2021 Emergency Response Team Christmas Party

Blackburn

DSC-0213-1000x667.jpg

The annual ERT Christmas banquet is here! This banquet is limited to uniformed members of the ERT, SCFD, and SCSD.  Members are permitted to bring a plus one of their choice.  The banquet is held in a downtown Fort Shannon hotel.  Rooms are available at a discounted rate for banquet attendees.  The hotel has an open bar but alcoholic beverages have been banned from the event, thanks to last year's incident, so sneak some in if you are daring enough.  During the banquet, end of year awards will be handed out.  Following the banquet, there is a live band and a dance floor.  Attire is Class A or black tie civilian wear.

Parking my truck outside of the banquet hall, there's quite a few other unmarked and marked chief cars around here. I guess I'm not exactly early. I park next to the SCSD 500 unit, the special unit for the Sheriff and notice that while the cab is empty, the frost hasn't set in, so we mustn't be too far behind. 

I step out of the vehicle, reach back in to don my cover and then make my way into the hall. Stepping into the foyer, I catch a glimpse of my uniform in the shiny tinted glass and do a quick once over to ensure everything is straight and in order. The joys of a high collar uniform mean no tie to fuss with. Thankfully. 

I smile and shake the hand of Sheriff Wohl, introducing him to my wife Elizabeth before being introduced to the sheriff's partner. Years ago a sheriff would never dare be with a woman he wasn't married to, but I guess times have changed. I make my way through the people in both uniforms and plainclothes, likely spouses, greeting those I know by name, as well as a few people who feel the need to introduce themselves to the Commissioner. Elizabeth, ever the good accompaniment smiles and follows through. Once we're in the hall, I'm sure she'll break off with the Sheriff's partner, or the Fire Chief's wife.  

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

*i pull into a parking spot and put the car in park looking over at kat*

'You ready to go in?'

'I guess so'

*i get out of the car and walk around to the trunk grabbing Kat's Crutches and close the trunk as she opens her door.*

'Remember take your time. no need to rush'

*i hand her one of the crutches and help her stand up outta the car and close her door behind her and give her the other crutch. then i walk to the rear passenger door and grab her coat and my off duty fire arm and lock it into its holster and put my suit jacket on and we head into the Venue* 

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

*its that time of year again, the annual banquet, easing my truck into a parking spot i grab my cover  hitting my self with a lint roller one final time satisfied i open the door putting my SCFD cover on,my uniform is flawless,not newly issued new but extremely well kept and clean  kinda new the money i putn into the dry cleaning made sure of it shutting my trucks door i lock it then pull the gloves o the uniform outta the jacket pockets and pull them on,a final glance for imperfections and spotting none,i move to enter the hall,theres no liquior this year extreme but also xpected,tho i figured they woulda had a one drink limit as i enter the hall i opt to avoid any top brass i see unless i somehow incur there wraith or am approached or called,they can think i wasent here for all i care*

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1319

*Getting to our table i help Kat get into her chair and lean her crutches up against the back wall and then i sit down next to her*

'How are you feeling'

'I'm ok but sore can you go get me some water'

'
Sure let me go get that i will be right back'

*i stand up from my chair and head up towards the bar to get kat's water* 

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

With the kids at home with a babysitter my wife and I arrive at the hotel for ERT's Christmas and end of the year banquet.  Wearing my Class A's I park my Vette in an empty parking spot and get out to help my wife out of the passenger seat.  Opening the door I take her hand and help her out the vehicle with a smile on my face; the red evening gown she wore to this event is stunning on her.  Locking up the car and making sure the doors are closed we lock arms as we head to and inside the hotel.

Reaching the hall where the event is being held we head to our table and split off to do some socializing.  Well that's what my wife did at least.  Seeing her mingle with some of the other wives I opt to wander the hall to see what's here.

sd200lt.png

Lieutenant Andrew Blackburn
Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

Mingling around, I make my way to the front to check on the awards table. Sure enough, the awards are all in place, in their little cases with appropriate names on the boxes so I know who I'm talking to. I do a once over and see the special awards recognizing the various positions of the year, each with a medal and a bar to be worn, as well as numerous service bars, each with a small plaque recognizing the service. Fortunately there are no medals of valor or honor this year, as well as no purple hearts to be presented, meaning nothing new to report in that category. Thankfully. 

I turn around and see Zach walking by. 

"Captain. Good to see you."

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

I was told to make an appearance, and to wear a uniform. I have to say, uniforms aren't my thing, especially high collar ones, but the job requires it, and there's not really another one like this. Stepping into the lobby I check my uniform cap and overcoat at the coat check and make my way into the main area seeking out someone I know. Everyone seems to know everyone here, and I recognize some voices, but unless I start calling out radio commands, I doubt anyone will recognize me without that voice. And I certainly can't just start talking to myself. 

I pace around looking for the bar, or another person to talk to at least.

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2099

* icve mostly kept to myself the only rank and file firefighter here the rest are brass i dont deal with nor know nor want to know taking a pull from a cup of cocoa i grabbed im wandering around i sport an ERT uniform almost bumping into her,not to familer with how they have there ranks im not sure where she stands or if shes brass but she looks as out of place as i am* 'hi,your trying to find somebody you know too huh' * i smile* 'im fire fighte..err im  Dave,Dave Valentine  pump operator for engine 1,whats your name?'

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

Showing up in a blue evening gown I can only wish my girlfriend was here with me as I enter the hall for the banquet.  It's a pity that I have no plus one but I'm honestly only here for the food and the award ceremony that follows.  Not really feeling like socializing either I just head to my table and sit down.  Probably should have just worn my uniform but this dress was bought months ago and it needed to be worn.

'Oh, well'

I say to myself as I grab a glass of sparkling cider from a waiter passing by.  Taking a sip I look around the room and watch others socialize.

61nzxlAlAlL._AC_UY741_.jpg

Morgan Price
ERT 911 Communications Dispatcher
Badge 1606

I arrive to the banquet hall and take a deep breath.  I think to my house that this will be fun.  I was invited to go  last year but I did not go so i thought that I will go this year as it will be an amazing opportunity to meet new people.  I am wearing a black to blue dress.

'here goes nothing' 

i walk in to the banquet hall and look around to see if i recognize anyone. then I go and find my table. 

20305406-0C19-461E-8620-5CF9C48FA450.jpeg

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Whiskey Anderson
Engine 1

Badge 2049

*I weave through the crowd of people exchanging greetings with various members of the department I see Burke in the room and after last years shenanigans I'm am passively trying to avoid him*

"Captain. Good to see you."

*My ears perk up as I hear Burke's voice call me as I make my way to the bar for my and Steph's drinks. Figure its better for him to catch me now as opposed to a few drinks in.*

'Commissioner How are you?'

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Badge 1109

* its my first time going to the gala,idont really bother with award ceromonys or any vents outside normal duty but for whatever reason im here,parking my car rather then letting the valet take it i step out sharply dressed in a rarely worn uniform my Class A's which ive wore maybe twice are prim and proper.adjusting my overcoat i lock my car and head inside,im the tallest person in the room so im bound to draw looks luickily im used to them all not knowing anybody yet i hea to the bar grabbing a water from a passing waiter ill wait right now maybe ill see my formert patrol partner or somebody i know,or maybe my new co workers will show up and we can socalize*

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Detective Peter Karlsson
Unit unassigned

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 2113

* its that time of year again, the Christmas banquet as i ease my truck up to the Valet i swallow the regret building my my belly as i step out with a perfectly dry cleaned dress uniform everybody knows me and my fuckup i just hope theres not another issue or this very well may be mylast time in this uniform,as i remove my overcoat i imediatly spot the brass,specfically my captian and the ERT Comissioner scanning the room i spot the rest,then some rank and file,brother and sister officers in blues or formal wear not knowing anybody but the bosses and maybe yeah the bosses and Scrat my guess is thats his wife with him so wehat the hell wandering over tto them i smile * 'scrat,hello" * directing my eyes to his wife whos name i cant recall i also yet again smile as i  shift to sit down* 'i heard about your accident,hows your recovery been,ms rogers?' 

sd230sgt.png

Sergeant Jason Paterson, K9 Unit
Unit 230

Badge 1337

'Commissioner How are you?'

'Good. I guess, looking at where you're headed you are about to be sorely disappointed though. No booze this year after last year's fiasco. They'll give you a drink, but nothing with anything good in it. You've met Liz, right?' 

I say, turning my body towards her slightly, to point

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

I pull into the parking spot and cut the truck off. I adjust my tie one last time before opening my door and slipping the bell cap onto my head as I walk around to Evelyn's door. I offer her my arm and we head up to the entrance. We get inside and start looking around for a seat.

u22apc.png

Acting Platoon Chief Marcus Stone
Unit 22

Badge 1909

'Good. I guess, looking at where you're headed you are about to be sorely disappointed though. No booze this year after last year's fiasco. They'll give you a drink, but nothing with anything good in it. You've met Liz, right?' 

'Think were still cool enough to get invited to the afterparty where there will be booze?'

*I say with a chuckle. As I turn to The Commissioners Wife and extend my hand.*

'I don't believe I've had the pleasure.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

Taking Mark's hand I get helped out of his truck and even further helped inside as we link arms.  Rather than wearing my Class A's to this event I opted to wear a yellow mermaid gown that I felt looked better on me.  As we get inside and start looking for a couple of seats to sit in I chime in.

'Well, I don't care if we sit with my fellow cops or your fellow firefighters.  So, what table looks good for you?'

As a server passes by I grab a glass of sparkling cider and take a sip.

3f242b8a0e34cfb81e4a1b04fdf902ca.png

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

'Well Zach, were definitely cool enough, but after last year, they're probably going to want to keep us far, far away. Boss can't get mad if he doesn't know, right?'

The thought never crossed my mind of another party after, though I'm sure there definitely will be one. Maybe dry was a bad idea. I mean, we do trust these people with our lives.

'Anyways, I've gotta get this started soon, awards and dinner and all that fun. I'll see you after.'

I make my way to the front podium and the crowd starts to hush, making their way to the tables.

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

* seeing the crowd start to settle into there seats and not having a tabvle or +1,i see a few guys from station 5 at a bachlors or singles table awkwardly outta place like i am without at least one drink i spot captian stone with his girl nd rather then third wheeling it,opt to join the guys from station 5 at  the outta the way table they pixked hoping my plan to avoid the brass keeps working*

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

* with the crowds disperseing to there tables as im a last minute arrival i opt to stay at the bar till a few guys from my old shift  motion me over to there table so i move to sit down  with them waiting for this thing to formally kick off* 

Edited by Vanguard

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Detective Peter Karlsson
Unit unassigned

Badge 2113

*Burke heads off to handle the ceremony as I grab 2 sparking ciders from the bar. I make it back to my table with Steph.*

‘They only had sparkling ciders.’

Stephanie: ‘This is lame.’

‘Tell me about it.’

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

After what happened last year I wasn't sure that I wanted to show up to the banquet this year.  Still I'm here parking my truck, getting out, and entering the hall in my Class A uniform.  Seeing everyone starting to take their seats at their tables I join other firefighters at one of the tables.  Soon as I sit down a plate of rotisserie chicken stroganoff is put in front of me.  Looks like I arrived just in time for dinner to be handed out.  Grabbing my fork I dig in.

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

*At the banquet hall head table, I stand to the podium and start my speech, boring statistics, the thank yous, and then to what everyone cares about. The …of the year awards.

'It is my pleasure to recognize, for the first time since I've been Commissioner, as multiple year award for Medical Provider of the Year. I call Tom Murdoch to the front to recognize his outstanding service and his support from his peers.'

As Tom approaches the stage, I take the display case, which would normally hold a medal, and instead holds a set of bars, with 2020, and further, 2021 to display on his ribbon for his current medal. I'm still wondering how this crusty old fart got this award twice. I'm convinced they're trying to save money on minting medals.

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801