Platoon Chief's Office and Quarters

ERT-RPG

Located separately, on the other side of the bay from the living quarters, the West Platoon Chief has a window overlooking the apparatus floor and generally works on the headquarters side of the building, however does cross to join for meals and the like, when in station. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the Engine parks, I get out and secure my things in their proper place. Rescue 1 pulls back out to collect O1 with the spare keys. That's a bullet avoided for EMS at least. I look over to the PC, realizing I haven't even seen who it is today, until I see a familiar face at the desk on the other side of the glass. 

Walking over, I walk into the office occupied by my former Captain, acting Platoon Chief Stone. In his crisp white shirt and everything

"Well well well, if it isn't Chief Stone. Thinking about staying over on this side? This is gonna be a helluva day to start, sir" I say with a smile on my face.

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2001

I'm sitting at the desk, going over some administrative duties. The door is open, I'm not doing anything of real import.

It felt odd to be in this white shirt, in this office. I had promoted fast to Captain, and now here I was filling in as a platoon chief. It almost felt wrong to sit in this chair, even if it was what I ultimately wanted. 

I'm interrupted in my introspection by Noel walking in the door. I grin as she calls me Chief Stone and asks if I'm staying.

"I won't lie to you, I might not come back. This is my goal. White helmet. I feel like platoon chief is a good spot, you know? Still get out in the field all the time, but still a chief. What do you have going on? Lay it on me."

u22apc.png

Acting Platoon Chief Marcus Stone
Unit 22

Badge 1909

"I won't lie to you, I might not come back. This is my goal. White helmet. I feel like platoon chief is a good spot, you know? Still get out in the field all the time, but still a chief. What do you have going on? Lay it on me."

"I tell you, the white helmets in the white shirts tend to stay pretty white. Can't remember the last time I saw a PC get dirty. Definitely has its perks. Wish it was purely a social call, but man, it's gonna be a rough day for you. Just got back from a workplace, buddy got impaled after falling down a hole. I'd say OSHA will be calling soon for reports, so I've gotta write mine, but I think you're going to need to have a chat with a couple hands. That call was a mess. Hewitt had to go back out with the rescue to drop off the spare keys to O1. Breslin came in in a fury, and dressed like a fireman. I also think she stole your captains helmet. I swear to god, white helmet and a bunker coat climbed out of O1. One of the EMTs, Brian? The eager kid that's like a puppy, he came running up asking to help out. I mean, I think he's a volly, but either way, here's he's an EMT. I'll be honest, I didn't hug and kiss her when she came up, but I was probably equally as cold to her as she was to the kid. Hindsight, probably not my best moment, but I had half the EMS division trying to join suppression. I left after a few words and went on the call, but man, she's got a chip on her shoulders. I believe the word was "Don't talk to these piece of shit firefighters," but fighting wasn't the time or place. Not sure what Hewitt said with her, but I'd check with him. She tore into me and the kid that I saw, and I spent the majority of the time in the hole. 

"And the best part? Someone, I don't know who, I was over at the truck getting ready to clear, ordered the kid out of his own ambulance and took a guy off the rescue to drive it, told him to drive back the officer's rig, but then they rushed off and took the keys with em. Listen, I'm big and ugly enough to handle my own. A lesbian firefighter isn't new to people not liking her, but the kid, I'm worried about her. There's hazing, and there's this. I don't know if she's got shit on the go, but she seems to hate everyone, and that's dangerous. To us as a team, but probably also to the department. Last thing we need is some eager kid getting chased into the hills by a crazy angry lieutenant.

"If I were you, I'd haul the kid in when he gets back from the scene, shouldn't be too long now and get his version of events. Maybe grill him before the lt gets back, make sure everything's on the up and up. I know EMS all hate each other, but this seems like more than normal. If it was me, I'd be hanging my white shirt up, but unfortunately the joys of management, dealing with the dozens and dozens of people problems before HR gets involved. I just thought it was best you hear it right from me, and right away, before shit boils over. Trying to give you a not too bad first day."

Stone frowns, shrugs, gives me some platitudes and say he'll look into it. We exchange parting pleasantries, and I head out of the office and over to the living quarters. I've got report writing to do. 

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Badge 2001

I listen to Noel's story, groaning internally. Terrific. Of course this would happen today, while I'm filling in. But it's Breslin, so maybe I can handle it without doing paperwork. We're friends. Maybe it won't be too bad. Once Noel dips out I pick up my cell and shoot Breslin a text, telling her to meet me in the platoon chief's office.

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

*My phone buzzes and I see it's a text from Stone asking me to meet in the PC's office. I reply with a K and walk over. As I enter the office I see Noel lingering in the area. I stare her down as I walk into the office. I close the door behind me.*

'I'm guessing this is because of that acting bitch who tried to start shit on that rescue.'

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

I hold up my hand as Breslin calls Noel a bitch.

'I distinctly remember a particular nickname of yours. Not sure you've got grounds to call Noel a bitch. Now sit down and tell me what happened. This is an informal meeting for now, no stuffy shit. Just me and you chatting.'

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

'I distinctly remember a particular nickname of yours. Not sure you've got grounds to call Noel a bitch. Now sit down and tell me what happened. This is an informal meeting for now, no stuffy shit. Just me and you chatting.'

'That's a title I earned. Me calling her a bitch is me being polite right now, You know I can get a lot worse...'

*I take a pull off my Vape*

'She started with my guy, As I was walking up the whacker kid Hand job or something like that... He volunteered to go down in the hole. I think he's like some technical rescue trained for some bullshit volly. I walked up and told him since he wasn't trained he's not going down in the hole. She snapped at both of us called him a "Thing" and made some comment about the way I was managing my people. It's not my fault she thinks who the fuck she is. This isn't the first time she's tried to overstep her bounds by telling me how I should handle EMS people. So when she went down the hole I basically said that this firefighter is a piece of shit and don't worry about it. It wasn't intended for her to hear it but she did and I stand by it.

I saw her giving me dirty looks as I was walking up too. I grabbed some PPE out of the truck I guess Nimtz or whoever was using the vehicle and left the white helmet in the back and I grabbed that and a bunker coat. I made the decision to do that because this is an active construction site and I wanted to take precautions. I dated a union carpenter a few years back and he said these construction sites are death traps. I tried to be safe and this cunt is trying to start problems.'

*I take a pull from my vape.*

'Look I know you're on the suppression side and I'm on the EMS side. At the end of the day we do things differently but I consider you a friend and I'm not going to allow her to speak to my people like that, especially on scene. She was the aggressor and I'm getting pulled in here for trying to defend my crews and keep myself safe. 

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

I listen carefully, nodding at the appropriate times and giving an 'mhm' or a 'uh-huh' where appropriate.

'I see, I see. So. You know I've already talked to Noel. Here's the problems as I see them. First, I absolutely cannot have and will not stand for a lieutenant in any branch - Suppression, EMS, Sheriff, I don't give a fuck who they are - no one can call my firefighters - especially Jen - a "piece of shit firefighter" and absolutely not on a scene in public. I will not tolerate it. Secondly, this was a technical rescue. As the acting station officer, Noel would've been Incident Command. It is, quite literally, her job to tell you how to manage your people at that scene. Third, you can't be out here wearing white helmets at a scene. Some of these hose jockeys are dumb and it's gonna confuse them.' I give Alyssa a grin. She knew I came from third-service EMS before coming here, and every now and then it was nice to rub one in a little on the fire guys that didn't know what it was like to work for EMS agencies that didn't have an ALS fire agency backing them up all the time. 'I know y'all aren't issued rescue PPE, quite frankly I have no idea why. I've heard it's been a discussion recently. I'm not sure. But then you - and all the other EMS employees - should be staying out of any hot zone on a tech rescue. Let us package the patient and bring them to you. Now, I hear you also talked to that blowjob kid like he was shit. Tell me what went on there. I know you talk to me like that, but come on, you know you can't be talking to these baby ass kids like that. What if he runs to HR?'

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

'Trust me Blow job isn't running to HR. He wants to be one of the boys too bad. I told him since he wasn't trained by this department in USAR and if he went in the hole he should stay there, That was it. I talk to you like shit because we're cool and that's how I talk. Clearly I'm being taken out of context. But if were discussing what we can and can't call people how about you talk to her about how she started calling him a thing in front of several companies of fire firefighters after I already told him to back down. Acting like that is an absolute piece of shit move and given the volume that I said it it was meant to give the kid a reason to blow off her trying to humiliate him and not be broadcast to everyone around him. As for PPE white helmet was a mistake but we need PPE. I don't care about confusing your crayon eaters but I was concerned for my safety.'

*I pull from my vape again.*

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

'I know we're cool, but you can't be talking like that to people on scene. You can't be tearing into this kid just because he's overeager. And like, what's the deal with chewing him out in the back of the truck? And having a firefighter drive your box and him drive the chase? I'll address how she spoke to him, don't worry about that. As for the PPE, no really, you cannot wear a white helmet on scenes. It is a uniform policy violation and will cause confusion. The helmets are color coded for a reason. I'm on your side as far as PPE, I wouldn't have even brought it up if you were wearing a red helmet. Seriously. That can't continue.'

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

*Stone continues low key taking Fire cunt's side.*

'What are you talking about? I didn't say anything to him in the back of the truck. I was involved in patient care as far as I'm concerned the BLS people were having an argument amongst themselves, Which has since resolved itself as for who was driving what the guy from fire just acted. I was doing patient care and since as it stands I am the only ALS resource in North River. We have a huge ALS shortage and if one of your guys wants to have independent thought and free will and help us out by driving an EMS vehicle then so be it. I'll take all the help I can get. But in the meantime get us PPE.'

*I walk out of the office and take a pull from my vape.*

'If you need me I'll be finishing my cigarette'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

*walking down into the bay area i see the PC's office is finally open and i knock on the door*

'Sir i need to speak to you'

*looking up i see Mark sitting behind the desk*

'Mark your not who i was expecting to be in this office'

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Kathrine Clark 
Engine 1

Badge 2012

Alyssa continues on her tirade and I start to tune her out. Clearly this was going nowhere. I intend to let it blow over unless the kid makes a complaint.

'OK, Lieutenant. Thanks for your time. Leave the door open on your way out.'

She departs and I rub my temples. What a headache. It seemed like Suppression and EMS could never manage to get along.

It's only moments before there's another knock at the door and I look up to see Kat walking in.

'Hey, I hope you're not here to ruin my day, too,' I say, smiling. 'What's going on? Take a seat. Close the door if you need to.'

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

'Hey, I hope you're not here to ruin my day, too,' 

'I don't think i am'

'What's going on? Take a seat. Close the door if you need to.'

*I enter the room and close the door and pull out my old butt plate out of my pocket and place it on the desk and then sit down*

'Soo I need a new Butt plate before the end of shift and most likely a new department ID'

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012

I look at the butt plate she sits on my desk. Doesn't appear to be damaged.

'Why's that? Something wrong with it? Snaps broke?'

I pick it up, examining the butt plate. Everything checks out okay.

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

'Why's that? Something wrong with it? Snaps broke?'

'Rogers is no longer my last name i've switched back to my Maiden name of Clark'

*i look around the room not wanting to tell Mark what happened*

'it's a long story that i'm not fully sure you want to hear' 

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012

I look up, a little surprised she hadn't mentioned this before. I thought we were friends, I would've expected to hear about this before now. This certainly did explain part of that text from the other night.

'I see. I'm not going to pry, but you're welcome to vent if you need to. You know I'm always available to listen. As far as the name flap and the ID, have you sent the name change paperwork off to County HR yet? I can't give you a new ID until your name has been changed in the system. A new flap will take a couple weeks, but we've got some blanks and I can give you one of those.'

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

'I see. I'm not going to pry, but you're welcome to vent if you need to. You know I'm always available to listen. As far as the name flap and the ID, have you sent the name change paperwork off to County HR yet? I can't give you a new ID until your name has been changed in the system. A new flap will take a couple weeks, but we've got some blanks and I can give you one of those.'

'Yea i sent the paperwork off shortly after everything was finalized back in May i just haven't heard anything yet and this is my first shift back since everything'

*i take a deep breathe*

'It's been rough trying to get everything changed cause he gave me everything including the house I've been stuck in a mountain of paperwork for the last 5 months trying to get everything changed over to my name and god this state does not make it easy, Imma be honest i've been drinking alot more cause of all this stress and i don't know what to do' 

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012

I nod as she says she sent the paperwork off. I log into the system and verify, then go about printing off a new ID with her maiden name on it.

'It's definitely a tough thing to deal with, getting divorced. I won't pretend to know what you're going through, but I can relate to going through tough times. You know as well as I do that drinking is not a healthy coping mechanism for this stress. Have you seen anybody about that?'

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

'It's definitely a tough thing to deal with, getting divorced. I won't pretend to know what you're going through, but I can relate to going through tough times. You know as well as I do that drinking is not a healthy coping mechanism for this stress. Have you seen anybody about that?'

'I've been going through therapy for almost a year now and nothing seems to be helping, It just seems to be getting worse. James did a lot of damage that i don't know can be undone, After the Accident i got pretty messed up in the head and just recently got told by some guys from the fire marshal's office the only victims inside that house were the ones that Squad pulled out and that i never had a victim'

*taking another deep breath trying not to sob infront of stone*

'Then Finding out James had known that after the investigation had concluded and never told me, and then it seemed like he got way to protective of me and just wouldn't let me do anything i felt trapped. But if i knew a Divorce would bring on all this i would've just stayed'

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012

I nod as she says she's going through therapy but it doesn't seem to be helping.

'Have you considered trying a different therapist? The department's got a great EAP, they can hook you up with someone used to talking to firefighters.'

I listen as she talks some more, trying to be there for her.

'Well, it's not healthy to stay in a relationship you aren't invested in. If you felt that leaving was the right thing to do, then I'm sure it was. Even if things have been difficult.'

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

'Have you considered trying a different therapist? The department's got a great EAP, they can hook you up with someone used to talking to firefighters.'

'i've considered it but at the same time... i'm paying almost 300 bucks a month for my sessions with this therapist and like it has helped a little but at the same time i feel like it hasn't'

'Well, it's not healthy to stay in a relationship you aren't invested in. If you felt that leaving was the right thing to do, then I'm sure it was. Even if things have been difficult.'

'It's not healthy but theres also no way all this stress can be healthy, i mean i feel like it's been an uphill battle it took 2 months to get the house changed into my name cause the state didn't believe i was myself'

*i sigh and slump back into the chair a bit*

'Like how can you tell someone whose going through all this that they aren't themselves like i'm pretty sure i know who i am'

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012

'You aren't using the EAP? Kat, why not? No cost to you. And the union has resources, too. You should take advantage of those instead of paying out of pocket.'

I lean forward and place my elbows on the desk, tenting my hands as I listen attentively.

'Yeah, I think you know who you are.' I hesitate for a moment. 'Who's Gavin, Kat? You sent me a text the other night that I don't think was meant for me.'

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

'Who's Gavin, Kat? You sent me a text the other night that I don't think was meant for me.'

'Uhh... Umm Gavin... yeaa that text wasn't meant for you i'm sorry Sir'

*feeling my heart rate start to rise i look at stone*

'Well since you asked i guess i will tell you, Gavin was my Squad leader when i was enlisted and he was my best friend and we were extremely close if it wasn't for the fact he was an officer we most likely would've dated'

*stopping to catch my breath and keep my tears back*

'After our first deployment we lived together for a bit and then in 2018 he was killed in a IED ambush, I worked on him the longest out of the 4 to make sure he came home to his mama and Sister, but i guess i didn't do good enough and he passed away in the back of a helicopter'

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012