Fire Department Involved MVA

A. Tai

MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT, BAY STREET AND SOUTH NINTH STREET, FORT SHANNON. ENGINE 1, LADDER 1, RESCUE 1, UNIT 22, DEPUTY 1, MEDIC 1, MEDIC 2, MEDIC 43, MEDIC 42, OFFICER 1, EDO-1. MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT, BAY STREET AND SOUTH NINTH STREET, FORT SHANNON. ENGINE 1, LADDER 1, RESCUE 1, UNIT 22, DEPUTY 1, MEDIC 1, MEDIC 2, MEDIC 43, MEDIC 42, OFFICER 1, EDO-1. BAY STREET AND SOUTH NINTH STREET FOR MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT. 

SCSD TRAFFIC UNITS IN AREA OF FORT SHANNON SOUTH RIVER, RESPOND TO FIRE DEPARTMENT INVOLVED MVA, POSSIBLE FATALITIES, BAY STREET AND SOUTH NINTH STREET. 

Listening to the radio traffic, I hear that the fire in South River is starting to clear up, some of the extra apparatus are leaving the scene, RIT, Logistics, and ladder 14. I mark the units as returned to service and adjust the timers for RIT and Logistics as they're well outside of their regular run. A few minutes pass and the phone rings.

"911 Where is your emergency."

"One of your trucks just like did a flip."

"Okay sir, I need you to confirm your location."

"I'm on Bay Street, right by the end of the park. I don't know, I think ninth?"

I confirm on the ALI that this looks like the right location. "Sir, what do you mean one of our trucks did a flip?"

"A Fire Truck, like with a ladder"

"Okay, sir, I'm sending emergency services, is the truck upright?"

"No, it's like, not totally upside down, but you know, it's really bad. There's a guy just hanging out of the door. I think he's dead."

My heart drops. I start to give instructions for him to check on the scene, and while I wait for him to get there, I key the mic for the radio. "Ladder 14, ERT." Nothing. "Ladder 14." Still no answer. That's our involved truck.

I tone out the incident, and assign an upgraded alarm, sending extra resources to the scene, as well as notifying Aylward.

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2099

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearing the tones drop, I lift myself out of the chair again. Probably not for us, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. I relax when I hear motor vehicle accident, until I hear the voice read out Ladder 1. What the fuck, we don't roll on these. Regardless, the toner sounded, we go. Four ambulances, a deputy chief and the EDO? There's something wrong. 

I jog to the bay floor, kicking my boots off and stepping into my turnout pants as all the bay doors open. Once in my gear, I jog past the rescue, climbing aboard the officer's seat of the ladder and wait for my crew to join me. I key into the tablet for information, trying to find out what is happening. The CAD notes are my first pick. 

FD LADDER INVOLVE. POSS L14

POSS. FATAL. 

UNK. INJURIES.

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2001

*Hearing the tones Drop i walk out to the engine and take my radio strap off putting my Nomex hood on and getting my bunker pants on i put my radio strap back on and grab my coat and helmet and hop into the cab of the engine and put my coat on and then sit down and buckle up*

Edited by Jimothy

ladder1ff.png

Firefighter Paramedic Ian Boorne
Ladder 1

Badge 2050

Hearing the call go out I immediately get myself heading to the scene.  Time to do traffic control for fire so they can help out their own.

"253 respond"

Letting go of the mic I flip on my lights and sirens as I plan to approach the scene from the south.

sd253dep.png

Deputy Paige Rutland
Unit 253

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 2203

I head out to the bay as the tones drop. MVCs were always some of my favorite calls, although less fun on an Engine than the Rescue. I step into my boots and pull the pants up, then climb into the Engine. I open the MDT and start reading the CAD notes. My heart drops. Oh no.

'Its Ladder 14. They've rolled in the intersection. It doesn't sound good. Let's move with a quickness, Cook.'

I pick up the radio mic. "Engine 1's responding."

u22apc.png

Acting Platoon Chief Marcus Stone
Unit 22

Badge 1909

'Its Ladder 14. They've rolled in the intersection. It doesn't sound good. Let's move with a quickness, Cook.'

*Shit One of us*

'Cap do you want me too Assist with triage tell medics get there?'

ladder1ff.png

Ladder 1

Badge 2050

'I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar Capt.'

With all of us in the engine now I flip on the lights and sirens as I pull out of the bay.  As I'm making the turn I figure fuck it let's blow the horn as well nice and loud to further let traffic know we gotta go.

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

*hearing the tones drop  im thinking its just another run till i hear Fire Department Involved  i rush to the bay when i hear ERT come over our net trying to call ladder 14,i initially dismiss it as there on scene but busy but when i dont hear them come back i start getting concerned as typically somebody answers dispatch by now then i note they basically paged the entire department and it clicks in my head...they ARE the MVA,by now im in my gear like greased lightning its halfway on as i climb into the drivers seat while im cranking the truck over our Engine and Rescue are gone ,resting my foot on the brake,the lights are going and im creeping outta the bay,every fiber of my being screaming for me to haul ass to my stricken brothers and sisters on Ladder14*

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

*Ah the tones drop I run to the bay, jump in my pants and boots and just grab my coat and helmet. I hop in the truck. Hearing that one of our trucks is involved my heart drops. I don’t say a word for the duration of the drive as I’m busy thinking of what situation might be ahead*

engine11ff.png

Firefighter Joshua Grimm
Engine 1

Badge 2102

"Alright guys, it's one of ours." As the last door closes and we move out, I look back. "It's going to be bad. I don't know if anyone knows anyone on 14, but we're going to have a lot of hands here so if you don't think you can handle it, speak now."

Waiting for a response as the siren starts, I key the mic. "ERT, Ladder 1, responding. Copy MDT info."

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

* hearing the last door shut i let the brake go  the truck roaring in mild protest as i tear away from the station equally protesting air horn blasts from myself as i scatter a few drivers whos daily drive station 1s response interrupted who thought they could slip between the ladder and the rescue infront of me*

"Alright guys, it's one of ours." As the last door closes and we move out, I look back. "It's going to be bad. I don't know if anyone knows anyone on 14, but we're going to have a lot of hands here so if you don't think you can handle it, speak now." * i hear jen talking but i ignore her if the crew cant do the job if its one of our own involved then they shouldn't of signed onto the department but i see where shes comming from  i let another long air horn blast to clear an intersection  follow her question as i focus on getting us there saftly,my fellow firefighters need us and im not about to let them down*

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

'No, Boorne. Pull the ALS bags and start treatment. I'll handle triage. Grimm, if we need a line you'll pull it. We'll see how it looks when we get there.'

I scan through the notes again, grimacing. This was not going to be good.

u22apc.png

Acting Platoon Chief Marcus Stone
Unit 22

Badge 1909

'No, Boorne. Pull the ALS bags and start treatment. I'll handle triage. Grimm, if we need a line you'll pull it. We'll see how it looks when we get there.'

'
Okay Cap, You ready grimm imma be honest we're going to see some messed up stuff'

*Turning around and grabbing a pair of nitrile gloves*

'Just Remember Grimm this is just another accident yes it involves our own but we still need to take proper safety techniques other wise we can't help them' 

ladder1ff.png

Ladder 1

Badge 2050

Pulling up on scene I can see the wrecked ladder in the distance as I pull to a stop in the intersection

"253 on scene, blocking off Bay-10th South Street intersection"

Getting out of my unit I head to the trunk and start grabbing everything I can think of to block off the intersection from non-emergency personnel.

sd253dep.png

Deputy Paige Rutland
Unit 253

Badge 2203

"Copy 253, can we get a size up of vehicle involved? Confirming this is SCFD Ladder 14?" I say on the radio, pausing. "Are any other vehicles involved?"

I monitor the sheriff's band with baited breath, waiting to see what happens.

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Badge 2099

As I'm setting up the block I hear dispatch asking for a size up.

"253, dispatch, we have a fire ladder on it's side, no other vehicles involved.  Small fire from the back of the vehicle.  One man on the ground not moving in front of it."

sd253dep.png

Deputy Paige Rutland
Unit 253

Badge 2203

Pulling towards the scene, I see Engine 1 already taking a position, Rescue 1 continuing right through and then I spot the side turned Ladder, steam or smoke coming from the radiator, and the turn table warped. I hear a flurry of sirens still behind me, and I reach over to flick the cut off switch on ours. 

"ERT, Ladder 1 coming up on scene." I'll likely be the lowest ranked officer here today, it's not my place to transmit the sizeup. 

"Over here Dave, behind the rescue." I say, pointing to an open patch of pavement.

Climbing out of the truck I smell the worst combination of smells, blood, diesel and death. I look over to the truck and see a turnout coat soaked in blood hanging out from under the roof of the truck. A pool is spilled around it. I don't see the owner of the jacket, but from where I stand, I can see what looks like grey matter in the mix of blood. The roof came down on the guy's head. I still myself, taking a breath, knowing I'm no good to anyone who survives. 

Turning to the Rescue, I look for the white helmet. We're probably the closest thing to a rescue here on the scene after them, and when I connect eyes with the captain, I see he's walking towards me. I meet him halfway. 

In a hushed voice, "Jen, I'm down a man. One of my guys can't do it. Went to academy with a couple from the ladder. Anyone out from yours?"

"No one yet. We're all good to support." 

"Okay, get your guys, we're going to try to get the rest of them out."

I look towards the man on the ground and see he's not moving, but his jacket is raising a little. He's alive. There's the body pinned underneath, and there's two more we haven't found. I see the steam from the radiator, but from the angle I stand now, I see a small fire in the rear. 

"Engine! Fire in the back!" I call out on the radio. "Ladder, with rescue." I order my crew and raise my hand. 

We need to get to work on saving those who we can, and more importantly, getting everyone out of harms way in case the engine isn't quick on the hose.

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*after driving about as fast as i had ever driven the ladder we arrive on the scene jen points out where to park and i nod * 'got it lieu,you ok?' *im a mix of both shock and sadness myself as i clearly see to much blood for somebody and i dont know who yet to have survived as a result of it as i park the truck,angled so i can both protect my guys and my fallen brothers and or sisters from further harm,stepping outta the ladder i gag but fight it i hadent smelled death in a loong time if i know anybody on this crew either it hasent hit me yet or im simply ignoreing the fact that they might be dead for the moment my focus is scene security so i get to setting up our flares and cones steeling myself for whats gonna feel like the longest day id rather rush to whoevers pinned but if were hit then were no good to anybody ill rally with the rescue after i get  every road safety peice off the truck setup*

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

"Copy 253. Fire showing."

Flicking the the fire rescue band, I key the mic. 

"ERT to units responding to Fire involved MVA< be advised, reports of fire showing at rear of vehicle, and possible ejection."

I pick up the phone to the county hospital and give them a call ahead, notifying of what's awaiting them. 

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Badge 2099

Driving a little further past Ladder 1, I bring the Engine to a halt after we pass the fire coming from the back of L14.  It's a small one right now but it will probably become bigger before we know it.  Throwing the engine in park I exit the truck and immediately get to the controls of the punk.  Glad I am on this where I won't have to see the victims as I'm not sure I would be able to handle that with it being ours involved

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

*The tones drop and I hear the radio traffic. My heart sinks a little. I jump up from the couch and walk towards Medic 1. I get in the drivers seat.*

'Jacoboski lets fucking go!'

*I say as I turn the key and hit the lights. He comes running opens the bay door as I put the truck in gear and move forward. Jacoboski Jumps into the truck as we pull off*

"Medic 1 Enroute"

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P