K. Summers

*id walk out on the Bay Area I see jay with is his regular clothes on*

”What Wrong Why You Ain’t  on duty”

”I got suspended”

*id get so angry and slapped him*

”WHY THE FUCK JAY IM PREGNANT AND YOU GET SUSPENDED*

”Babe Don’t get mad”

”Fuck Off And leave alone for a bit”

*id see him drive to head back to pd I start crying hysterically as I’m sitting on the bench*

medic1emt.png

EMT Aylssa Smith
Medic 1

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 2020

*I follow behind Bobby to our truck for the shift. Since I'm both new and I like to know what I'm working with, I drop the bag I'm still carrying in the passenger seat.*

'As long as it isn't ALS, I don't mind alternating. If it's a BS day, I'm not above BLS work.'

*I answer back, climbing up into the back of the truck to start familiarizing myself with the equipment and where it's at.*

'Hey Bobby, can you check what our fuel is at?'

*Under my breath I add 'and that it actually starts.' Not all crews are diligent about little things like that. I've had more than one dead battery from a crew not plugging the truck in and leaving the master on. New as I am here, I'm not about to insult them if they are good about it but I don't like chances.*

‘ yeah not a problem i typically give the rig im typically in a once over anyway,im no official mechanic but i grew up on a ranch so i know a thing or two’ .* i start doing the mechanical checks no sooner do i pop the hood i hear smith freak out about being pregnant or some shit and my head makes a thud from the jump she face me * ‘ im good’ * i respond to my partner abd finish my once over of the enginr then move to the cab insert the key and watch the gauges come to life* ‘   Fools left the master on batterys not dead but low, fuels about three quarters full, ill start her grt the battery charged uo needs to be washed anyway damn trucks filthy’ * i climb in and hit the button for out bay ensuring everything electronic that can be off from my seat is off then crank the truck over and ease it outta the door leaveing it running so it charges then move to the back doors* ‘ need me to grab anything from supplys or can i just hit it with the pressure washer real quick, also if you hear a scream just ignore smith  shes ..well youll know if you ever work with her’ * i say  opting to be  polite even though shes a tool*

Edited by Vanguard

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Badge 1714

*I witness Smith scream at someone and then slap them in my station. Smith has caused problems before but this is pretty bad. She sits down on the bench near the door and starts crying*

'What the absolute fuck is your problem?'

*I say as I storm over.*

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

'Jesus fucking christ, That is absolutely no reason to act like that in my fire house. You're on thin ice here and If I didn't have the medical director upstairs waiting to speak to me I would be filling out the disciplinary paperwork to have you suspended. I don't care what ever personal problems you have your at work get that shit under control or get out of my station.'

*I storm off upstairs*

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

-= Duty Room =-
'Sorry for keeping you so long. I got the chiefs email, I had to deal with a behavior problem downstairs. So your going to be riding in a command vehicle with me. I have my ALS set up. Are there any crews you want to observe or types of calls you want to see?' Breslin says to me.

'No problem.' I reply.

*We start walking out into the Bay Area*

-= Bay Area =-

'So I'm not really expecting to follow any particular crew. I just want to kind of respond to calls at will, see how you all operate. I'm not really here to play paramedic. I just want to get a good look at how you guys operate, meet some of the crews, and get a little taste of what you guys are doing out there in the trenches.' I explain to Breslin.

'You know, I'm the director of all these ambulances but I've never really gotten a good first hand look at what you guys are doing out in the field. I'm in charge and I feel like I'm starting see you guys as a bunch of charts, response statistics, and med control recordings. I want to change that. I mean the only time I see you guys is when you drop someone off at County.' I say.

'I had an active medical director when I was on the rig years ago, and it was neat to have someone actively engaged with his crews. So I hope to do something like this a little more regularly.' I say assuringly. 

'...but let me make it clear. I'm not here to take control of the scene or give you guys orders on scene. You guys do you, I'll help where I can, and if you guys need some help I can give some direction.' I start to explain.

'...if I take charge of the patient, then I get stuck riding in with them, which I will if I need to, but I'd rather not...if you catch my drift.' I say.

Edited by Chris07

md1.png
Dr. Chris Grant, DO MPH
Medical Director - Shiloh County EMS
Attending Physician - Emergency Medicine
Shiloh County Hospital Medical Center

'You know, I'm the director of all these ambulances but I've never really gotten a good first hand look at what you guys are doing out in the field. I'm in charge and I feel like I'm starting see you guys as a bunch of charts, response statistics, and med control recordings. I want to change that. I mean the only time I see you guys is when you drop someone off at County.' I say.

'I had an active medical director when I was on the rig years ago, and it was neat to have someone actively engaged with his crews. So I hope to do something like this a little more regularly.' I say assuringly. 

'...but let me make it clear. I'm not here to take control of the scene or give you guys orders on scene. You guys do you, I'll help where I can, and if you guys need some help I can give some direction.' I start to explain.

'I've worked at a few services where the the MD was very hand off and its a nice change of pace to see that. So right now we have M1 and M3. Both are ALS with BLS drivers. The two medics are Murdoch, bit of a burnout but who isnt in this field and Sorenson. Never worked with him but based on what his preceptors said hes a solid medic. BLS is BLS, Jackson gives off creepy hillbilly vibes and Smith who almost got fired as you came in'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

'A colorful crew you got here it seems. I'd love to meet them.' I say interested. 

'Let me just grab my bag from my car and throw it in the back of the car first. Is it unlocked?' I ask as I start to walk off to the parking lot.

*I walk outside, grab the light blue reflective striped bag out of the back of my Ford Edge along with a small black Reebok duffle bag and bring it in side. I throw it into the back of the Command Car*

'I'm just going to change real quick.' I say while closing the command car's back door.

*I head off to my office and change quickly.*

The office is fairly barren. Only the department provided basics are inside: Desk, chair, computer, desk phone, some filing cabinets, a bookshelf filled with protocol/policy binders among other random EMS related books, a trash bin, and two extra chairs...that's it. I think I use my actual office about....once every month/month-and-a-half? 

*I put on my white button up uniform shirt with an SCFD patch on the left shoulder, a gold caduceus on each collar, a name tape with Grant on the right chest, and a SCFD EMS stitched in navy thread on the left chest.*

*I slip on my navy trousers and black leather boots.*

The uniform feels a bit stiff and new. I don't think I've worn this uniform but only a handful of times in the past couple years. I hate wearing the uniform, but I guess it comes with the territory.

All dressed and ready to go I find Breslin

'Alrighty. I think we're all set. Let me meet some of your crew.' 

Edited by Chris07

md1.png
Dr. Chris Grant, DO MPH

*Heading down to the bay I grab my gear and bring it to my spot on the engine.  Setting the gear down I wonder about the noises that were coming from within here.  Ah, well, not my business.  With my stuff all set I leave the bay and head towards the living area.*

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

'Stock looks good back here.'

*I finally finish going over the truck, working off of the check list. Bobby finished his  truck check and has already pulled out to spray off the truck. I climb out, and head over to Bobby.*

'Hey while we're out here, may as well give 'er a bath instead of just a spray down, sound good? If you point me to where the soap and brushes are I can go grab that while you pre soak. She's kinda filthy'

*The doc gets changed out of his civilian clothing and into his uniform. I can tell he looks uncomfortable.*

'Alrighty. I think we're all set. Let me meet some of your crew.' 

'Bro, I work here and I don't want to meet these people.'

*We walk back out into the bay area. I clap my hands to get attention.*

'My guys, I have an announcement.'

*The EMS people start to gather*

'We have a guest joining us this shift. For those who don't know this is Doctor Grant. He is our main medical director. He's going to be riding in the command car and we will be observing you on calls throughout the shift. I'll be turning the floor over to Doctor Grant '

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

* as im wrapping my truck check topping off what needs to be baring fuel eric mentions washing the truck properly* ‘ i was just gonna hit it with the pressure washer and call ut good but ,yeah now that you mention it she needs some TLC, buckets and such are in the storage closet we passed, batterys all charged by the way and the lights all work’ * i saw as i kill the truck having done a walk around of the emergency lights while the oil got topped off,ensureing the master off i shut the drivers door then as im closing the hood the lieutenant acting oddly nice Or seeming to claps to summon us then procedes to introduce the med director,whis uniform seems way to nice i hold my compouser but curse under my breath so the doc and breslin cant hear* ‘ shit, wasent expecting an inspection’ * i hope i dont happen to fuck up with him looking over my shoulder, pays shit but moneys money so i need the job*

Edited by Vanguard

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Badge 1714

"Good morning everyone. Just want to be clear, I'm just riding out with you all to get an idea of how things are operating out here in the field. I just wanted to get a first hand look at how you guys operate. I'm not here to evaluate or test you guys. I just want to experience what thing are like right now, what kinds of challenges you guys are facing, and am looking for potential improvements for the future. So if I show up on your run, just do as you would normally do as if I wasn't there. I have no intention of taking the lead on calls. Just consider me as an extra set of hands. Don't hesitate to put me to work."

*I pause*

"That's really it. If you guys have any issues, concerns, or suggestions you think would help improve the care you all deliver out there, feel free to reach out to me."

I conclude my little speech.

"That's all I got." I say turning it back over to Breslin.

md1.png
Dr. Chris Grant, DO MPH

*I nod at the end of the Dr Grant's little introduction to him working on shift with us. Before Breslin can speak again, our unit is called out for a chest pain call. I give a short dip of my head before heading off to our rig still parked just outside the bay and get in to the passenger side.*

'At this rate we'll never get a chance to was the truck.'

• 5 weeks later...

*As the senior firefighter on the squad, I guess I'm running the show today. That and I'm the only medic on the medic squad. First chance, so I've gotta make sure it's all good. Picking through the compartments, making sure we're good to run, I look over to Cook.*

'What do you think about all this stuff in Selkirk? Think they'll come this way, flee to Canada?'

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Badge 2001

'I thought Shiloh would replace the shit we dealt with in Chicago. Guess some things never change. How you holding up?'

*It's nerve wracking, no doubt. I close the side compartment, and open the passenger's door, checking the tablet, the glove box and everything else I'll need to worry about.*

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Badge 2001

'Well, I suppose I'm fine.  Grew up in Vermont but I do have some family in the Selkirk area.  Not Selkirk itself.  However they should be fine.  They'd have no reason to be in that area.'

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

• 1 month later...

*After hearing assignments I head down to the bay and ready my gear next to the engine.  Then I head out to the parking lot to my truck.  Dropping the tailgate I hop up into the bed and open up my tool chest.  Pulling out my black Gibson Standard guitar and portable amp I walk back to the tailgate.  Hooking up my stuff I take a seat on the gate and place my guitar on my lap.  Let's gets some complaints going.  Placing my hands on the strings I start strumming out the chords to the tune of Knights of Cydonia by Muse.*

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

*I walk out to the usual spot where I smoke and I see one of the firefighters doing the douchiest thing I can imagine. Playing a guitar in the back of his personal truck, What a fuck boy move playing some indie rock nonsense. Seriously who does this. I flick my cigarette out. As I walk by him.*

'And now Wonderwall.'

*I say in a dumb sounding voice loud enough to be sure he heard me over his stupid guitar

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

*Hearing Breslin's sarcastic request I respond as I continue playing.*

'Oh, sorry, don't know that one.  Perhaps you mistake me for some fuckboy trying to impress girls on campus or in a park?'

*At current I'm about half-way through the song I'm playing and wanting to play something else.  So I transition from playing Knights of Cydonia to Klendathu Drop off the Starship Troopers soundtrack.*

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021