Construction Accident 20230916-02

C. Aylward

*going over the patient i open my med bag and grab my BP Cuff and place it on his right arm*

'74/36'

*taking the BP Cuff off i slip on the Pulse ox on the patient*

'heart rate of 120'

"O1 is on scene."

*hearing O1 arrive on scene i key up my mic and give her some info*

"Ladder 1 to O1 i have a male patient approximately 24 years old with a abdomen impalement, Bp is 74/36 Heart rate of 120, Currently working on trying to get the patient stable give us like 5 minutes and we will have the patient out to you"

*releasing my PTT on my mic i go back to working on the patient* 

ladder1ff.png

Firefighter Paramedic Ian Boorne
Ladder 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2050

"Ma'am, I've got my ten-oh-six with Clinton, want me to gear up to come down with you?"

"L1C Engine 1 Capt your good to come down when you come down bring down a cut off wheel"   

"Yeah copy that L1C, standby."

I look over and there's some half dressed white helmet approaching us, I don't immediately recognize. 

'You are not USAR trained by this department. So help me god if you go down in that hole you better stay down there. Can someone give me a rundown of what's going on?'

"Ladder 1 to O1 i have a male patient approximately 24 years old with a abdomen impalement, Bp is 74/36 Heart rate of 120, Currently working on trying to get the patient stable give us like 5 minutes and we will have the patient out to you"

That is an EMS fucking LIEUTENANT!? This woman needs someone to explain her place to her.

"That's your explanation. Now if you'll excuse me lieutenant I have a rescue to go assist. Mind controlling your" I wave my hand at the over eager EMT "this  one? Let's leave fire work to the firefighters."

I climb into position and lower myself down. I call my statuses and announce I'm off line once I'm on the ground. 

"Command, Noel, I'm down, be advised we're going to be starting extrication. Can we get evac basket ready to lower?"

"Copy that."

I hear a man bark an order I only assume is the rigging command, while I size up the scene. 

Turning to Boorne, "How confident are you in the stabilization right now? I want to get him out of here ASAP. And I think it's going to hurt regardless, but I'd rather him not bleed out. Any meds in him yet?"

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Badge 2001

After asking the Captain, before I get an answer, I hear a woman's voice behind me. 'You are not USAR trained by this department. So help me god if you go down in that hole you better stay down there. Can someone give me a rundown of what's going on?' It takes a second, but I recognize it's breslin in a white helmet and a bunker jacket. I'm confused. She doesn't give me a chance to answer, but I am tech rescue certified by this department, in Clinton. I'll have to explain that later.

That radio crackles "Ladder 1 to O1 i have a male patient approximately 24 years old with a abdomen impalement, Bp is 74/36 Heart rate of 120, Currently working on trying to get the patient stable give us like 5 minutes and we will have the patient out to you"

"That's your explanation. Now if you'll excuse me lieutenant I have a rescue to go assist. Mind controlling your" She waves her hand at me "this  one? Let's leave fire work to the firefighters."

A moment after she enters the hole, I hear a new transmission

"Command, Noel, I'm down, be advised we're going to be starting extrication. Can we get evac basket ready to lower?"

I pass my backboard up to the guy on the ladder. "Here, this is probably the best equipment for her right now. Won't be too big. I've done some rescues in that position before. Space is a premium."

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Benjamin J. Jacobowski, III
Medic 1

Badge 2201

*looking up as i give our patient some Ket i see noel touchdown in the pit*

How confident are you in the stabilization right now? I want to get him out of here ASAP. And I think it's going to hurt regardless, but I'd rather him not bleed out. Any meds in him yet?"

'Just gave him some let's get this extra rebar cut so we can get the rest stable'

*i take my hoodie off that i am wearing and place it over the patients eyes to protect him from any sparks*

'Aight patient is ready for you to start cutting'

ladder1ff.png

Ladder 1

Badge 2050

*i walk up with the stretcher as Breslin yells at the new kid*

'You are not USAR trained by this department. So help me god if you go down in that hole you better stay down there. Can someone give me a rundown of what's going on?'

'Breslin after this call we need to talk in your Office'

*as they call for a basket down in the hole and breslin starts preparing to take over patient care, i start getting the stretcher set up and ready for the patient* 

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 2027

'Aight patient is ready for you to start cutting'

As Boorne places his hoodie over the face, I pull the cutters up and into place. "Actually, no sparks this time, I wasn't sure what we were working with, I brought down the cutters, not the wheel. Hopefully less mess and just as fast."

I put the cutters in as close to the body as is reasonable, and on a 3 count, start clipping the rebar until it breaks free.

"Alright, we're clear. Ready to start packaging?"

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

"Alright, we're clear. Ready to start packaging?"

'Yea put a collar on him imma take one last set of vitals'

*placing the bp cuff back on him i take second BP*

'61/30 Is BP and Pulse is still reading somewhat the same'

*looking at Noel as she starts getting the patient collared i key up my mic*

"L1C to Command we are getting ready to bring one male out have EMS ready"

*releasing my PTT i look at noel*

'Aight capt you go up with the basket and patient i'll be last man out of the hole'

ladder1ff.png

Ladder 1

Badge 2050

"I don't know what it is with you men wanting to stay in the hole as long as possible. Anyways, no complaints from me." 

I finish securing the patient to the board and look up to the firefighter at the top, making a swirling motion while keying my mic. 

"Noel ready to raise. Nice and slow." 

After what feels like a ten minute raise, which probably took less than a minute, we're being dragged away from the hole and onto solid ground. 

"Alright, I need some hands, lets get the basket away from the hot zone and get ready to transfer to EMS. Any ALS on scene from them yet?"

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*seeing noel get dragged away i pack up what i can back in my med bag and zip it up putting it on my shoulder i walk back over to the rope and clip back in and key up*

"L1C to command i'm ready to come up"

*as i release my ptt i start getting lifted off the ground and finally get pulled out of hole to see Noel looking for some hands to help get the Patient to EMS*

ladder1ff.png

Ladder 1

Badge 2050

"Alright, I need some hands, lets get the basket away from the hot zone and get ready to transfer to EMS. Any ALS on scene from them yet?"

*seeing our patient come up i bring the stretcher closer so we can get him moved on to it*

'Yes our Lieutenant is here she'll be providing ALS back up for us'

*grabbing a handle on the backboard i help get it placed on the stretcher*  

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

"That's your explanation. Now if you'll excuse me lieutenant I have a rescue to go assist. Mind controlling your" I wave my hand at the over eager EMT "this  one? Let's leave fire work to the firefighters."

*I turn to BJ.*

'Don't talk to these piece of shit firefighters. And you're here to do BLS, If you wanted to play firefighter you should have taken that test instead.'

*Hearing Callahan speak up*

'Breslin after this call we need to talk in your Office'

'Jesus fucking christ, What now?'

*As Callahan scurries away to assist Noel I follow behind*

'Yes, ACTING Lieutenant Noel. I am the single ALS resource on scene.'

*I take the size up, This is a nasty impalement, dudes unresponsive. Fire has done the bare minimum*

'Good thing we have fire ALS'

*I say loud enough for the ACTING CAPTAIN to hear*

'Let's get him to the bus. I need some hands in the back.'

*BLS guides the stretcher into the back of the bus while I walk ahead to start setting up my ALS bullshit.*

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

'Let's get him to the bus. I need some hands in the back.'

I start wheeling the stretcher over to the medic as a older looking firefighter hops up into the back and assists us getting the stretcher in the back*

'Well i guess that answers your question on Hands Jacobowski your driving Breslin's car to the hospital i'm going to assist her and the fire medic in the back of the bus'

*Turning towards the herd of firefighters that followed us*

'Hey can of you drive this thing smooth enough so my Lt can work back here'

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

'That's captain actually. Not sure where you got that bunker coat, but generally those are for firefighters, lieutenant. Now, if we can focus on the patient," I say, starting to give the brief summary. I inform her this was Boorne's work, I just evaced. 

That poor EMT that has to ride with her. What a bitch, and I don't know about her captain, but if she was my lieutenant, she'd be on leave. That firmly planted stick isn't going to get her anywhere.

As the EMTs load the patient in the back, I shed my gloves and start to dress down from the rescue gear, heading over to the Rescue Captain.

"Man, I don't know what her problem is. Jesus."

"Who is she, some captain?"

"Nope. EMS Lieutenant. I don't know where she found the white helmet or the bunker coat, but she snapped at me for no reason. Barely had enough chance to piss her off, let alone start a fight. She's going to land herself in some hot shit soon if she keeps with that chip on her shoulder."

"No kidding. Anyways, what was the situation down there? OSHA should be here soon." 

I start to give my report summarizing what we saw while waiting for the rest of the dog and pony show.

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

'Don't talk to these piece of shit firefighters. And you're here to do BLS, If you wanted to play firefighter you should have taken that test instead.'

Jesus christ. This lady is angry today. And for now reason. I mean, I remember reading that can be a sign of PTSD, maybe I should reach out to her after this call. Make sure she's actually okay. Misplaced anger and excessive anger is not only unprofessional, but it's a huge red flag in first response for PTSD. Actually, maybe I'll just contact our peer support people and ask them to reach out to her.

Breslin after this call we need to talk in your Office'

'Jesus fucking christ, What now?'

Yeah, definitely not addressing this myself. I don't want that fight. But she definitely needs help. Following with our gear to the patient, we help take the load off as they pass the basket and patient to us. 

Wait, isn't Noel an acting Captain? Man, this is a confusing day.

'Good thing we have fire ALS Let's get him to the bus. I need some hands in the back.'

'Yes Ma'am.' I say, grabbing hands on the side of the stretcher to guide it over the rough ground to the back of the ambulance. It's not far, but you definitely don't want to shake any injury any more than necessary. 

'Well i guess that answers your question on Hands Jacobowski your driving Breslin's car to the hospital i'm going to assist her and the fire medic in the back of the bus. Hey can of you drive this thing smooth enough so my Lt can work back here'

Odd suggestion. Wouldn't you rather the experienced ambulance driver drive? Anyways, not going to pick that fight. I may not be old, but I'm wise enough to know you don't start any more fights than you need to. 

"You good with that lieutenant, or would you rather I drive the ambulance, and have one of them take your rig to the hospital?"

I haven't climbed in back yet, since there's not enough room for four of us to work comfortably. And no need of me in there either.

medic1-2emt.png

Medic 1

Badge 2201

"You good with that lieutenant, or would you rather I drive the ambulance, and have one of them take your rig to the hospital?"

*fuck this guy is stupid why did Breslin put me with him*

'Do you not listen go take her car to the hospital Jacobowski, fire is going to drive the ambulance'

*i close the back doors as a fire driver gets in the drivers seat and key up my portable*

"Medic 1 ERT Transporting 1 to Shiloh County Medical Code three we have O-1 on board" 

*releasing my Ptt i go back to assisting Breslin*

'Aight Lt what do you need done'

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

'Aight Lt what do you need done'

*I get situated in the ALS seat.*

'Get me a set of vitals. Anything Fire side says or does is wrong so fuck them. Redo them'

*The older fire medic in the front with us looks at me through the little window.*

'Sorry, not sorry. Callahan, after vitals Start stabilizing this piece of rebar the best you can. Ima start running fluids'

*I get the lock in the arm set up with a saline line.*

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

'Do you not listen go take her car to the hospital Jacobowski, fire is going to drive the ambulance'

Callahan smacks the door shut and I hear the ambulance call its response to the hospital. I guess we just get to dump our partners? Lets hope that the rescue man knows how to drive a patient. You've got to be so careful with those kinds of injuries. 

I get in the cab of O-1, and reach for the shifter on the column. It's locked. It must be in anti-theft. No problem, just turn the keys. 

I reach, and nothing. They must be in the glove box. Or the console.

Nope and Nope. 

Shit.

"ERT, O1, be advised this is badge 2201, can you mark O1 out of service, we've got no keys here, they must have left with the patient  in M1. I'll standby at scene until we can get a spare set out here."

medic1-2emt.png

Medic 1

Badge 2201

"ERT, O1, be advised this is badge 2201, can you mark O1 out of service, we've got no keys here, they must have left with the patient  in M1. I'll standby at scene until we can get a spare set out here."

Well now if we didn't look great when we were dealing with that bitch acting whatever, We now look retarded on top of it.

'Fucking fantastic. we look like morons. Good thing this guy here has no idea what's going on. Horse tranquilizers are a helluva drug.'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

Hearing the radio traffic that O-1 is stuck  because the EMS Super Officer took off without giving her keys to someone.

"Well Cap, I guess that's gonna fall to you, since she's got half your crew on board already. Hopefully she only took the main key, and not the spare in the cabinet too. Man wouldn't that be a mess. Anyways, I guess we're good to take off here at least. I am sure friggin happy the engine doesn't have a key to lose. 

I believe that's called Karma. 

"Alright, Engine crew, ready to head back?"

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*After helping EMS get the patient in the truck i go back to my company and start packing up the ladder and taking my rescue harness off*

'Hey Cook imma go debrief with rescue and give them back the rope bag and harness and then i'll be set to get out here as long as you guys are'

*i turn around and walk over to the rescue* 

ladder1ff.png

Ladder 1

Badge 2050

'what kinda shitshow did i join... ' * i utter under my breath done with this call and the headache its caused after seeing and hearing the giant clusterfuck that just happened as i move to help pack up my keyless ladder looking up as i do a walk around for the chocks to landon* 'please for the love of all things holy,can we head home,we can back around the stuck medic suv after the engine lets us out'

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

'Yeah, hurry it up'

I respond to Boorne as he takes off seemingly as soon as he comes back.  Then I hear Valentine's comments.

'We can leave as soon as Boorne comes back so let's just get into our seats and wait.'

With that said I move back into the officer's seat

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021