Detective work room

Z. Russo

"No. After the shots were fired and the scene was secured, the deputies involved self identified and were supported by the other deputies. I didn't see, because when I heard shots, I took cover."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Shiloh County Sheriff Department 
Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'You ready to go sargent?'

*finishing my coffee i set the mug down and move to stand with a nod* 'ill grab my partner ajax,and follow you to the address,what they got you driving,i know an unmarked but what,or will i know when i see ya outside?'

sd230sgt.png

Sergeant Jason Paterson, K9 Unit
Unit 230

Badge 1337

ill grab my partner ajax,and follow you to the address,what they got you driving,i know an unmarked but what,or will i know when i see ya outside?'

'Black ford Fusion, I'll meet you down in the Parking lot'

sd301det.png
Detective Tobias Moore
Unit 302

Badge 2306

'Come in'

*i let out a sigh of relief as i enter and close the door behind me, Pulling out the paper work out of my 24 hr bag i set down placing it on Detectives Desk*

'Sir I'm Firefighter kathrine Clark, I'm James Rogers Ex - Wife and i was wondering if you could serve this Restraining Order' 

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Kathrine Clark 
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2012

'Sir I'm Firefighter Kathrine Clark, I'm James Rogers Ex - Wife and i was wondering if you could serve this Restraining Order' 

'Wonderful. Whats the reason for the order of protection'

Detective Sergeant Edward McSorley
Unit Unassigned

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department Professional Standards Division
Badge 2042

'Wonderful. Whats the reason for the order of protection'

'He's been following me, And trying to message me through fake accounts on facebook and Instagram after a no contact order was granted by the judge after our divorce'

*Taking a deep breath*

'I wouldn't care but i've been hearing rumors he's made comments about me and i feel unsafe' 

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012

'He's been following me, And trying to message me through fake accounts on facebook and Instagram after a no contact order was granted by the judge after our divorce'

'I wouldn't care but i've been hearing rumors he's made comments about me and i feel unsafe' 

*Going through the motions and starting the paperwork on my end.*

'So as you know this is the largest law enforcement agency in the county. Since I am one of only a few IA investigators and this is a lot more routine than you would think, This happens a lot more than realize. Are you planning on filing charges?'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

'So as you know this is the largest law enforcement agency in the county. Since I am one of only a few IA investigators and this is a lot more routine than you would think, This happens a lot more than realize. Are you planning on filing charges?'

'I Know its the largest Law Enforcement Agency, But everyone i've talked to has said you've deal with scrat before so you know how he's going to react i wouldn't of come to you otherwise, And i only plan on pressing charges if he violates the order' 

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012

'I Know its the largest Law Enforcement Agency, But everyone i've talked to has said you've deal with scrat before so you know how he's going to react i wouldn't of come to you otherwise, And i only plan on pressing charges if he violates the order' 

'I hate to break the romanticism but I don't personally know him. He came up in a job related case, I don't get personally attached to anyone here and to be honest I have no idea how hes going to react. We just work in the same building.'

*I say a bit annoyed that she thinks I fraternize with the people I work with.*

'I will get this served today. Do you need a receipt of service or anything like that?'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

'I will get this served today. Do you need a receipt of service or anything like that?'

'No just serve it and call it a day'

*Getting up out the chair i nod and leave the office and head out to the parking lot to head back to the fire station* 

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012

'That's enough for one night.' I say as I look up from the computer screen.

10:42p. Jesus. What am I still doing here?

*I look around the room and see it's completely empty*

I save my report and struggle to find the damn logout button on the computer. 

'Damn computers.' I mutter as I find the logout button and see my desktop disappear.

I take off my glasses and shove them into my desk drawer.

'Awww...you gotta be kidding me!' I hear from the hallway outside the workroom.

*Bang* The sound of someone hitting something metallic. Rings through the mostly silent air.

*I head to the door and peek out into the hallway* 

Out in the Hallway, Jaydon Scott stands in front of a vending machine looking frustrated.

'Fucking asshole' he says in frustration as he hits the front of the vending machine.

'Take it easy kid. You break it, it's gonna take the county 3 damn years to fix it.' I say as I lean in the door way looking at him with curiosity.

sd301det.png

Detective Patrick Hannagan
Shiloh County Sheriff Department Deputy
Badge 2009

*I walk out of the parade room*

I just got yelled at for another civilian complaint. Just the thing I need after another shitty day in traffic. At least I got a quick workout in at the station's gym. Now it's time for some caffeine.

*I sigh*

I fucking hate Traffic Division. God, something needs to give. Ever since they moved me to traffic my whole life has been one giant boring record stuck on repeat. I hate this shit so much. It's boring as hell, but what can I do? Quit? No. The word quit doesn't exist in my vocabulary. Better things will come. They have to. I can't be stuck in this hell hole of a division forever...can I? 

*I swipe a credit card on the vending machine and select an energy drink*

The machine starts to come to life, then rattles, and....nothing. Nothing comes out. The words "Thank you, Enjoy!" Appear on the vending machine display.

*I check the bottom of the machine and feel nothing inside. The damn thing broke and stole my money!*

'Awww...you gotta be kidding me!' I say in frustration.

*I give the side a light tap*

'Fucking piece of shit!' I say as I slap the side even harder, filling the hallway with noise.

Fucking figures. Department wants to fuck me, might as well let the vending machines in on the action too.

'Fucking asshole' I say even louder as I give the vending machine a hard shove and light kick.

'Take it easy kid. You break it, it's gonna take the county 3 damn years to fix it.' I hear from off to the side.

I see Detective Hanagan leaning in the doorway of the detective work room looking at me with a light smile.

*I blush with embarrassment*

'Oh..sorry sir. It's just...the damn thing broke and took my money.' I reply trying to hide my embarrassment.

SheriffDep%20Generic.png
Deputy Jaydon Scott
Unit unassigned
Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1871

'Oh..sorry sir. It's just...the damn thing broke and took my money.' Scott replies looking slightly ashamed at having been caught.

'Trying to get yourself a midnight snack? Figures. Everyone else around here robs you, why not the vending machine too?' I say only half-jokingly.

'No sir, just trying to get some caffeine. I have a bit of a long night ahead of me.' he replies.

'You just finished a shift?' I ask.

'Yes sir. A while ago. Just got some gym time in, about to head home.' he replies.

'Ah, well I got some caffeine over here for you. Come in.' I say gesturing him into the detective's workroom.

*I walk him over to the coffee maker in the workroom.*

'Here.' I say as I pour him a cup of coffee. 'This is a real man's energy drink. Been fueling men for hundreds of years. Not that sugar-laden crap you kids like.' I say matter of factly.

'Cream and sugar are there.' I say as I point to the corner of the counter. 

*I hand him a cup and then start to pour my own cup*

'Umm...thank you sir.' He replies in a bit of a confused voice, and then awkwardly starts adding cream and sugar.

*I walk over to my desk and gesture him over.*

'Come on over.' I say to him.

The room remains empty except for the two of us. 

Scott follows me over to my desk where I sit down, pull a chair from the desk next to mine, and gesture to him to sit.

'This is what real men do. They drink coffee and talk.' I say as I sit down. 

Scott looks at me confused by what's going on.

*I take a sip of coffee*

It tastes like it always does, cheap.

*I reach down and unlock my lower desk drawer*

'Is there something you wanted to talk to me about, sir?' he asks, still confused about the whole situation.

'No. Nothing in particular.' I say as I pull out a half-empty bottle of Irish Whiskey.

'Here. This ought to spice that office sludge right up.' I say as I start to pour some whisky into his cup and then into mine.

'Uhhh....thank you....sir' his confusion only worsens to the the point of nervousness.

'Hey kid, quit the sir shit. You're making me feel old...It's Pat...and for Christ's sake, relax. You're not in trouble or anything.' I say noticing how tense and nervous he's become.

'So you're doing what now? Traffic, right?' I ask him trying to start a conversation.

'Uhh yes sir...I mean Pat' he replies nervously.

'Traffic from patrol, huh?' I say as I take a sip of my spiked coffee. 'Who'd you piss off to earn that?'

'Uhhh...no one. They asked, and I was a team player and volunteered' he replies taking a sip of coffee somewhat trying to avoid the question. I can tell he's surprised by the strength of my vintage bottle of whiskey.

*There is a long pause*

'Listen kid. I've been watching you from afar for a while. I gotta say. You remind me a lot of myself when I first started.'

*He looks at me oddly*

'Oh?' he replies.

'Yeah. Full of energy, jumping at any opportunity to get into the action, taking no bullshit from anyone...you got a lot of potential. Shit like that.'

He remains silent.

'I'm not the only one who sees it in you. You've got a potential future here.' I reply as I take a sip.

'Potential?' he replies looking up at me confused again.

'Yeah well...' I pause. Fuck it. I'm going to be straight with him.

'Look. You've been here what....4 years? 5 years? They take you off of patrol and stuck you into the shittiest shift in the traffic division. You definitely pissed someone off.' I say as I start to chuckle.

'What do you mean?' he replies, now sounding intrigued.

'Look, kid. I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass. You don't go from gung-ho ass kicking on patrol to directing traffic for 8 hours a day at a construction site without fucking up.' I say matter of factly.

He looks at me dead in the eyes. This isn't going to go well, but this kid needs to hear it.

sd301det.png

Detective Patrick Hannagan
Shiloh County Sheriff Department Deputy
Badge 2009

'Look kid. I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass. You don't go from gung-ho ass kicking on patrol to directing traffic for 8 hours a day at a construction site without fucking up.' Pat say rather sternly.

What the fuck is this guy talking about? What is this?

'Look they asked me to transfer divisions so I did. Like a good team player.'

'Bullshit. You got Volun-told. You bought that be a team player bullshit? Come on kid. I've been around here 30 years, and I know a departmental dicking when I see one.'

I continue to stare at him. The fuck?
He continues.
'Think about it. You love action, adventure, and busting perps. You fucked up, they can't fire you, so what do they do...they put you in a god-awful division that's the exact opposite of what you're here for...you know...to get you bored...jaded...to wear on your mind and desire to be here. It's all a ploy to get you so goddamn bored that you quit. Think about it kid, Stuck for years in traffic and not a damn promotion, not to corporal, FTO, fucking road cone coordinator...nothin.'

What the...what is this guy talking about!?

'You keep mentioning that I fucked up. When exactly? What did I do that was so egregious that they would want to get rid of me?' I ask starting to get a little pissed off now.

'Don't bullshit me, kid. You've been here 5 years. 2 investigations on you...one for allegedly engaging in a brawl in a perp's house, and lets not talk about the real straw that broke the camel back....'

'...and what would that be?' I ask snarkily.

'Come on, you know....the turning point. The point they moved your ass over here.'

'...no...please...enlighten me.' I reply sarcastically.

'Two words...Christmas Party' he replies.

*I roll my eyes*

'Aww Jesus. Here it goes.' I say. I can't believe this shit is coming up again.

'You drunkenly assaulted a firefighter and got into a huge fucking brawl with hotel security...in front of a bunch of brass mind you. It's a fucking miracle that you're even still here.' 

This fucking asshole.

'Look, I don't need to be lectured on something that happened years ago, okay?' I say as I stand up.

'The only reason you're still here is because Russo went to bat for you. You have no idea how much shit he got and how close you came to being thrown out on your ass for that. Also got your boy Caldwell in some hot water too, luckily he had enough kudos to dodge the bullet on it.'

'You don't know shit, Pat.' I say as I start to argue.

'Oh yes, I do. Kid, I've been here 30 years. I know nearly every damn person around here. I know what I'm talking about.'

'Why are we having this conversation, Pat? Huh?' I ask angrily as I shrug my shoulders in an exaggerated manner.

'Because I've been in your exact same situation.'

'Oh, really? You're a fellow fuck up? Great. My fucking savior. I don't need to hear this shit.' I reply angrily as I start to walk away.

'Yes, you do. Now shut the fuck up, sit down, and listen for once in your goddamn life.' he says firmly as he stands up from his seat.

*For some reason I stop turn around, and start listening*

'I've been here 30 fucking years. I'm only a few away from full-blown retirement...and here I am...Detective. Not Detective Segeant...Not Lieutenant...fucking Detective...A guy with my seniority should be so far up the totem pole that Russo should be out there polishing my fucking car right now...'

He pauses. I continue to listen.

'...and why do you think that is? Huh? Because I fucked up, years ago. Yeah. I chased down a perp in my car as he ran away, drove up next to him, and opened my car door slamming it into his back as he ran...he fell over face first causing him to break an arm and hit his head something awful. I think he had something like 4 surgeries and doesn't talk good anymore. Needless to say, the department got sued, and my ass was on the chopping block but by some miracle, they didn't fire me. As penance, ever since that day, every time my name and application for promotion has come across the undersheriff's desks, it gets put in the shredder. So here I am. Perpetually dicked by the department for something I did 25 years ago...and I see the same shit happening in front of my eyes with you. They can't fire ya...so they make you quit. Unfortunately for them, I'm a stubborn bastard.'

'Let's be real, Pat, you're stuck here because you do shady ass shit. Tampering with evidence? Planting evidence? Intimidating witnesses?...oh and having a family connection with the captain sure helps, right?' I let out in frustration, not realizing I've just said out loud years' worth of office rumors about Pat to his face.

'You fuckin leave Russo out of it' he says starting to get angry himself as he puts his finger into my chest.

He relaxes and calms himself.

'You have a fucking shot at getting out of this fucking hole you're in, and here you are, completely in denial that there's even a fucking problem.' he shouts back at me.

'How many complaints have you had since you moved to traffic? How many situations have you escalated? How many fucking fights have you gotten into with perps...on traffic duty...traffic!'

*I open my mouth to reply but he cuts me off*

'If you were anyone else, you're ass would have been gone a long time ago....but obviously someone seeing some potential still in you. Some potential to turn your shit around...yet here you are...I know why you are late leaving today...you sucker punched another smart mouth asshole again, didn't you? Jesus. Another complaint? You just can't stop fucking up, can you?' he replies. 

That's it. This fucking guy is going too far.

*I get right up in his face*

'You want to talk about a smart-mouthed asshole?' I say looking directly into his eyes and I stand chest to chest with him. My fist clenched.

Pat's face is calm. His voice was calm and soft.

'Look at you. What are you going to do? Are you going to hit me? Do you want to find out just how much farther that potential and goodwill can carry you around here? Go ahead. Hit me. Seal the deal. Come on.'

*I continue to stare but do not act*

'You got problems kid. Deep-seeded problems that you need help with. You better get help fast, because your career here is spiraling.' he says remaining completely calm despite my visible anger.

*I relax my clenched fist*

'You're at a turning point, kid. You better fix yourself, before it's too late.' he looks me in the eyes.

What the fuck am I doing? Was I really about to punch a detective? I swell full of anger but turn away from Hanagan, grab my cup of coffee, and throw it across the room. It lands on some poor sap's desk, spilling coffee all over it and some papers that were left out.

*I storm out of the detective work room as Pat continues to stare at me and slowly shakes his head.

Edited by Chris07

SheriffDep%20Generic.png
Deputy Jaydon Scott
Unit unassigned
Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1871