Construction Accident 20230916-02

C. Aylward

ENGINE 1, LADDER 1, RESCUE 1, MEDIC 1, O-1, 25 SEVENTH STREET NORTH NORTH FORT SHANNON, CONSTRUCTION ACCIDENT

‘911 What’s your Emergency’

‘Hi Uhh Yea I’m working at 25 Seventh Street North and one of my workers was down in the hole and something fell out of the dumpster and came back down and impaled him’

‘Okay Sir What’s your name and is your friend conscious and or breathing’

‘My Name is Daniel and I don’t know he’s 20 feet below grade right now I’m trying to get people to him, OH GOD it doesn’t look like he’s moving Send Help please’

‘Okay Daniel I have fire and ems on the way, don't have anyone remove the Impalement and try to clear the area as much as you can

‘Okay we can do that and I just got told by someone he isn’t conscious but is breathing’

‘Okay thank you sir Fire and EMS will be there soon stay on the line with me

Muting my Mic I reach over and hit the button for Station 1’s tones

‘Engine 1, Ladder 1, Rescue 1, Medic 1, and O-1 your being requested 25 Seventh Street North for a reported construction accident. Repeating, Engine 1 Ladder 1 Rescue 1 Medic 1 and O-1 you're being requested 25 Seventh Street North for a reported construction accident’

After Toning out the call I reach over and unmute my mic to find out the caller hung up

ENGINE 1, LADDER 1, RESCUE 1, MEDIC 1, O-1, 25 SEVENTH STREET NORTH NORTH FORT SHANNON, CONSTRUCTION ACCIDENT

Lieutenant Charles Aylward
Shiloh County ERT Communications Dispatch Supervisor
Badge 1663

'Rescue 1 ERT  we are Enroute'

*hearing the call and Rescue 1 go Enroute right at Dispatch i look at dave as he finishes lowering the cab*

'You Ready dave first call for us on the tiller' 

*i head to the trailer and grab my coat and throw it on and make the climb up to the cab* 

ladder1ff.png

Firefighter Paramedic Ian Boorne
Ladder 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2050

Hearing the tones. Construction accident. Great.

"Gear up!" I call out, in case anyone was thinking they'd go without full gear on this one. I grab my boots and jacket and climb into them, as Rescue 1 pulls out the door a little ahead of us. I hate these generic descriptions, are we talking a workplace injury or a confined, or jesus, a building collapse?

Sitting in the cab, I bring up the notes on the MDT for info.

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Badge 2001

"Gear up!"

*getting to the truck i get into my bunker pants well putting on my nomex hood and put my radio strap on and grab my jacket and helmet and climb in to the cab of the engine*

'Good lord first shift back in a while and we get this'

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Kathrine Clark 
Engine 1

Badge 2012

*with the truck still running lights and all,and very much still infront of its bay door i hop in after i secure the cabs latchs and pop the parking brake ill hold my foot on it for now as i pull my intercom on as i close my door still sitting on my turnout  jacket though ive sense opted to move the pants to by the tractor cab so i pull them on before i get settled in to drive  i key my intercom fully shutting my door unlike a moment ago where it was at best half closed* 'check,check,got me back there ian,im all set up here man' *i say as mentally i run  the route and plan out my turns while i wait for landon to climb in'

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

'check,check,got me back there ian,im all set up here man' 

'10-4 buddy take a right out the station when we get going'

"Rescue 1 ERT on scene we are going to have one male 20 feet down in a hole with a piece of a Rebar bar in his stomach Rescue 1 Portable will be with Seventh Street North Command. Ladder 1 when you arrive on scene set up your ladder for pulley operations and Engine 1 for right now stage behind the scene and send your manpower forward"

Edited by Jimothy

ladder1ff.png

Ladder 1

Badge 2050

Hearing the tones I head down to the bay and gear up before getting into the officer's seat of the Ladder.  Seeing everyone is on board I mark us responding as I check the notes on this call.

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

'Well it sounds like we're dealing with a guy who was impaled by something while in a hole.  So unless a better plan comes up the current plan is get the ladder over the hole so you can drop in, do whatever medical you can do for him, and figure out how to get him out.'

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

'Well it sounds like we're dealing with a guy who was impaled by something while in a hole.  So unless a better plan comes up the current plan is get the ladder over the hole so you can drop in, do whatever medical you can do for him, and figure out how to get him out.'

'Okay LT i'll repel in off the ladder'

"Seventh Street command ERT  Be advised patient is not conscious and very shallow breathing do we have a ETA on a medic unit?"

'Shit Dave step up the response' 

ladder1ff.png

Ladder 1

Badge 2050

'Shit Dave step up the response' 

* ill admit ive kinda been babying the new truck,if only to get a feel for how it drives but my response speed could be a bit faster ian coupled with the radio call spurs me to do just that* 'was doing 45 in a 30... hows 55 do ya,turn should be comming up here in a minute bro,was getting a feel for the rig is all' * i say as i let the airhorn rip  as i slow to clear an intercsection before getting back on the throttle* 'that was 5ths cross street' * another rip of the airhorn 6th streets crossing* 'ian kick to the left a bit,gotta juke move comming  stalled fedex at 3 oclock 3 oclock he overshot the intersection or something' *by this point im coasting back at around 45 miles per hour but due to the construction part of the roads blocked,as i turn i feel ian turn as well and we thread the needle between barriers from my fguess is water main or paveing crews and the  delivery truck then i keep the momentium and make the right on to 7th street* 'ok... wheres our job sight.....' * as i scan for yet more construction stuff or better yet the rescues lights or a flagger*

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

*Pulling up on scene i feel the truck come to a stop as dave pulls the airbrakes i take my headset off and climb down off the trailer and go link up with the Rescue Captain*

'Aight do we have access down there or we going down via the stick'

'Stick will be quickest'

'okay well my Officer and driver get set up i'm going to get my repel gear on and get the med bag ready to go down'

*i go over to the back of the rescue and start getting my repelling gear on*

ladder1ff.png

Ladder 1

Badge 2050

*Hearing the call come in I head down to the engine, seeing the other two get in the back*

’Guess I’m driving today..’ *I mutter to myself*

*I grab my gear and toss it in the drivers compartment. I climb behind the wheel, hit the battery switch and fire the truck up. Reaching up and hitting the emergency master I pull out of the firehouse closing the door behind us and turning behind the ladder*

*As we pull in behind the ladder at the construction sight, I look to Noel*

’I recon the ladder and rescue are gonna handle the rescue, what do you want from us to support them?’

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Bruce Beard
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Dept. 
Badge 2111

*feeling the Airbrake pull from the engine i get out opting to leave my jacket in the engine and grab my helmet*

’I recon the ladder and rescue are gonna handle the rescue, what do you want from us to support them?’

'I'm not tech rescue certified so is there anything we could even do here other then be hands for when they bring the patient up?'

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Kathrine Clark 
Engine 1

Badge 2012

As Valentine gets the ladder ready and in place I size up the scene and look down the hole.  Seeing the impaled worker on the ground.  Not seeing anyway down there I just wonder how he got down there to begin with.  Did he fall before the stuff was dropped on him or what?

'Yeah, looks like repelling down from the ladder is the best way to do to get to him'

Didn't really want to do it that way if it couldn't be helped but with no other way it's gotta be down.

'Valentine, ladder in position? Boorne, you ready?'

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

*getting the last of my repelling gear on and grabbing my rope bag i walk back to the ladder as Valentine and cook are getting it ready*

'Valentine, ladder in position? Boorne, you ready?'

'I'm ready i just gotta get the med back out of the truck then i'll go down sir, do we have a channel we can operate on so i have comms with you guys?'

*i start doing final checks well waiting from a response from Lt Cook*

ladder1ff.png

Ladder 1

Badge 2050

After fueling up, and picking my cookie out from my partner, I hear the radio go off. Oh that's us!

"Come on Callahan, cookies are for later."

I flick on the siren and lights, in that order, and start rushing to the scene. We're maybe a minute or two away. We'll probably be first. Actually, I fully intend to be there as quick as possible. Someone needs us. Callahan updates our status and I focus on getting us there quickly and safely. 

Unfortunately, I guess we weren't meant to be first. Between shit traffic and teleportation, it seems like fire made it way ahead of us. No chance on getting in to get that care started yet. 

"Medic 1, we're on scene." I say into the radio, parking the ambulance and heading around. I might as well get us up to speed if I can't get with the patient yet.

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Benjamin J. Jacobowski, III
Medic 1

Badge 2201

"Medic 1, we're on scene." 

*i look at my partner as hes basically falling out the truck placing it in park and see him take off towards the scene*

'Jacobowski what are you forgetting?'

*i say getting out of the truck and walking to the side door on the box*

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 2027

'Good lord first shift back in a while and we get this'

"Probably not going to be much for us. Rescue will be IC, we'll basically be muscle."

As I say that, I hear Whisky click in to her seat. As the last of us get in, we're out, maybe ten seconds behind the rescue. When we're close, we hear the size up.

Rescue 1 ERT on scene we are going to have one male 20 feet down in a hole with a piece of a Rebar bar in his stomach Rescue 1 Portable will be with Seventh Street North Command. Ladder 1 when you arrive on scene set up your ladder for pulley operations and Engine 1 for right now stage behind the scene and send your manpower forward"

’I recon the ladder and rescue are gonna handle the rescue, what do you want from us to support them?’ Beard asks.

"Get in to place, follow the techs, do what they say. I'd say it'll be a rappel, and then a hoist to the ambulance and straight in."

Pulling up on scene, I key us on scene, and announce the same. 

"Seventh Street command ERT  Be advised patient is not conscious and very shallow breathing do we have a ETA on a medic unit?"

They must have jumped down the hole. Jesus. 

"Command, E1, we're ALS, I'll be over in a second to assist." I radio back.

"Guys, grab your gear and follow me!" I call out, grabbing the ALS jump bag from the first compartment. 

Meeting up with the Captain, I don't see any ropes, so I'd say it was a quick scale. Spiderman style. Who knows. 

"Cap, I'm ALS. You want me down in the hole, or he coming up to me?"

Before I get an answer, I see an ambulance pulling in. Oh good. I can stand down. When I look closer though, shit it's the BLS one. Who the hell assigned BLS to a job like this. Where is the ALS unit?!

"They're BLS. I can support until we can get ALS here."

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*seeing Capt Noel run up with a med bag as i finish my final checks i climb the turn table of the ladder and get ready to head up the ladder to set up for my repel down*

'Capt go get your Repel gear on imma need hands down here'

*i tie a Clove hitch to one of the Eye bolts at the end of the ladder and throw my rope bag down in to the hole and clip in and then key up my mic*

"Ladder 1 Portable C to Command. Ladder 1 Entering the hole with 1"

*releasing my Ptt on my mic i turn around and slowly get off the tip of the ladder Slowly lowering myself into the pit i finally hit the bottom and unclip and key back up* 

"Ladder 1 Portable C Command Ladder 1's Member is on the ground Stand by for Patient Assessment" 

ladder1ff.png

Ladder 1

Badge 2050

"Yeah, you go in, there's a medic on the ladder about to go down"

Shit, I forgot I wasn't the only fire medic here today.

'Capt go get your Repel gear on imma need hands down here'

"Yeah, you go on in get care started, I'll follow up with the extrication gear." I look over the edge and see the patient. My initial size up complete, I jog over to the harness and start suiting up. I ditch my gloves as I get geared up.

"Ladder 1 Portable C to Command. Ladder 1 Entering the hole with 1"

I grab a pair of battery cutters and attach them to my D ring with a chicken loop and two beaners. 

"Alright guys, rig to raise once I'm down. We're going to need to get back up once he's free pretty quick.

"Ladder 1 Portable C Command Ladder 1's Member is on the ground Stand by for Patient Assessment" 

"L1C, It's Noel, I'm just about ready to go down. You ready for me to come in or need a minute?" I say into the radio.

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

As I hurry up and wait, I standby with a backboard and my go bag. I see the captain waiting for direction and I interject. 

"Ma'am, I've got my ten-oh-six with Clinton, want me to gear up to come down with you?"

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Benjamin J. Jacobowski, III
Medic 1

Badge 2201

"L1C, It's Noel, I'm just about ready to go down. You ready for me to come in or need a minute?"

*I start checking over the patient as Noel Radios asking if i'm ready for her to come down so i stop for a split second to key up*

"L1C to Engine 1 Captain imma need a Minute"

*releasing my PTT i look up and see a Worker standing there*

'Sir what happened here'

'Uh yea we were cleaning out some old rebar outta this hole and the  Excavator was bringing the dumpster out and next thing we know Jimmy was laying on the ground with this bar through his stomach'

'Okay Sir we are going to take good care of him and get him to the hospital as fast as we can'

*going back to my patient assessment other then very obvious piece of rebar sticking through the poor guy there is no noticeable injuries so i key back up*

"L1C Engine 1 Capt your good to come down when you come down bring down a cut off wheel"   

ladder1ff.png

Ladder 1

Badge 2050

*I get toned out and follow M1. As I get on scene I park to give the ambulance enough room to get out.*

"O1 is on scene."

*I grab the ALS equipment and throw on my bunker jacket and white helmet. I walk up and see the crews congregating around the hole. Walking up to the EMS crew.*

"Ma'am, I've got my ten-oh-six with Clinton, want me to gear up to come down with you?"

'You are not USAR trained by this department. So help me god if you go down in that hole you better stay down there. Can someone give me a rundown of what's going on?'

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P