Duty Room

K. Summers

*i take a small piece of cake* 

'looks like i'm on Engine for this shift so i'm going to get my gear moved over to Engine.. Have a Safe shift sir'

*i leave the duty room to go move my gear over to Engine* 

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Kathrine Clark 
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2012

• 4 weeks later...

*What a shit show of a drive. Having to leave almost 30 minutes earlier, I finally pull into the land of cow shit and burned mills. Parking on the freshly paved lot, all I can think is, thank god we weren't the first crew to have to stay here. I hate gravel lots. Looking around, I don't see any cars I recognize, so it's likely everyone is feeling the extra commute. I swear, if I find out who is responsible for this move, I'm sticking them on the old engine we've gotta run. Thing's almost as old as me. Jesus. I don't like having less experience in the fire service than my equipment.

*Walking up to the bay side man door, I see an out of place looking mag reader. I swipe my wallet over it and hear the click as the door unlocks. I walk in and look at the white elephants that are ours. There's a couple ambulances, and then, with almost matching paint jobs, an open cab engine, elderly rescue unit and a brush unit that was new when Nirvana was. The white and orange is an odd look, but the red numbers with the brand new SCFD stickers on the doors look even weirder. I really hope the new units arrive soon.

*I walk into the main area, see an office with a plastic sign on the door. Officer's offices. Heh. Interesting name, guess Mathers didn't share workspace. Looking down one side, I see a Kitchenette, and the washrooms, up the other way I see... MURPHY BEDS. Fuck. As I walk in with my bag, I size up the room. Walls lined with Murphy beds, each with a little storage shelf, and then a couple folding tables and chairs in the middle. No leather recliners here.*

'Hey, Jen Noel How's the Murphy bed?'

'All yours is how it is. They can't finish that new wing fast e-fucking-nough' The leaving shift firefighter says.

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*First shift with a new department and I have to drive all the way from Fort Shannon to the sticks because I was assigned to a newly acquired station in Kimberly.  Had to wake up early just to be sure I would arrive on time so I'm a bit tired as the caffeine from my Venom Energy drink hasn't kicked in yet; neither has the nicotine from my cigarette.  Yawning as I turn in to the parking lot I turn off the music from the Newsboys playing in my Nissan and step on the brakes as I come to a halt in the parking spot I picked out.  Turning off the engine I open the door and step out of the truck as I dump my cigarette onto the ground.  Stomping out the butt I shut the door behind me and head on inside of the station where I head to the duty room for assignments.*

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

* getting an extremly ladt minute text from my other shift counterpart im thankful i keep uniforms in my toolbox of my truck but that doesn’t help the fact  a part of me wants to bitchslap whoever the fuck got us whats obviously some kinda punishment detail for some fuck op they did  never the less i pull my truck into the property and park and lock it grabbing  the duffelbag  i used the day i completed my contract with the navy,sling it over my shoulder and head inside to parade not bothering to put my bag wherever were sleeping* ‘ok who fucked up,why the punishment detail here?’ * i say as i rifle through my duffel removing my helmet and  rifle through the pairs of turnouts and uniforms i managed to cram in with it*

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

*I leave the house much later than usual, being only ten or fifteen minutes away from the house, tops. I pull into the parking lot, parking behind Noel. I grab my gear bag and my duffel, strolling into the station.*

'Morning guys,' *I say cheerily. Today was off to a great start. I had gotten to sleep in, what with the move to Kimberly.*

u22apc.png

Acting Platoon Chief Marcus Stone
Unit 22

Badge 1909

* after a long painful ride to the kimberly station i pull my 3500 into the lot wishing i had taken skylars  green wrangler instead,all the sane i exit my truck after parking it  and grab my stuff outta the back seat then head inside,a quick glance if the buikding tells me it’s rough but the fkeet thr firemen have is rougher, i move to step into where were meeting with a gym bag if gear over my shoulder* 

‘ howdy y’all, i havent seen fire trucks like those sense my time with the fire response crews on my familys ranch, i knew mathers was a fuck wit but with the gear he has after what he done,now i know hes way way more then one’

Edited by Vanguard

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 1714

*''At least it's not a long drive" I think as I walk into the admittedly very run down building not too far from my house. It's kind of nice, not having to drive so far but I like the pace out in the city to consider transferring out here permanently. It's a nice change, though.*

'Morning everyone.'

spacer.png

Firefighter Paramedic Michaela Gray
Rescue 9

Badge 1208

*After parking my Pathfinder in the parking lot I head on in to the new station that looks like it hasn't had any work done on it since the 80s.  Having a bad feeling about this shift I'm already wanting to go home.*

'Here'

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 1315

*I walk into this.. ramshackle station we're calling home for a while. "sprucing up the station my ass" I think to myself. We're here because of how we handled that mill fire - the cussing over the radio had not gone over well. On my way in I walk past the reclaimed KVFR units that we're calling ours. Gods above they're old.*

'Alright ladies and gents, welcome to Kimberly. While we're out here, we're to make the station a bit more.. livable. Assignments are on the whiteboard.'

Engine 9 - Summers, Wilson, Valentine, Cook.

Rescue 9 - Stone, Noel, Rogers, Grey

FireCpt%20Generic.png

Captain Karen Summers
Unit Not Assigned

Badge 1612

• 4 weeks later...

*I step into the duty room, travel mug in hand but now about only half full of coffee after the ride in, and take quick note that the room is empty. Exactly my intention for my first full shift back - to be the first one in. I take a seat toward the front, placing my mug on the table in front of me. I pull out my phone, glancing at the time for a moment before scrolling through social media yet again to see what little changed so early in the morning since I last checked as I await more staff to enter*

image.png

Paramedic Doug McGuire
Medic 1

Badge 0907

*Thank god. I never thought I'd miss a city so much, but here we are. Practically kissing the ground in Fort Shannon, because it's not cow explosion town. I wonder, what's gonna happen to put us out there again? I heard there's new equipment in tow, but man, I have zero desire to return.*

'How's it going?' I say as I walk in, dropping my personal bag at the foot of the table and pulling up a chair. Some personal uniform items, and other belongs make up the most of that duffel. I leave my outer jacket on, and sit down, undoing the zipper while I wait for the others to report in.*

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*I walk into the duty room, my signature Bang in hand. It was almost disappointing being back in Fort Shannon. I had enjoyed our time in Kimberly, especially with it being so close to home. Turns out I kind of missed the small town vibe. But still, nothing beat the big-city call volume in Fort Shannon. I take a seat, glancing around to see who else had arrived.*

'Morning, y'all.'

u22apc.png

Acting Platoon Chief Marcus Stone
Unit 22

Badge 1909

*I walk into the duty room and take a seat. It felt great to be back in Fort Shannon, back in the city where I belonged. Kimberly had been an interesting experience, but it was definitely one I didn't care to repeat. Small town thing just wasn't for me. And those trucks, god they were old. I had run on trucks like them back when I first joined the fire department nearly thirty years ago. It was insane.*

ladder31ff.png

Firefighter Dave Wilson
Ladder 1

Badge 2013

*Entering the duty room I'm thankful that we're at Station 1 in Fort Shannon.  Kimberly was alright but Station 1 is a simple walk away from my apartment so not needing to drive my near deathtrap of a truck is nice.*

'Here'

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

• Kat changed the title to Duty Room