Duty Room

K. Summers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Walking into the fire station I look around at everything. Wow, it's so much nicer than what we have at Clinton. I'm excited to start my first day here. I stop at the front door and look back to my pride and joy, my 2006 F150 and notice the left A pillar spot light is hanging loose again. I make a mental note to fix that when I get off. I haven't ever worked a 24 on an ambulance before, but I'm a Clinton volunteer, so I'm always on call. It's like always being on 24s. 

Pausing before I walk down the hall, I catch a look at myself in the reflection of the glass. I adjust my raptor shears on my belt and the pair in my pants pockets before shifting my duty belt around. They don't make holsters for the pagers, so I had to use a weird fitting one because my pager doesn't fit on my duty belt. Oh well.

I follow the voices until I find the door labelled DUTY ROOM.

'Hi Everyone! I'm Ben Jacobowski. I'm the new EMT. I'm happy to be here with my new brothers and sisters.'

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Benjamin J. Jacobowski, III
Medic 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2201

*i walk into the station and put my gear bag in my locker and go get my new set of gear out of the gear room and put it on the truck, After i walk into the duty room and sit down in one of the chairs* 

'i'm back'

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Kathrine Clark 
Engine 1

Badge 2012

*I walk into the Duty room. Still a bit hung over from last night. I see the new guy I got the email about.*

'New guy, Just wait for a partner. I'm going to my office and finishing my coffee.'

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

When I see one lieutenant walk in, I stand but don't say anything. When the second one comes in and acknowledges me, I snap to attention.

'Yes ma'am. Good morning, Ma'am'

When she leaves I look over at the guy next to me. 'She's in charge of EMS, right? I think I've seen her on calls I've run before. I'm with Clinton and Shiloh Volunteers, so I know a few of the brass.'

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Benjamin J. Jacobowski, III
Medic 1

Badge 2201

'Yes ma'am. Good morning, Ma'am'

*I have a headache. The light hurts. Why the fuck is this new guy such a fucking blowjob. I walk into my office and close the door behind me. He seems like he would be someone who follows.*

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

* easing my F350 into the station lot 1000  miles more on its odometer and a new member of my family with a second on the way my trip tothe gulf was worth it as i park the truck and stepp out,moving to grab my duffel bag from the toolbox,after settleing in i walk into the duty room* 'hey everybody im in' *  say as i sit down watng for the others*

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

*I walk into the day room, I let the door slam behind me. Walking over to the coffee pot, I pour a cup and grab an empty stuffing it with paper towels. I take my seat in the corner and pack my can of Grizzly, I put a lip in and then spit in my empty cup.*

'Here'

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Bruce Beard
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Dept. 
Badge 2111

*Prior to entering the building, I pop a few Advil in my car in the parking lot and wash it down with some Gatorade before resting my forehead on the top of my steering wheel for a few seconds. I yawn and sit back up right, glance at the clock, and decide it's about time to head in. I step out and collect my backpack, oversized iced coffee, and gatorade and slowly walk inside. 'One more glass of bourbon is never a good choice.'  I think to myself. I never think there's any harm in one more glass, until I inevitably say 'One more' at least 3 more times and before I know it I'm finishing my fifth glass; great decision at the time, not so much the next morning. I approach the duty room door and step in*

'Good morning, good morning' My groggy voice says to the room and no-one in particular

*I take a seat in an empty set of chairs and take another swig of Gatorade before leaning back and closing my eyes to await assignments*

image.png

Paramedic Doug McGuire
Medic 1

Badge 0907

*I step out of my office and see Doug wander in. The look in his eyes says he had a very similar night.*

'I'm brewing a pot of coffee and there's some advil in my office'

*EMS assignments*

Command Car

Breslin

M2

McGuire

Jacobowski

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301