Lounge

K. Summers

The main living area, containing a lounge and a kitchen with eating area for firefighters of station 1. The lounge is located on the main floor are the rear of the station and backs on to a patio with a BBQ. spacer.png

FireCpt%20Generic.png

Captain Karen Summers
Unit Not Assigned

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1612

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*While the two trucks are out on a run, and I'm waiting at the station, I decide to get to making a crew breakfast. With no clue how many people are on shift, just a rough guess, I start cooking for 10. Either we'll be well fed, or just enough. I learned in Chicago, never, ever, underfeed the house. I realize at that time, I'm only wearing a polo and jeans, no uniform, and my ID card is clipped to my pants. I run to the locker room to change to a station uniform while the pans heat up!*

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Badge 2001

• 1 month later...

*I plop the grocery bags on the counter and start separating all the items out. I crumble up the grocery bags and toss them out into the trash. I pull out my phone and open up Spotify and start up my 2000s throwback playlist.*

Demons by Imagine Dragons is first up.

*I place the phone down on the counter and set the oven for 425 degrees F. I head to the sink and give my hands a quick wash in the sink along with the produce.*

I pull out the cutting board and chef's knife and pop them on the counter across from the stove. I put the produce on the cutting board and see Erika coming in to help.

'Thanks for helping.' I say to her. 'Just chop the ends off the zucchini's and slice them into about 1 inch thick chips...and the tomatoes, just take the top off and quarter them.' I say as I'm digging through the mess our pans and baking sheets in one of the cabinets. 

I pull out a baking sheet and put it over on the counter, along with the largest pan I can find, which I move to the stove.

'Are you much of a gourmet?' I ask Erika.

Generic%20Paramedic.png

Logan Sparks, Paramedic
Medic 2
Shiloh County Fire Department, EMS
Badge 1808

*Finished with my cigarette I get back into the lounge to help Spark's cook.  Before I can ask what he wants me to do he tells me to cut up the zucchini and tomatoes.  With a nod I wash my hands first and pull out a cutting board.  Starting with the zucchini I grab a knife and cut them up into 1 inch slices.*

'Are you much of a gourmet?'

'Simple dishes at least'

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 1315

'Oh come on now, don't tell me you live on chicken and rice. like some poor bachelor.' I say teasing her as I open up my cans of crushed tomatoes with a handheld can opener.

'I mean you got a family at home. Who does the cooking? Or do you blow that generous county paycheck on pre-prepared foods?' I ask her playfully while I oil the pan and wait for it to heat up.

All-star by Smash mouth comes on next.

'When you're done just toss all those with a light drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper and spread them on that baking sheet....then into the oven it goes. 20 minutes.'

*I plop a spoonful of pre-minced garlic into the sauce pan. It sizzles violently.*

'As for me. I actually kind of enjoy cooking, but to be honest, I HATE when we draw the straw and are on dinner duty here. I can cook for 2, but cooking for 12 plus is not my forte.' I say as I sprinkle some Italian seasoning into the pan.

Edited by Chris07

Generic%20Paramedic.png

Logan Sparks, Paramedic
Medic 2
Badge 1808

*Sparks cracks some fun and I roll my eyes with a smile while I cut up the tomatoes to how he asked for them.*

'Well, I'll have you know my spaghetti isn't all that bad even if I have to use Preggo, Newman's Own, or Classico sauce.'

*When finished cutting up the tomatoes I do the rest of what he instructed.  Drizzling some olive oil, salt, and pepper on top of them.  Spreading them onto a baking sheet and placing them in the oven.*

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Badge 1315

*I pour cans of crushed tomatoes into the pan*

'Well you beat my sister. She could burn a bowl of cereal.'

'One last thing I need your help with here before I release you of your servitude.' I say to her. 'In one of these cabinets should be a super large serving bowl. Take those two packs of Caesar salad mix and mix them up in the big bowl. The dressing and stuff should all be inside the packs, and then just shove it in the fridge....pray there's room for it.'

'So what is you favorite food?' I ask her. 'If you say spaghetti with Preggo, I'm going to die.' I say smiling as I add some sugar, salt, and pepper to my sauce.

Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen comes on.

'This one's for all the ladies in the house!' I say out loud acting like a complete fool for no reason while making exaggerated dance moves as I stir the sauce.

Generic%20Paramedic.png

Logan Sparks, Paramedic
Medic 2
Badge 1808

*Grabbing a large bowl from the cabinets I mix the ingredients together with the two packs of Ceasar Salad Mix.*

'Oh, that's a tough call.   Roastaire chicken, BBQ Pork Ribs, Chicken Fettuccine, Fajitas... yeah, tough call.'

*Give a bit of a chuckle when Sparks shouts out and starts dancing to the song.  This music isn't my type but I can at least put up with it.*

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Badge 1315

'Awww man...you had to bring up BBQ pork ribs. I love Barbecue.' I say. 'Pulled pork and brisket with a good Mac & Cheese...hot damn.'

I stop staring the sauce and let it simmer. I put a lid on it to keep it from splattering more than it already has.

I lean on the counter as I wait.

'I can't barbecue for shit though, so that's kind of sad.'

Heathens by Twenty One Pilots comes on next.

'This is not exactly 2000s throwbacks...but whatever...who ever made this playlist was high on something.' I say frowning with confusion.

'What music are you into?' I say, leaning back into the counter, getting comfortable. This is probably the longest sustained conversation I've had with her. I know next to nothing about her. We've worked in the same building hundreds of shifts but never really worked together. I usually end up with Breslin or Dunne on occasion. Im genuinely curious what's behind her quite girl exterior. I hope I don't find myself digging too deeply. 

Generic%20Paramedic.png

Logan Sparks, Paramedic
Medic 2
Badge 1808

'Yeah, I'm not much for cooking barbecue either.  Usually Martin does that in our household.'

*Still mixing up the salad*

'What music are you into?'

'Oh, metal.  Particularly Blind Guardian, Kamelot, Ensiferum, Within Temptations, and Nightwish plays.  So pretty much power, symphonic, and folk metal.'

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Badge 1315

'No kidding. You're into metal. I'll be honest, not completely my thing, but I will say I do like Nightwish. I mean to be completely honest I don't mind metal, so long as it's not super screamer stuff.'

The sauce has reduced enough, I open up the gnocchi packages and pour them into the sauce, stirring it all until combined.

'You know what. As your reward for helping me out here, I shall grant you control of the playlist.' I stop stirring and unlock my phone with Spotify open and place it next to Erika.

'Have at it.' I offer as I go to take the veggies out of the oven.

'Alright. So pardon a curious gentlemen if I'm reaching too deeply here, but....you've been an EMT here for a while. What are your plans? Fancy playing glorified delivery driver forever or do you have your eyes on a bigger prize?'

Generic%20Paramedic.png

Logan Sparks, Paramedic
Medic 2
Badge 1808

*I flick out my cigarette and walk back upstairs.*

'Alright. So pardon a curious gentlemen if I'm reaching too deeply here, but....you've been an EMT here for a while. What are your plans? Fancy playing glorified delivery driver forever or do you have your eyes on a bigger prize?'

'Goddamnit Sparks you sound like a fucking neckbeard. But if you can convince her to try medic school again that would be great.'

*I sit down at the table since it looks like dinner is almost ready.*

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

*Finishing with the salad I elect to leave the playlist as is.  It's not like it's bothering me even if it's not my style.  Before I can chime in about what I plan to do with my career, Breslin comes in to the room and chimes in.*

'Yeah, I am neither saying yes nor no to that. Let's leave it at that.'

*Moving to where the chairs around the TV are I take a seat in one as I wait for the rest of dinner to be made and served.*

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Badge 1315

Veggies are mixed into the sauce with gnocchi. I turn off the heat and start to cover the top with thick slices of fresh mozzarella.

'Goddamnit Sparks you sound like a fucking neckbeard. But if you can convince her to try medic school again that would be great.'

'You can take the boy out of California, but you can't take the California out the boy, neckbeard included.' I reply to Breslin's comment.

'So you're thinking about it?' I say as I pull garlic bread out of the oven and switch the oven to broil.

'I mean come on. What's stopping you?' I ask her.

Slices of mozzarella cover the top of the large pasta dish. It takes two hands to transfer it to the broiler.

With the pasta in the broiler melting the mozzarella I quickly slice up the garlic bread and plate them.

'You could definitely do it. You're not dumb.' I say to Erika trying to pry her from her indecisive stance. Time to pry, especially since I have back up now.

Edited by Chris07

Generic%20Paramedic.png

Logan Sparks, Paramedic
Medic 2
Badge 1808

'Erika I've been telling you this for years. You can be a great medic. And plus, 2 years after medic school your base pay would be more then you make with OT now. It opens up a lot of opportunity. Without your medic you won't be able to take the lieutenants test.  You got a family to think about.'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

'Yeah. I mean you don't want to be another Tom Murdoch do you?' I say as I pull the pan full of pasta from the broiler. The mozzarella is melted and golden brown.

I place it on the counter.

'Breslin, can you yell at everyone and tell them that dinner is served?' I ask.

'I mean, everyone should be used to you yelling by now.' I say jokingly.

Generic%20Paramedic.png

Logan Sparks, Paramedic
Medic 2
Badge 1808

*I shudder as Garcia walks in. My sister said someone that looked like him was standing outside our door a few weeks ago screaming about a date. I don't think its coincidence but I am too uncomfortable around him to confront him.*

'DINNERS UP!' I yell loud enough for the station to hear.'

*I grab a plate and approach the counter.*

'Sparks this looks delicious I didn't know you could cook'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

*Well that didn't work and now I don't know what to say.  Certainly don't want to be one of those I have a boyfriend girls even if I do indeed have a boyfriend.  Looking back I glance over towards Breslin with god damn it help me out here eyes and I'll go back to medic school if you do.  Then I realize dinner is ready so I get up from my chair and grab a plate as I stand in line.  It's not that I hate this guy it's just that I have no idea what I might catch if he gets any closer.*

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Badge 1315

I make my way through the kitchen, blasting my Spotify discover weekly off my phone in my pocket. I've got the bathroom garbage with me and I'm on my way to the dumpster, cigarette preemptively in my mouth. 

"Someone needs to learn that changing out the toilet paper is a requirement, not a fucking suggestion. Also what the fuck is for dinner?" I say on my way out to the dumpster.

Fire%20Generic.png
Firefighter/Paramedic Ewan Raven, Paramedic In Charge
Unit unassigned

Badge 1142

Seeing Erika in trouble I try and help her out.

'Hey Frank. Why don't you head outside, smoke a doobie, and come on back and have some of this delicious eats.'

'..and Raven, tonight we have fucking potato gnocchi al forno, or for the less gourmet among us: I-talian tater dumplins in red sauce topped with some of that there mozzarelli cheese. Along with a Caesar in the bowl over yonder.'

Edited by Chris07

Generic%20Paramedic.png

Logan Sparks, Paramedic
Medic 2
Badge 1808