keep you and Hawke updated on her recovery.' 

*as i Finish a Doctor Walks out and asks for me and pulls me aside into a Private room.*

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

*i slowly Wake up nd regain my bearings then a nurse greets me*

'Hello Mrs Rogers do you know where you are'

*not being able to speak quite yet i shake my head no and in my head start to panic but then start to notice my head hurts alot so i point towards my head*

'Your in the hospital you were involved in a accident well at work... Does your head hurt we will get you something for that soon okay the doctor will be in with your husband soon'

*what i was involved in an accident i start to think back and try to remember what happened... also james is here the last i remember is i was at home saying goodbye to him before start of shift... now i'm in the hospital... oh god my crew on the engine are they injured too. i single i want a piece of paper and Pencil to write something but the nurse says no... god now it feels hard to breathe*

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Kathrine Clark 
Engine 1

Badge 2012

I nod in reply to Scrat.

"Let us know something when you do. We'll be out here."

I sit back in my chair and watch as the doctor takes him into the family consult room. I couldn't help but feel like I was responsible for this. She was my crew, it was my job to keep them safe.

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

* as scrat and the doc go talk i finally sit down, my eyes falling on mark who knowing how he runs the crew must be kicking his own ass i sorta can relate as i ran the odd fire crew in drills when i served but who am i to offer advice,but i gotta aay something,right? As i lower my voice* ‘ mark, the way thst house colapsed theres no way we coulda known it was gonna colapse,let alone get our guys out intime i hardly got the horn pulls in nevermind the time to back outta smoke with people inside, were good not superhuman good, kat isint on you man, this was a freak event and kat got lucky  we always give 120% on jobs you know that’

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

'Mr Rogers i'm going to be honest its going to be a long road but i think she will fully recover.. she had a serious head injury and a few broken bones.. we had to Operate to stop some internal bleeding she had aswell'

'Is she awake right now?'

'Possibly but right now you being with her will be the best thing for her just know if she is awake she wont be able to speak for a while due to a injury to her throat but her voice will come back in a few days to week'

'What room is she in doc'

'Room 101 if you need anything let me know'

'Thanks Doc'

*i shake the doctors hand and walk back out the waiting room with the Engine company*

'Stone, Dave you guys wanna come see her?. The Doctor said she wont be able to speak for a while due to a injury to her throat but that will be back in a while but she did have a serious head injury some internal bleeding and some broken bones... he said she might be awake but he wants me to atleast go sit with her till she does wake up'

*i turn and start heading towards what seems like endless rows of doors to try and find her room.. is this how she felt when she found out i was involved in the attacks and was in the hospital... she must be scared not knowing why she's here.... i fight back the thoughts one more time just barely holding back my Emotions slowly searching weaving in and out of the Nurses and Patients.... Seeing someone being rushed in by SCEMS on a Stretcher well their doing CPR... damn i just wanna get out of this place i wanna get her home so she doesn't have to see this well she recovers.* 

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

‘ yeah ,the entire engines here so unless mark called us outta service, if we get a run we gotta go but im up to seeing her if shes able to have multiple visitors or whatever’

* i say as i stand mark will respond or he wont but ill hang back a second just incase he does reply to me*

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

• 1 month later...

'How'd  the doc sound? Hopeful? Grim? You make it sound like it's bad'

'He sounded hopeful but cause of her head injury he said she might not remember us he believes she has a severe temp case of Memory loss but over a few months testing will have to be done. i... i don't know what to do Stone what if she doesn't come out of this and never remembers me i don't want to loose her she was there for me after the shooting yea in recent years we have had a hard time because both of our jobs... but Mark i love her and don't want to loose her'

*i stop and take a deep breath trying to calm myself and collect myself before seeing Kat*

'its up here on the left Mark let me go in first and ill bring you in after a minute'

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

*I nod and clap him on the shoulder, giving it a squeeze.*

'You'll make it through this. We'll all be here for her.'

*I stop outside of the room, waiting for his signal.*

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

• 2 weeks later...

*feeling the squeeze on my shoulder i turn around and look at Mark*

'You'll make it through this. We'll all be here for her'

'Thanks Mark it means alot and is making this alot easier'

*i turn back towards the room and Enter seeing Kat and the nurse talking and then see Kat turn towards me and start tearing up*

'Hi hunny your looking great for what happened to you'

'Mr Rogers i'm the nurse for your wife. she wont be able to talk to loud cause she's only had the ventilator out for a little bit now and i'm not sure how long she'll be able to talk due to her lungs but we have provided her with a small white board to write on just in case.'

'Thank you Ma'am if i could i would like to talk my wife in private'

'Yes sir i'm going to go get her some Jello and a small cup of water anyways i'll  be back in the few'

*me and Kat watch as the nurse leaves then i turn back to her as she's tearing up more*

'hey it's okay your fine now your safe i'm right here. You got lucky you had your wonderful crew right there to get you out if you don't mind me asking what... what do you remember'

*i take a gulp and brace myself for the worse knowing she suffered a Major head injury. i look down as i feel her grab my hands and squeeze them tight*

'I... i don't remember alot i don't remember the call nor the days previous to it. i just remember waking up here and going into a panic attack. and no one will tell me what happened.'

'I think that might be what's best for you right now Kat the doctor did say you'll get your memory back over time but you gotta give it time baby. what i will say is you did take a massive head injury which is what the doctor believes is causing your memory loss... But Mark is here if you wanna say hi'

*i wave at the door and mark steps around the corner entering the room*

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

• 3 weeks later...

*I feel the ambulance  come to a stop before It reverses into the bay of County. I gather up all the supplies I left on the bench. Jimmy has been calm because of the pai meds are doing their job. I pull the liter bag of saline off the IV hook and put it between his legs. I hear the back doors open and I slide off the bench. As Jackson pulls the stretcher I grab the legs so they don't drop. Unlocking the stretcher and pushing it through the ER I hear miller walking up at a fast pace to join us. As Jackson puts in the code the doors open and I can see some of the trauma staff waiting for us. Doctor Ladner the trauma attending starts following me as we wheel the stretcher to the trauma bed. As we move Jimmy over the doctor speaks up*

'What do you got?'

'14 year old male had a firework explode in his hand amputating the pinky and thumb. BLS applied the tourniquet prior to my arrival. I started an 18 in the AC and gave 50 mics of fentanyl and he got about half of a liter bag.'

*I say as we unbuckle the paitent and transfer him over*

'The notification said one finger was recovered? Where is it?'

'The other finger was recovered after the report was made. EMT miller has both.'

*I motion to miller to give the amputated digits to the doctor. She does.*

'Good work with any luck he may still have all 10 fingers at the end of the day.'

'Get this stretcher cleaned up. I'll meet you back at the station'

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

• 1 month later...

*After hearing one of my EMT's had been taken in. I park the command car in the bay and I walk to the ER charge nurse on her phone at the desk. Granted I don't know Miller well and only worked directly with her a handful of times.*

'Hey, I'm here to check up on one of my EMT's'

*The charge nurse looks up and sets her phone down.*

'Room 15.'

'You know the story?'

'She was Injected with something and has a head injury. She should be out of CT.'

'Thank you.'

*I walk to Room 15 and see a nurse with Miller, As the Nurse tries to comfort her I step into the room.*

'Hey how are you?'

*I say in a quiet voice*

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

'I am alive, I am lucky, and I am scared. I really didn't know if I would be seeing anyone from here again. Can you get someone over to check on Orange Chicken, he is the family dog, they don't know what happened to him, please...'

'I can text the EMS boss who responded. Maybe he can swing back and secure him.'

*I can sense this is the only way. I fire off a text to Gary, the Lieutenant who responded to the incident. A few minutes later I get a text back.*

*Text*

Hey Alyssa, So the only dog we found on scene was in a pool of blood, He looked dead. Our main concern was the EMT.

*End Text*

*I use the bad news voice and sit down.*

'So I have some bad news.'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P