Duty Room

K. Summers

• 3 months later...

'So, I guess its just us'

*turning out i see Breslin walk in letting out a sigh knowing i'm not on a BLS bus*

'Thank god i'm not stuck with some cranky ass basic emt who won't go anywhere with their career'

*leaning back in my chair i reach into my back pack and take a out a red bull out and crack it open* 

'So Breslin what bus do you wanna be on i'll go start truck checks'

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 2027

*i Walk into the station which feels strange at first. I was gone for quiet some time, first a visit of my home town in germany then I snapped my ankle and had to take an even longer forced time out. It feels like I’m walking in here for the first time. With the coffe cup in my hand I make the turn into the duty room and sit on a chair. I make a small pain stung face as I sit down, barley noticeable, fuck… my ankle…*
‘Morning. I’m here‘

engine11ff.png

Firefighter Joshua Grimm
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2102

After parking my truck and heading to the locker rooms where I change into my uniform I enter the duty room with a Monster in hand.  Leaning up against the back wall I wait for assignments.

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

*after my drive to the station in a rental i park the bronco the dealership let me have and head inside hopefully my truck will be ready by the time im off shift opting to lean against the back wall*  'man this heatwave sucks dosent it guys'

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

Walking into the duty room I check my phone again. Still no word, I guess this shift will go ahead as usual for me. I slide it back into my pants pocket and sit down at the desk, wheeling the chair into the computer. At least enough warm bodies showed up to staff an engine, right?

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Badge 2001

'So Breslin what bus do you wanna be on i'll go start truck checks'

'Were going to be in 1. I'll tell you what. We can switch driving and teching if its a BLS call. You BLS people don't get enough teching in'

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

'Were going to be in 1. I'll tell you what. We can switch driving and teching if it's a BLS call. You BLS people don't get enough teching in'

'Okay sounds good to me if you need me before we get a call I'll be out doing truck checks and depending on how last shift left it maybe washing' 

*taking another sip from my red bull I zip up my duty bag and throw it over my shoulder and head out to the bay to start checking in the medic* 

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

'Alright, Grimm, Cook, Valentine, you're with me on the Engine. Doesn't look like Captain Stone will be with us today, DC just assigned me as the acting for today. Been a while since I've been on Engine with you guys, so let's go take a look.'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

'I'm not picky, whoever normally drives is fine by me. That's you, right?'

I push myself up and make my way upstairs. The weather looks like it'll be fairly nice today, so I plan for at least one dumbass call. That means starting my paperwork now so I don't fall behind. 

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

'yeah me typically,ill grab my bag store my shit then start truck checks' * as jen turns to head presumable to her office i head to the bay and subsequently to my loaner bronco, to grab my duffel and such then start on the engines checkout*

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

I walk into the duty room, checking the assignment list before heading back out into the bay. Union meeting this morning had caused me being a bit late to getting on shift, but oh well. It was what we were here for.

ladder31ff.png

Firefighter Dave Wilson
Ladder 1

Badge 2013

*I would walk up to the duty room and take a quick nervous glance at my uniform to make sure it's all perfect and booths are still shiny before walking in. I'd knock on the door and walk in. I walk in and turn to the desk to speak to the duty officer.* 

'Hello, I'm Finn Miller, the new EMT. I was told to come here and report for my first shift.'

Generic%20EMT.png

EMT Finn Miller 
Medic unit unassigned

Badge 2206

*I pull into the bay after clearing the last call, Callahan finishes up the tablet and as soon as I back the Medic up jumps out and runs to the bathroom. I hear heaving. I get out and walk over to the door.*

'You alright bud?'

*I say with some sympathy. I look over and see a new EMT.*

'Hello, I'm Finn Miller, the new EMT. I was told to come here and report for my first shift.'

*Ignoring the fact that he just introduced himself I state at his nametape on his uniform, Almost spacing out*

'Miller, You must be the new guy. So Baptism of fire today, Looks like my partner is having some GI distress so you get to ride with the lieutenant.'

*I say sarcastically*

'As soon as he gets his shit out of the truck you put your shit in the truck with the big number one on the side. My name is Alyssa Breslin, But you can call me Lieutenant.'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

*walking out of the bathroom wiping my face*

'Whose this? also i'm good Lt that kids mom had a cat piss smell coming off of her and then the mix of my red bull it just didn't mix right'

*turning towards the new person in the room i stick my hand out to shake theirs* 

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

*I would look up as Breslin spoke to me. *

'Miller, You must be the new guy. So Baptism of fire today, Looks like my partner is having some GI distress so you get to ride with the lieutenant.'

I would nod in response. 

'As soon as he gets his shit out of the truck you put your shit in the truck with the big number one on the side. My name is Alyssa Breslin, But you can call me Lieutenant.'

'Alright, so I'll put my bag in there. Thank you ma'am, uh I mean lieutenant.'

*I would then look over my shoulder as Callahan enters his room and sticks his hand out to shake mine. I shake his hand and nod at him.*

'Hello sir, Finn Miller' 

Edited by Wickr

Generic%20EMT.png

EMT Finn Miller 
Medic unit unassigned

Badge 2206

'Whose this? also i'm good Lt that kids mom had a cat piss smell coming off of her and then the mix of my red bull it just didn't mix right'

'Change of plans. Since Callahan is staying you guys can take M1. I'll take the command car.'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

‘Hello sir, Finn Miller’

‘Welcome to SCEMS. Go put your stuff on the Ambulance you’ll be driving to get you used to driving in the city, Academy sucks when it comes to teaching driving skills in the ambulance’. 

*regaining my composure i turn towards the bunks* 

‘once you get your stuff on the truck the next thing we do here is normally go set up our bunk room as long as we don’t get a call’ 

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

‘Once you get your stuff on the truck the next thing we do here is normally go set up our bunk room as long as we don’t get a call’ 

'Will do' 

*I then would walk to the apparatus bay and put my backpack and gear on the rig. I would proceed to take inventory of the rig so I know where everything is for when we get a run, and to avoid my fear of having to fumble and tear apart the rig in the middle of a call searching for a tegaderm or something . *

* After taking inventory, I'd go to the bunks and unroll my sleeping bag and place it over the bunk. *

Generic%20EMT.png

EMT Finn Miller 
Medic unit unassigned

Badge 2206

• 2 weeks later...