Shiloh County Medical Center - Emergency Department

Chris07

'Where did they take Ryan, he killed Orange...' 

'So, From what I gathered he was killed as well. He was Killed by sheriff's Deputies.'

*I give her a second.*

'Do you need me to make any notifications?'

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

'This is a nightmare right? I am going to wake up and everything is going to be good right?'

'When I was 18, I woke up in a hospital in a lot worse shape then you did. My best friend was dead, My parents knew about my numerous drug problems and it took me almost a year of physical therapy to walk somewhat normal, Your going to wake up tomorrow and your going to either get your shit together and move on or your going to let this shit eat you alive. My advice, find a professional before this kills you from the inside out. Speaking from experience.'

'Could you let Dave Valentine know I am here, we sorta started dating yesterday.' 

'I can text him now. Do you need me to grab anything for you'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

* after the text and my getting ready not even aware of the time i pull my truck into the lot by the ER my trucks got firefighter tags but just to be safe im make sure not to block  any emergency vehicles medic 7s crew spots me comming and lets me in the ambulance entrence where i walk up to a recepction desk* ‘ hey im from EMT millers firehouse,what room is she in?

.* i say as i pull my wallet my  fire badge and id clearly visible to her to speed check in * 

charge nurse: ‘ room 15, shes been asking for you per my staff’ * i nod returning my wallet to my pocket and head for keikos room speaking softly ars i move to hug her*
 ‘Hey baby, keiko im here, what happened to you?’ * i give breslin a nod* ‘ lieutenant,thank you for the text’  * i say then note the odd ooks i might get with my od green cargos a firehouse t shirt and my  black timberland steel toes  but not caring given the rush to get here*

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

‘Hey now....’ *i let her push me back adopting adrelaxed a posture and as soft a tone to my voiceas i can*’ ive got friends thst left the service and live in japan,where in the country are they maybe my contact network can help’ *  hopefully i can salvage this but maybe i shouldent of come as i contuine ‘both ex us forces and some JSDF, your parents will be told im sure the hospital is blowing up the phone,ill do the same to my friends,just breath and try to calm down alright,your safe now i promise’ * i say trying to be calm and soft spoken hoping the hospitals got somebody for her to talk to*

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

* shes fighting tears its killing me,i HAVE to be strong for her as i reply and keep my voice soft yet strong and loving* ‘ its probably a crime scene , you can stay with me tonight if you can leave the hospital’ * i glance at breslin unsure if i should ask if she can sleep at the firehouse*  ‘we can work on getting your cellphone’ * i finish hesitant to get close as to not upset her* 

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

* i debate approaching her but i elect to stay by her bed if she wants me close she can pull me close* ‘ ill drop by when i get the chance on shift  should it present itself,if not after it’ .* i pull my truck keys outta my pocket removing my house key and its ring  offering it to keiko* ‘ if you leave the hospital and arnt fit for work your house might still be a crime scene,i keep a few spare keys hidden where nobodys gonna look worse case  the kid i have watch savanna has a spare ,feel free to crash there,ok’

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

*Having ducked out after Dave came I go to the miller house where the cops have it taped off. I explain the situtation sto the cops at the police line and one of them goes in and grabs it. I get back in the command car and drive back to county medical. Walk back to the room asnd See Dave still there.*

'Heres your phone.'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

*as keiko snuggkes into me i hug her lightly  not wanting to stress her out to much i opt to keep my reply supportive and caring * ‘ i know  baby i know, we’ll get through it togeather ok, call your parents explain whats up,as to shift i can let captian stone ill be late if you want need here, worse case ive got tons of vacation and sick time,theres no problem if i take some’

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

*as keiko snuggles into me i hug her lightly  not wanting to stress her out to much i opt to keep my reply supportive and caring * ‘ i know  baby i know, we’ll get through it togeather ok, call your parents explain whats up,as to shift i can let captian stone ill be late if you need here, worse case ive got tons of vacation and sick time,theres no problem if i take some’ * i realize im talking to a sleeping keiko so ill honor the ladt thing she said,leaving a note i kiss her on the forehead and then leave the room giving my contact info to the staff*

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

• 2 weeks later...

*I walk in and take a seat at an empty workspace at the nurses’ station. I open my backpack up and pull out my stethoscope and sling it around my neck before closing my bag and shoving it under the desk.*

“Good morning Dr. Grant” a nurse says to me as she walks by.

”Good morning.” I say to her in reply.

*I get up and grabs some gloves from a nearby box and proceed to put them on.*

”Busy last night?” I ask as I proceed over to the tub of cleaning wipes, and pull a wad of wet wipes from the tub with my gloves hands.

”Oh pretty typical, started out super busy but we got it taken care of.” She replies and she walks off.

*I proceed to clean my workspace. The desk, keyboard, mouse, dictation microphone, and even the nearby telephone. Nothing escapes getting wipes with disinfectant wipes.*

”Hey Chris. They let you off of nights?”

*I look over and see one of the other attendings sitting down at a workstation at the other end of the long desk.*

”Yeah. I’m just as shocked as you are.” I say as I remove the gloves and throw them and the disinfecting wipes away in a near by trash can. I sit down at the computer and log in. Pulling up the ER tracker I see an unusual sight.

”Wow. Only 12 people in the ER and 0 waiting?” I ask.

”yeah. It died around 3am and we got this place cleaned out. So it’s all nice and ready for you.” He replied.

“You have any to sign out?” I ask him.

”Actually no. I have 4 here. One is Holding for ICU, and the other 3 are dispo’d. One is already admitted and the others have been discharged.” He replies.

”Great. Let’s hope this isn’t the calm before the storm.” I reply cautiously. 

“Oh I’m sure you’ll pay for this later.”

”Definitely.”

”Great.” He says as he pick up his leather satchel. “Well, try not to have too much fun” he says as he starts to walk out. 

“Take care.” I say as he leaves.

I think today’s is going to be a good day…I hope.

md1.png
Dr. Chris Grant, DO MPH
Medical Director - Shiloh County EMS
Attending Physician - Emergency Medicine
Shiloh County Hospital Medical Center

* after a 10 minute run i chirp the sirens as i pull medic 15 into the anbulance bay seeing medical staff exit as keiko opens our rear doors as i step outta the truck to help unload as i hesrd keiko call us arriving on the portable she has*

Edited by Vanguard

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 1714

‘ sounds like a plan,lets clean the truck restock what we need to and find a place’ * i say as i start wilinfmg the strecher downand our board ,stealing a sheet from the hospital to eventually put on the stretcher* ‘whats up partner?’ 

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Badge 1714

‘ gotcha,my mistake,wanna just go fir a drive,grab something and talk on lunch or brunch?’ * bobbys voice was equally soft and not disruptive as he finished with the stretcher * ‘ you sterilize the stuff we used,right so we can just goor do we need a few minutes,the stretchers set,backboard too’ * i start wheeling it back to our rig as i talk*

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Badge 1714

• 2 weeks later...

*We roll Erika into the hospital. The charge nurse looks up as we roll the stretcher in.*

'Is that one of your guys?'

'Yeah this is my partner.'

*Seeing Erika looks pretty bad the charge gets up.*

'Whats going on?'

'32 year old female coming in with vaginal bleeding and acute pain to the lower back and weakness approximately 20 minutes prior. 10/10 pain slightly hypertensive. PT reports she's 2 weeks late for her menstrual and it is unknown if she's pregnant.'

'Resus 7 until we can figure out what's going on, Did you do anything in the field?'

'Lock in the right AC for access.'

*We move into Resus 7 and transfer Erika over into bed.*

'I'll call Martin and tell him you're here'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

*I see a new name pop-up under the patient tracker.*

3 - RES7 - Sjostrom, Erika - 32 - F - GYN Bleed

*I sign up for the new patient*

"That name sounds familiar" I say to myself. "Sjostrom...Sjostrom...Sjostrom..."

I can't seem to remember where I know that name from.

*I get up and walk over to Resus 7 and walk in as a nurse is getting her vitals*

*I see the uniform and immediately remember where I know that name from*

'Miss Sjostrom. I see you're on the receiving end this time around, I hope you weren't too difficult a patient for your colleagues here.' I say as I walk in and walk to bedside.

'What going on today?' I ask.

*I get a brief rundown of what's going on. She sounds to be in some pain*

'Okay. So you 've had some back and lower abdominal pain off and on for the past 15 minutes or so along with bleeding.' I say in summary as I walk over to a box of gloves and don a pair of large gloves.

'So it is possible that you might be pregnant, right?' I ask as I walk back over.

'...and you've never had bleeding like this before?' I say as I arrive at her side again.

'You're 2 weeks late and you're normally very regular with your cycles? You're not a heavy bleeder?' I ask as I place my hand on her abdomen and start to push on different areas of her abdomen.

'Does any of this hurt?' I ask as I push on the lower part of her belly.

'Ok. Do you have any history of bleeding disorders? Any medical history of any sort?' I ask as I stop and step back.

'Any surgeries?' I ask  as I take my gloves off.

'Ok, and you've had how many pregnancies? How many births?' I ask.

'Ok. So there's a few things that can be going on here so I'm going to run some tests to see what exactly is going on.' I start to explain.

'So the things this could be range from minor to serious. First step is I need to check if you're pregnant, because if you are, I need to make sure you've not having an ectopic pregnancy...a pregnancy that is growing in your fallopian tube instead of your uterus...'

'..because that's a surgical emergency that would need to be dealt with immediately...so I'm going to take some blood, have you pee in a cup to check your urine, and do a pelvic ultrasound. Additionally I'm going to need to do a pelvic exam and see if I can see a source of the bleeding.' I finish.

'Sound like a plan?' I ask before I'm interrupted.

'I can enter orders for you' the nurse says as she logs on to the computer in the room.

'Sure, thank you.' I reply as I look towards her.

'Let's do a CBC...CMP...PT...PTT...a quantitative beta-HCG...Type and screen...Pelvic Ultrasound...and a U A.' I look back at Sjostrom before turning back to the nurse. '...oh and I'm going to need her in a gown and a set-up for a pelvic exam, if you please.' I ask nicely.

'Sure thing' she says as she walks out.

'Alright, so that's the plan? Any questions or anything?' I ask Sjostrom.

Edited by Chris07

md1.png
Dr. Chris Grant, DO MPH

The Doc comes in and asks a bunch of question which I answer promptly despite the pain and discomfort that I'm feeling.  He tells me what he wants to do and I simply nod.  When he asks if I have any questions myself I simply nod a no and verbally speak it.

'No, no questions here'

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Badge 1315

*I walk out and over to my desk and sit down. I log in*

I select Orders

Ok sweetie. Bottoms all the way off. Here’s a gown you can put on. Just cover yourself with this sheet….” I hear the nurse say as she closes the curtain in front of the doorway just as I leave the room.

*I walk over to my workstation and log in.*

*I type, Morphine. Select 4mg IV Once. Enter.*

*I type Zofran. Select 4mg IV Once. Enter.*

*I type in a quick HPI and then return to the exam room. *

The nurse has Sjostrom all set up and in a hospital gown, and I perform the pelvic exam as the nurse prepares the pain and nausea medication and then proceeds to give it to her.

Normal external exam, obvious blood. Internal exam shows no trauma or lacerations. Cervical os appears like it may be open a little, but no products of conception seen.

‘All done’ I say.

I relay my findings to her and conclude that we need the ultrasound to know for sure what’s going on.

A young, pretty, red headed girl in dark green scrubs walks in. The “Ultrasound” on her badge is prominent and portends her intended task.

Hi, I’m Abbie. I’m here to perform your ultrasound.” She says as she starts to wheel in her ultrasound machine.

‘Alright, I’ll be back a little later once we get some results back.’ I say as I walk out.

*I log  back into my computer and look at the lab results.*

They’re all still pending.

I’ll check on it later. I’ve got other people to look after.

md1.png
Dr. Chris Grant, DO MPH

*I step out into the bay while the new girl wipes down the stretcher. I pick up my phone and dial Martin. He picks up on the third ring*

'Hey, This is Alyssa from Erika's Job...'

'Is everything alright?'

'So we just had to take her to the hospital'

'Is she ok?'

'She's being treated by the fire department medical director who's the attending right now and I didn't hear much but off the record it may be an ectopic pregnancy'

'I'm coming down there right now! What hospital?'

'County, I'm going to be here as long as I can too.'

'Thank you!'

*He hangs up and I walk back into Resus. Erika is wearing a hospital gown and looks like they gave her the good stuff.*

'Martin's coming'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

Good, is he getting Eliska, he should leave her in school if he is; is what I thought I said to Breslin when I heard that Martin's coming.

'Goober, help ska school jesus'

Is what I probably said instead.

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Badge 1315